Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting a jack under a lowered car...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 11:08 AM
astentine
2nd Gear Member

I've done the same as most other posters. Started with using the spare tire jack to get it high enough for a standard jack. That worked just fine. A little more work/time, but nothing bad.

Best thing I did was get a Harbor Freight low profile jack. Slides under my lowered car easily and works very well. Like others have said, HF has sales all the time, wait until the jack is on sale if you don't want to pay full price. It's worth it.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:56 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
I'm afraid I don't understand your reluctance to using boards - they're as reliable in this function as anvils are for hammering metal on.
It's more that I just don't really want to move the car, but oh well. I had actually intended to get some boards beforehand and never did. I think I'll just pick up a 2x10 and cut it into 2' sections.

Off topic, but does anyone know why a treated 2x10 is cheaper than a regular 2x10? Seems odd.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:20 PM
RetiredSFC 97
1st Gear Member

HF sells the same things as everyone else who shops at China. I have a low profile jack from HF I've been lifting a Corvette up for almost 5 years. I also use it lift the rear of my kwik lift with the car on it.

I will add this though, I don't crawl under it unless it's on stands. But I don't trust any jack these days because most of them are made in China.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:38 PM
darksky1984
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97
I will add this though, I don't crawl under it unless it's on stands. But I don't trust any jack these days because most of them are made in China.
I agree, I would never crawl under a car unless it is on jack stands and the wheels are blocked no matter how good a said jack is. I knew a guy who was killed when his mustang rolled back when it was on jack stands. His rear end was jacked up but he didn't chalk his front wheels and he torqued the car enough that it rolled and crushed him to death. Safety isn't something to be messed with when working on cars.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:38 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

My car fell off jack stands a couple years ago...fortunately, it was while I had taken a couple wheels off to get tires mounted and it was the back. My Spohn relocation brackets basically saved a good bit of the underside of my car!

It was my own stupidity too...jacked the car up and put it on jackstands, on asphalt, on a hot day, on a very slight incline. Definitely an eye opener. I did take two of my jackstands and weld 2" angle to the bottom to keep them from sinking into the asphalt and having that happen again.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:21 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Get yourself some 2x10 boards. palce them on the garage floor the next time you move your car. then just leave them there and park on them everytime. that way you can fit a jack underneath anytime you want.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:31 PM
RetiredSFC 97
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by darksky1984
I agree, I would never crawl under a car unless it is on jack stands and the wheels are blocked no matter how good a said jack is. I knew a guy who was killed when his mustang rolled back when it was on jack stands. His rear end was jacked up but he didn't chalk his front wheels and he torqued the car enough that it rolled and crushed him to death. Safety isn't something to be messed with when working on cars.

I had a pick up fall on me years ago. Flat tire and all I had was a bottle jack. I was on the freeway and had to crawl up under it to fetch a lug nut and a car came by and blew it off the jack. Luckily for me it was a 4x4 and high enough that all it did was pin me under it. I finally wiggled out from under it, said a prayer of thanks and was on my way.

Safety first, always!!!
Old 02-13-2014, 05:23 PM
DGRacing

I bought a low profile jack. Works great.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:19 PM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

Amazon.com: Arcan XL2T Black Low Profile Steel Service Jack - 2 Ton Capacity: Automotive Amazon.com: Arcan XL2T Black Low Profile Steel Service Jack - 2 Ton Capacity: Automotive

this one is great
we use it all the time
and it can go on a car as low as 3"
Old 02-14-2014, 07:11 PM
jz
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx_zstang
I use a low-profile racing jack from harbor freight; they have them on sale from time to time for $69. I place the jack behind the rocker panel onto the frame and lift by the frame (not under the lip).
I have the same jack, and also got it for $69. Can't beat it! It's a great jack.

Quick Reply: Getting a jack under a lowered car...