Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

considering GT again?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 06:04 PM
Mrbobcat
2nd Gear Member

Default considering GT again?

Hey guys, I'm back checking out the mustang again. I was thinking of getting one a couple years ago when my genesis coupe lease was about to expire but ended up getting another gencoupe. I got a 2013 base black auto 2.0t. Its a decent car and like the color, but didn't realize how hard black would be to keep clean. Its not the best in the winter either with the stock all-seasons and was thinking of upgrading to some cont. DWS or winters. Anyway I was checking out other cars like the WRX for the awd, but see they come with summer tires and don't really budge on price much. Just for the heck of it I searched for mustangs and saw that you can find some GT's for around 25k! Most likely base models, but thats ok.

So my main questions are, how are these in the snow and whats typical mileage like? I'm guessing they can't be much worse than my current car and good tires would make a big difference. I'm not sure if it will be possible either as I still owe almost 20k on my car and it looks like trade-in would be around 18.5k tops and I would only do it if I can come really close to breaking even. I know Hyundai would give me more or possibly try to sell privately (good luck this time of year) or I heard carmax usually gives you a decent price.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:47 PM
OSUTX440
3rd Gear Member

We just got 8 inches in Ohio, and I wouldn't even attempt to drive it in the snow. And if I do, I pray and feather the throttle.

I think typically you will see 18 to 22mpg, thats what I see and I live in the city.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:52 PM
Mrbobcat
2nd Gear Member

That's not bad mileage, I average about 22.5 in my car and its only a 2L. I can get close to 25 in the summer if I baby it, but thats not much fun. I'm guessing an auto be a little better in snow than a manual?
Old 02-06-2014, 07:47 PM
TheDivaDanielle
3rd Gear Member

These things are great in the snow. Of all the RWD cars I've had, they are by far the best.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:01 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

dont get a WRX..i traded in my 12 WRX for my 12 GT. I originally traded my 10 GT for the WRX and hated every min of it. the Subaru is just pure junk with no ***** at all. I have been driving my car all winter and it has done perfectly fine not 1 slip yet. drove in snow, ice storm we got this week and does perfectly fine as long as you dont drive stupid. I have ice tires on it though. I wont be driving it next winter though I am going to get a beater so it doesnt get beat up. I average about 16-17mpg city as majority of my commute is all stop and go and barely get over 35mph
Old 02-06-2014, 08:26 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

how a car does "in the snow" is equal parts weight distribution and tires. none of the modern GTs come with tires that are worth anything in the snow, but their weight distribution is such that if you put a set of good winter tires on it you should be OK.

Me? I leave the P-Zeros on mine and drive the Ranger when there's snow on the ground. Said Ranger is shod with Winterforce UVs.

and AWD/4WD on summer or high-performance "all season" tires is still mostly worthless on snow. I still get plenty of opportunities to laugh my *** off watching bros with RX-8s and BMWs get stuck in 1" of packed snow on level ground because they're still running summer tires.

Last edited by jz78817; 02-06-2014 at 08:28 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:12 PM
todcp
1st Gear Member

I also found the GT too difficult in the snow even with top snow tires. Parked it and bought a winter beater. Winter is a bit harsh here in the northern NH mountains.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:46 PM
TheDivaDanielle
3rd Gear Member

I'm completely amazed at your thoughts.

My old '06 was perfect in the snow w/ the factory tires. It had the 17" Bullitt wheels
my '13 is perfect in the snow with the Goodyear Eagle RS/A's that I now have on the 19" Brembos in lieu of the stock F1 SuperCars

Snow tires would have made both of them even better, but they were fine as is.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:39 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
These things are great in the snow.
So, you are being serious? I really thought you were being sarcastic.

OP, these cars are not even good in the snow. They suck. They will get you by with some really good winter tires. The only thing that is great in the snow is a 4WD truck or SUV. More than 2-3" and you can forget about driving a Mustang anywhere in the snow. The stock Pirelli's turn to hockey pucks in the cold weather. I've seen 2 Mustangs wrecked this year alone because the owner thought they could drive in the snow. We're not even talking about a lot of it either. Most was maybe 4" when they wrecked.

As for mileage. I get 19-20 mpg on my daily commute, and about 23-25 highway. Not bad, but most of us on this forum didn't buy the 5.0 because they are good on gas. Its all about smiles per gallon, which the 5.0 will provide plenty.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:39 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

I used to have an extra set of wheels with blizzaks on them for the 06 and 10 GT's and had no problems getting around. A 97 with studded also did extremely well. Now though, I drive my pickup instead, but with the right tires they are just fine. Also, I'd recommend a manual but that's me. I would start it in second if first was breaking traction. Im sure you can do the same with the automatic.