Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowered the car yesterday.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 10:29 PM
Fox Fader
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang7599
So the panhard bar isn't "required" to complete this mod?
No, it's NOT required. Visually my rear axle looks centered.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:51 PM
BowtieBrother

Default Spring questions

I have a 02 GT that I would like to lower. I know it is gonna knock my control arms and tie rod ends out of parallel. All I can find are progressive rate springs in lowering kits. Do they even make Linear rate lowering kits? All info is welcome!
Old 02-03-2014, 05:42 AM
JimC

Originally Posted by BowtieBrother
I have a 02 GT that I would like to lower. I know it is gonna knock my control arms and tie rod ends out of parallel. All I can find are progressive rate springs in lowering kits. Do they even make Linear rate lowering kits? All info is welcome!
You need to post this in the correct section - this is the S197 (2005+) so not many people are going to be able to answer your question. Repost in the 2002 section for better results.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:22 AM
clix813
4th Gear Member

Ok to clear it up. I put a panhard bar in. Yes its hard to tell with stock size tires but it was still a 1/4 inch off. When I get wider tires it would have looked a lot worse. Also 18s with a larger tire over all does fill the fender up a lot. Just look at all the pictures. 17s with a taller tire would do the same thing but the wheel selection is just not there. I want something different from my wheels right now. They are just painted flat black. I would love a different design over all I have thoughts in my head of a cs front and rear bumpers 2.5 cowl hood, flat black stripes and 13 gt500 wheels in flat black also. This is all long way down the road but I guess its good to have a goal.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:23 AM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mustang7599
So the panhard bar isn't "required" to complete this mod?
To maintain a centered rear axle housing, an adj panhard bar is required if using any 1.5" lowering springs. Some guys don't mind their rear axle being kicked out to the side a little bit, but in my eyes it's not acceptable by any means. I want all 4 wheels to be perfectly centered in their position for any car I drive, regardless if it's a performance car or not.

Let me know if there's anything else I can clarify for you!

Shane
Old 02-03-2014, 10:39 PM
need4speed
Former Sponsor

looking good.

Just enough of a drop to give it a nice look but enough space to keep nice size tires

I like it
Old 02-04-2014, 10:12 PM
l00kitzzlilcj
2nd Gear Member

Looks good. Going to be dropping my own soon on Eibach pro kits.. just about the same height.

Are you looking into upper and lower CA's or no? I've been reading how changing ride heights affects the pinion angle so I've been doing endless amounts of searching about this issue and thinking about getting control arms to adjust the angle.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:27 AM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by l00kitzzlilcj
Looks good. Going to be dropping my own soon on Eibach pro kits.. just about the same height.

Are you looking into upper and lower CA's or no? I've been reading how changing ride heights affects the pinion angle so I've been doing endless amounts of searching about this issue and thinking about getting control arms to adjust the angle.
In my opinion, an adjustable upper control arm isn't really needed unless you're lowering more than 1.5".
Old 02-07-2014, 11:01 AM
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky
To maintain a centered rear axle housing, an adj panhard bar is required if using any 1.5" lowering springs. Some guys don't mind their rear axle being kicked out to the side a little bit, but in my eyes it's not acceptable by any means. I want all 4 wheels to be perfectly centered in their position for any car I drive, regardless if it's a performance car or not. ... etc ...
Originally Posted by clix813
Ok to clear it up. I put a panhard bar in. Yes its hard to tell with stock size tires but it was still a 1/4 inch off. When I get wider tires it would have looked a lot worse. ... etc ...
If 1/4" off, do you mean only 1/4" difference?

If so, you only needed to move the axle 1/8" to make it perfect as that would take 1/8 off one side and add 1/8 to the other.

I'd "move the holes" if I needed no further than that.

Last edited by tbear853; 02-08-2014 at 01:38 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:31 PM
AricTrueTexan
1st Gear Member

Nice looking stang man the drop looks good.

Quick Reply: Lowered the car yesterday.