Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering my stang, will rear end be safe?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 08:32 PM
l00kitzzlilcj
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lethaldosage423
I would absolutely upgrade the UCA. I'm doing that next on mine after seeing this

https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l...on-issues.html
Wow. I mean wow that left me shocked. Well after that im probably just going to get one.

How hard would the install be on my 06 gt? I heard something about dropping the gas tank down is that true? I also heard Ford recommends the bolts and the assortment of nuts that have to come off should be replaced instead of reused as well.. should I do that?
Old 02-06-2014, 06:00 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Smart decision to upgrade the UCA. I can't help you with install on an '06, it is slightly different than '10-'14. If you're going to upgrade your suspension you might as well do it right the first time and save yourself headache later on down the road. Buy a UCA with Poly-bushing and you will notice very little, if any extra NVH. Any added noise should be drowned out by the sound of your exhaust!
Old 02-06-2014, 08:02 AM
l00kitzzlilcj
2nd Gear Member

Well I could just always go back under a different day and install a uca lol no? It doesnt require moving any other suspension pieces if im correct.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:27 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by darksky1984
**For as little as your drive your car and since you're not dropping the car to the ground you will be fine in regards to pinion angle.** Are you getting an adjustable pan hard bar to re-center your rear end too? If you just lower the car and don't get the bar you will notice that your rear end sits an inch or so more on one side of the car. Some people say that you don't need one but I recommend getting one for peace of mind.
I agree ^^
Old 02-06-2014, 09:28 AM
l00kitzzlilcj
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05 Mustang
I agree ^^
I thought the same as well. I mean I could check out how hard the install looks for me, which I most likely can do it. Only thing I don't like is how the nuts are said to not be reused once removed.. I don't really like tampering with stuff like that so at the same time I want to just leave it alone ya know?
Old 02-06-2014, 01:18 PM
darksky1984
2nd Gear Member

Ford says to replace the nuts for a legal, CYA, reason. The nuts, unless rusted, will be ok to use again. I've never had an issue with keeping the stock hardware on any of the cars that I have worked on. The reason they say to buy new hardware is due to the stress that is put on it when it gets torqued down. However, you would have to buy new bolts everytime you get an alignment because they loosen your suspension bolts to adjust your alignment. I've never seen an alignment shop replace the bolts so it isn't needed to buy new ones. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:08 PM
l00kitzzlilcj
2nd Gear Member

Oh so basically if the hardware is in okay structural condition then they could be reused. Didn't know that. Hmm.. if theres not going to be any extra annoying vibrations or clunking or other noises, i guess it just comes down to whether or not I feel like making the purchase and doing the install.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:01 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Cool video! Now I want to see how much mine moves. I have poly uca and replaced the rear axle upper bushing with poly one.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:01 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

A 1.5 drop will not put your PA out of whack with a stock driveshaft at all. You don't have to get an adjustable UCA. If you do get one the install is basic on a 06. I have the same car. You don't have to drop the gas tank not even close. LCA will eliminate all wheel hop and are a great cheap mod. I reused all the bolts. An adjustable panhard is a must with your drop and installs really easy. I have all J&M parts and have no noises, squeaks etc with them. They make high quality parts for a great price. My car is raced 75-100 runs down the drag strip every year so it's driven hard.
I would suggest GT500 strut mounts when changing the front springs. My stockers literally fell apart when I took out the front spring assembly. It's a well spent $100, AM has them cheap.

With those mods your car will drive and look so much better. I only did a 1" drop and am amazed at how much nicer it feels and looks.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:07 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

I lowered mine an inch and saw(felt) no difference other than the differential shifted slightly to the side.

Quick Reply: Lowering my stang, will rear end be safe?