Search



Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

2005 - 2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by Latemodel Restoration


Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!


Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-31-2014, 12:38 PM   #1
RazorGT
2nd Gear Member
 
RazorGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Vehicle: Mustang GT No Bailout Premium Edition
Location: USA
Posts: 334
Default will the shop i go to be able to do tranny flush and coolant flush or do ineed dealer

06 gt auto, i hear we got a tranny that has a special bolt that only a ford tech with a ford tool can open to drain/replace to fluid and filter...is this true? and if it is why would they do this?? 1% reasons?

what about the coolant?

theres a shop in my town that is amazing, its run by 2 guys who were local race car drivers, not only are they magic workers in the garage - they are cheap as hell! on my last mustang they did coolant flush, serpentine belt, sparks+ wires, rear pinion seal all for 150$. (i bought the parts myself) They are really great and you usually have to book a week in advance for an appointment. Dealer wanted 250$ just for the coolant flush!

So I really want to give them as much business as I can and save $ and hope they can do my tranny and coolant...will they be able to or do i gotta go to stealership?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
__________________
GT
RazorGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 01:56 PM   #2
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Vehicle: 2005 Mustang
Location: Acworth, GA
Posts: 12,069
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorGT View Post
06 gt auto, i hear we got a tranny that has a special bolt that only a ford tech with a ford tool can open to drain/replace to fluid and filter...is this true? and if it is why would they do this?? 1% reasons?

what about the coolant?

theres a shop in my town that is amazing, its run by 2 guys who were local race car drivers, not only are they magic workers in the garage - they are cheap as hell! on my last mustang they did coolant flush, serpentine belt, sparks+ wires, rear pinion seal all for 150$. (i bought the parts myself) They are really great and you usually have to book a week in advance for an appointment. Dealer wanted 250$ just for the coolant flush!

So I really want to give them as much business as I can and save $ and hope they can do my tranny and coolant...will they be able to or do i gotta go to stealership?
Why are you asking us? Better yet why don't you ask them?...... -_-
__________________
Eddie
Livernois 298 stroker
2005Redfire6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:26 PM   #3
RazorGT
2nd Gear Member
 
RazorGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Vehicle: Mustang GT No Bailout Premium Edition
Location: USA
Posts: 334
Default

because i don't expect them to know every single thing about every single car that is made - I'd rather find out here rather than take it to them then find out last minute they can't access it.
__________________
GT
RazorGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:38 PM   #4
Csrt4to5.0gt
2nd Gear Member
 
Csrt4to5.0gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Vehicle: 2013 Ford Mustang GT
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 218
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorGT View Post
because i don't expect them to know every single thing about every single car that is made - I'd rather find out here rather than take it to them then find out last minute they can't access it.
Reputable mechanics, especially one that work on modern cars and have a background in auto racing will know what is needed or not needed to work on brand specific problems with cars. Call them on the phone and state your concerns. I guarantee you that they will know whether they can perform the job or not.
__________________
current ride:
2013 Ford Mustang GT base 6spd manual
options:sync/tech package
Mods:93 octane race tune by AmericanMuscle/Bama performance
Pypes pype bomb axle backs and a K&N air filter
Csrt4to5.0gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:55 PM   #5
RazorGT
2nd Gear Member
 
RazorGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Vehicle: Mustang GT No Bailout Premium Edition
Location: USA
Posts: 334
Default

i called and he said that he can

but i heard a while ago that u have to get tranny fluid flushed at a dealer because they have a ford shaped bolt that only a dealer tech can open to drain the fluid.
__________________
GT
RazorGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 03:05 PM   #6
Csrt4to5.0gt
2nd Gear Member
 
Csrt4to5.0gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Vehicle: 2013 Ford Mustang GT
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 218
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorGT View Post
i called and he said that he can

but i heard a while ago that u have to get tranny fluid flushed at a dealer because they have a ford shaped bolt that only a dealer tech can open to drain the fluid.
I'm sure they have equipment to tackle different manufacturer specific bolts and whatnot. My girlfriends mom has a 2012 Chevy equinox that needs a specific GM part# socket to take the oil filter off to change the oil. I had all the oil drained when I noticed this dilemma. So, I called Auto zone and they sell the socket at their store. So I'm, more than sure, you'll be fine.
__________________
current ride:
2013 Ford Mustang GT base 6spd manual
options:sync/tech package
Mods:93 octane race tune by AmericanMuscle/Bama performance
Pypes pype bomb axle backs and a K&N air filter
Csrt4to5.0gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 03:26 PM   #7
RazorGT
2nd Gear Member
 
RazorGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Vehicle: Mustang GT No Bailout Premium Edition
Location: USA
Posts: 334
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csrt4to5.0gt View Post
I'm sure they have equipment to tackle different manufacturer specific bolts and whatnot. My girlfriends mom has a 2012 Chevy equinox that needs a specific GM part# socket to take the oil filter off to change the oil. I had all the oil drained when I noticed this dilemma. So, I called Auto zone and they sell the socket at their store. So I'm, more than sure, you'll be fine.
alright, thanks
__________________
GT
RazorGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 03:28 PM   #8
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert
 
157dB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Vehicle: 2007 Pony Package
Location: NW Arkansas
Posts: 13,286
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorGT View Post
i called and he said that he can

but i heard a while ago that u have to get tranny fluid flushed at a dealer because they have a ford shaped bolt that only a dealer tech can open to drain the fluid.
dealer tech only bolt tool.
Now I have heard it all.

cept the BonAmi down the intake to help seat piston rings...

U heard wrong

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=245&viewfil...ain%20Plug.pdf

special fill tool maybe
__________________
NON PUMKIN JACKER
http://www.mustangforums.com/forum/5...-this-car.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronos View Post
You and that darn manual! If you like it so much, maybe you should marry it!
157dB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:38 AM   #9
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Vehicle: 2005 Mustang
Location: Acworth, GA
Posts: 12,069
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 157dB View Post
dealer tech only bolt tool.
Now I have heard it all.

cept the BonAmi down the intake to help seat piston rings...

U heard wrong

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=245&viewfil...ain%20Plug.pdf

special fill tool maybe
Lol... dB coming in again!
__________________
Eddie
Livernois 298 stroker
2005Redfire6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:11 AM   #10
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member
 
tx_zstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Vehicle: 2006 Turbo V6; 2005 V6->V8 swap beast
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 2,330
Default

...well if he wasnt, I was!!!
special tools indeed...HA!
I've filled several auto trans with no special tools.

Now if you do a 'flush' as described in the service manuals, there is more to that. However, people have had issues after a "flush" due to debris getting dislodged and then getting into the system.

Changing the fluid and filter should be done and will change most of the fluid in the system.
__________________
Mike - 2005 Stroked/Forged/Cammed V8 (5.0L.); Kenne Bell 2.6 @ 18psi, + many mods. (formerly a V6 w/Vortech supercharger);
- 2006 4.0 V6 with PH Turbo and TR6060
tx_zstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:11 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang




Paid Advertisement

 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
New Sponsors
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:17 AM.

© Internet Brands, Inc.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford® is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company
Emails Backup