Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OE Battery; Surprised the heck out of me...

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 01:44 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Carcrazycorey1
...just an FYI most of the batteries that people buy are manufactured by one company, Johnson Controls for the most part...
True.

Originally Posted by Carcrazycorey1
... internally just about ever lead acid battery you come across at any auto parts store or even the dealer is going to be the same. The only differences is the casing and the labeling on most batteries.
Not totally true. Johnson Controls and the few other manufacturers will build batteries to different specs, depending on the buyer. It would be nice if every battery coming of the assembly line was designed and built to the specs that provide the best all-around performance but, being what business in the US is about, everyone thinks they have the better mouse trap. Add into that the variance in quality control and materials and you have production runs that are superb and production runs that suffer premature failures, all from the same make/model.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:04 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Not bashing Motorcraft (batteries at least, just their spark plugs), but I'll stay with Interstate.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:08 AM
jhawkr
2nd Gear Member

I've had great experience with Motorcraft batteries. I replaced one in my 2000 F-150 after 8 years just because it was old and I was going on a long trip pulling a trailer. Didn't want to risk it. If I remember right, there are only 2 major battery manufacturers in the USA. A battery that has lasted 5 years has done a good job for you.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:38 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

For whatever reason, some of you guys are optima haters. Im not. I've replaced 2 stangs with optimas and havent had any problems since. If I didn't do optima, then I'd do motorcraft just because of the fitment issues.

Nuke you dont need to see a shrink for your battery choices. There are plenty of other reasons why you do...but batteries aren't one.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:55 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wcgman
...Nuke you dont need to see a shrink for your battery choices. There are plenty of other reasons why you do...but batteries aren't one.

I'm man enough to agree.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:55 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Well I knew it was bound to happen sooner later. Yesterday went out to start my stang and get the "click, click, click!" I tried jumping it with my battery booster with no luck. I bought the Gold Battery 96r from Advanced Auto. It's cheaper to purchase online then pick it up at the store. Next I want to get a battery tender so it will help make it last longer. I had the guy at the auto store check the voltage on the old battery and it was at 11.5. Bought the car new Dec. '06 so I guess 8 years is ok.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:37 PM
TheDivaDanielle
3rd Gear Member

my car is only 20 months old, and just two weeks ago I had to replace my OEM battery with a Optima Red Top. These things just don't last.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:34 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

A while back some guy was trying to trace where the drain on these batteries are coming from. Many think it's from the radio.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:04 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

I just replaced my 2007 GTs batter a couple of months ago for the first time.
As long as you have another vehicle as a backup and arent too dependent on your mustang, id wait until its bad. Mine finally died so I jumped it off and drove to the autoparts store and got a new one. 7 years seems pretty good to me, especially considering Ive had a ~1000W amp and sub for several years.

About a year ago my alternator died and I charged the battery and drove ~15 miles off of the battery alone.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:20 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

AZ summers eat batteries for lunch. Average lifetime is two years. Not kidding. Haven't tried the red or yellow tops but not willing to pay that much extra for something that may/may not last.

Autozone duralast gold with 3 yr free replacement. Only had to buy the first battery. The last replacement was free.

OEM lasted 19 months. The OEM replacement lasted 21 months. Bought the Autozone one after the dealer told me I'd have to tow my car to them (wouldn't jump) to verify it was the battery before they would replace the OEM replacement under warranty.

Wife's and daughter's vehicles. About the same 23-27 months average. Almost all of them go out in September after the summer starts to cool down.

Starts with sluggish turn over for a few days then, click...click...rrrrrrr...click. Done.

Last edited by Derf00; 04-25-2014 at 02:24 PM.

Quick Reply: OE Battery; Surprised the heck out of me...