Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust on automatic GT = a waste?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 06:56 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by VistaBlueGT/CS
. . . the sound of a vehicle running through the gears with more variation in rpm like you get with a manual.
You can always hear the difference the transmission makes, and there's just something "crisper" or "cleaner" sounding about revs that have to stay in sync with the car's acceleration and gearchanges . . . something that's not quite there when a torque converter is involved.

At the dragstrip the reactions probably differ - I'm guessing they vary between "it doesn't matter" to "you can always tell who is handicapped by having to work a clutch".

Around here on the streets it seems that most of the loud exhausts are on domestic pickup trucks, which of course are all automatics. As crudely and rudely as many of those things are driven I'd go out of my way to avoid sounding like them if I had any automatic transmission V8 cars.

OP - I wouldn't exactly call it a waste, just be aware of what else you'll sound like.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 02-13-2014 at 07:03 AM.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:48 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

not putting any axel backs on me 2010
no need..this years gt has a pipe going from the airbox into the cabin..the growl of the v8 is just mind blowing...not gonna change perfection
Old 02-13-2014, 11:25 AM
Rocket Ray
2nd Gear Member

The first mod I made to my 07 automatice was to buy the GT350 mufflers from Ninosport. They are a little louder than stock, but very quiet was not lead-footing it.

It is definitly worth it in my opinion.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:50 AM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

The video isn't going to really do it justice, but you might want to just go get your cats deleted. This is when I had 40s (went with some quieter Roush mufflers) right after I got rid of the cats. Definitely gave it a more aggressive tone, but it tended to drone and trumpet at a certain RPM, so I welded resonators behind the mufflers and they sounded smooth and great.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:12 PM
calistang05
2nd Gear Member

I got a automatic with the cats still on and short headers with SLP loudmouths on and it's loud, and loud to my friends that hear it too , always get complements on how it sounds. I had flows put on when I first got the mustang and it was mildly loud ran them on for about a year in a half then i needed something louder. So if you want loud on a automatic go with a muffler delete setup it makes a big difference.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:06 PM
jhawkr
2nd Gear Member

The sound difference isn't caused by the transmission per se but by the loading or unloading of the clutch. There is a noticeable drop in RPM when the clutch engages when not speed shifting and there is the "lag" factor. A properly tuned automatic will likely out perform a manual in a drag race. On a road course, a manual is preferred because you need to be able to "feather" the clutch and choose gears positively to be able to drive the rear wheels through a turn. You'll spin out often with an auto because it's more difficult to get the right gear and the right amount of power going.

On the street, for me, an automatic is the only choice. Put on whatever exhaust that trips your trigger. Your auto won't sound like a manual but it doesn't with stock exhaust either. The only people that care are the ones hung up on a manual-only issue.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:59 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

It's not a hang up to prefer the exhaust sound of a well-driven MT car as it is shifted up and down through the gears.

Norm
Old 02-13-2014, 03:16 PM
silverskoundrel
1st Gear Member

My automatic doesn't sound good

Old 02-13-2014, 04:24 PM
sandcracker21
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sbradle4
I have the flowmaster 40 series classics and love the sound on my 2010 GT. But, it's all about how YOU want YOUR mustang to sound.
I had them on my 4.6L 2003 and I loved the sound. To each their own though.

Oh, and I never had any problems with them, looked and worked great 8 years later when I sold it.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:44 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I have a wall of trophies to show all the automatic haters out there. I love lining up with them against a pro tree and running the number. F them Razr, dont let them tell you anything about whats right or wrong for or about your car. Its your car, so do as you please bro.

I am a flow thru type muffler guy, check out Borla S types on youtube. And always listen with headphones.

Quick Reply: Exhaust on automatic GT = a waste?