Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cluster swap to GT; functionality questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 12:51 AM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

Question Cluster swap to GT; functionality questions

I know I will need to get it reflashed at a dealer at the end, but here are some extra questions:

1. As soon as I plug the new cluster in, will it accurately display my speed and RPMs?

2. Will the oil and battery gauge work without any extra wiring? Is that data already being fed to the cluster?

3. If I wait to go to the dealer to reflash, will the miles I put on the car during the time I drive with the new cluster be lost? Does the car keep track of the mileage elsewhere?

And finally, for those who have done this, what is the cost for reflashing at a dealer?

Last edited by defiance; 02-03-2014 at 12:55 AM.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:38 AM
R1nStang
2nd Gear Member

so your swapping out a gauge cluster....are you going from the v6 to the gt cluster? not sure why you think you would need to have the car flashed for the cluster to work. most of the time the mileage is saved in the cluster itself so your true mileage will be wrong. as for the speedometer you would have to recalibrate it. you MAY be able to do that with a tuner and a custom tune but i wouldnt get my hopes up of that working correctly. I dont know all the differences in the v6 to GT clusters.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:20 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

are you sure the dealer will do this for you?
Old 02-03-2014, 08:20 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Yes it will accurately display RPMs and MPH, these are configurations stored in the cluster.
Yes the extra GT gauges will work from day 1, it gets the information of the CAN bus.
The dealership will set the odometer, in the 05-09 mustangs, the mileage is stored in the cluster, so if you make a note of how many miles you have driven since installing it, you can have the dealership add those miles to the miles from your old cluster.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:07 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

... the reasons to get the dealer (or shop who can do it) are:
-> to activate/deactivate the systems that are appropriate for your car, referred to as "as-built data". This includes things like ABS, TCS, and Tire Pressure Monitor (depending on the cluster).
-> to get the mileage accurate.

If you get ahold of a gauge that has the proper things activated and the mileage is very close to your actual mileage, there is no need to get it programmed at the dealer. The odometer will be off to begin with by the difference in the odometers in the two clusters, but everything will work.

If you V6 has ABS and TCS and you put in a GT cluster, the cluster should work as-is.
If your v6 does not have ABS or TCS, when you plug in the GT cluster, the ABS, Brake, and TCS lights will come on and/or flash and give warnings. But all other functions will work, including speedometer, tach, and the smaller gauges.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:06 AM
akdoggie
2nd Gear Member

I put a GT cluster into my v6 and everything works perfectly. The speedo is dead on, and tach is also. the gauges all function correctly. My one difference was I didn't have ABs/traction loc. I blocked those off under the cluster face. You wouldn't know that they were on. The MyColor is what sold me on this cluster and getting the GT version was a plus. The head I got was within 632 miles of my original, so I ate the extra miles rather than trying to find a dealer (which I couldn't find) that would reprogram the cluster.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:43 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

I switched the cluster on my GT and now it beeps when I put it in reverse and also when the car hits 75 MPH. Kind of annoying but I'd rather put up with it than have to take it to the dealer. My car has never been back to the dealer since I bought it 6 years ago and I'm not about to break that streak.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:32 PM
fordguy1

just put a premium cluster (and OK switch) in a base 2014 GT..had to use vin from a 2014 manual premium model for cluster as-built data,PMI on pcm with IDS(which updated PCM to latest calibration,) parameter reset and program keys................traction light,brake light and ABS light on after install...installed ABS as-built data from the premium model ,cleared DTC;s everything works and all warning lights off.........

side note...had a BAMA SCT tune which I put back to stock before starting...tried to reload tune,SCT would not load said ECU unsupported tried to update firmware on SCT tuner and tuner died....****

test drive retest for DTCs... none...but noticed VIN on IDS was from premium model...reset pcm to correct vin....ABS, traction and brake lights come back on. had to reinstall as-built data for ABS module from premium model again...all good......except for the friggin SCT tuner I hope SCT can repair...
Old 03-24-2014, 10:14 AM
Mrbobcat
2nd Gear Member

So what you're saying is you can put the premium cluster (with track apps) in a base GT?
Old 03-25-2014, 09:12 AM
Byock

Yes, you can. I am currently looking for a premium cluster for my base 14 GT.

Quick Reply: Cluster swap to GT; functionality questions