Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust on automatic GT = a waste?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 12:21 PM
Mrbobcat
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rudolph Hucker
as i keep saying if the mustang had a modern clutch and gearbox it would be my prefered option.
seeing as the drivetrain slop
the crude no feel clutch
the notchy noisy gearboxes
these are all problems i cant live with...so happy i went over to auto..the mustang isnt a sports car anyway ffs..it's a gt car..
if and when ford fit a proper clutch gearbox and drive train then it's a no no for a manual for me...
dont forget how far u have to press the clutch is use it..unless u have really long legs a manual mustang will be a nightmare to drive
So the manual isn't that good after all? I just heard that they were a little weak on another forum, but that the auto was almost bulletproof. If that is true, it may make my decision easier if I can work out a decent deal. Most of the cars I found with the biggest discounts are manual, but there are a couple auto's for a couple grand more.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:28 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Best bet is to try it out for yourself. My wife had no trouble with it and she's maybe 5'-1.

Norm
Old 02-24-2014, 08:15 AM
jhawkr
2nd Gear Member

It's all personal preference. I really enjoy the skill of executing a perfect 3->2 downshift with a heel/toe throttle blip as I approach a sharp turn. I also like the ability to keep the absolutely correct gear to maximize my acceleration coming past the apex. You can't do that effectively with an automatic - even with manual shift or "gear hold" technology - as the gears are sequential.
I'm close to 61 years old and preferred manual transmissions until I was in my 50's. I've made more perfect shifts and down-shifts that I could possibly count since my 1st car, a 3-sp manual in 1968. It's fun for a minute and then it turns into drudgery for me now. Different strokes and all.