Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OE Battery; Surprised the heck out of me...

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 01:58 AM
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
$119 plus tax. I figured I'd have paid about $60-$80 at Autozone or elsewhere but I've heard a number of folks state that the fit of their aftermarket batteries was problematic
Originally Posted by Carcrazycorey1
Thats not a bad price at all. I work at advance auto, and the battery for my 05 GT was around $110 with my employee discount, so I don't think you did bad at all. The days of $60-80 batteries are long gone. The cheapest you would even find at walmart for these cars are going to be about 100

You can say that again! ....

They really jumped up everywhere back in 2012.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:04 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

i trickle charge my original battery once a week
Old 02-16-2014, 05:26 AM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

I trickle charge when I tune my pony.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:44 AM
Vader GT
4th Gear Member

OEM Battery here & my car is an 08. Still going strong........Just like you I would have expected it to die by now, specially living in FL with the heat.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:10 AM
VistaBlueGT/CS
1st Gear Member

$119 sounds reasonable to me.

For reference, one fall day I decided to replace the OE battery in my wife's '03 Navigator. It was about 6-years old. It had never let us down so I decided to go back with Motorcraft. (I'm willing to spend extra to keep her from getting stranded and save me a phone call and trip across town at an in opportune time, especially since I travel for work from time to time.)

Anyway, the dealer said that even if they didn't have one in stock when I stopped by to pick one up, they could get one quickly from the parts store/distributor around the corner...so I just went there myself. Saved $20. I remember a price of about $110 or $120, although I don't recall if that was the dealers's price or the distributor's. You may be able to find the dealer's supplier for a bit of a savings, but it isn't like you're gonna buy it for half price or anything.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:12 AM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

Still have the original batteries in all my Mustangs, keep thinking at anytime they will all go!
LOL
Old 02-16-2014, 09:14 AM
VistaBlueGT/CS
1st Gear Member

don't have any long-term experience yet, but I've been using BatteryMinder trickle chargers on my batteries. If I know our DD's will sit over a weekend or so, even, I'll trickle charge them because these chargers desulfate the cells. So far, I'm a believer - but I've only been using them for a couple years now.

If you're interested in one, I'd recommend buying from Northern Tool for the best price - you can usually find them for $40 "on sale." I've turned several guys at work onto them, and one has claimed that he can actually see that the cells have been desulfated over time
Old 02-16-2014, 09:26 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

my 05 had original battery aswell
Old 02-16-2014, 09:44 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I have 5 Battery Tender Jr's in operation as we speak.... errr..... type; one on the boat's starting battery, 2 on the boats 2 deep cycle batteries, one on the tractor battery and one on the Stang. At the moment, all of these suffer from lack of use especially since I'm working out-of-state and fly home twice a month. The Battery Tender JR can be had for about $25 on ebay and elsewhere. I've started using them for about 6 years ago and am very happy. They come with both alligator clips and with lugs that can be permanently attached to the battery so all you do is open the hood and plug in.

Lead-acid batteries are persnickety things at best. Their service life is affected by numerous things BESIDES design, construction and quality control. IF you're lucky AND IF you pay attention to your battery, you'll likely be able to ward off one of those "awwww chit"s when you turn the key and you get "click click click" or nothing.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:36 AM
Carcrazycorey1
2nd Gear Member

Also, just an FYI most of the batteries that people buy are manufactured by one company, Johnson Controls for the most part. So it doesn't really matter where you bought your battery, internally just about ever lead acid battery you come across at any auto parts store or even the dealer is going to be the same. The only differences is the casing and the labeling on most batteries.

Quick Reply: OE Battery; Surprised the heck out of me...