Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question's for the S197 owners

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 07:46 PM
iMuf
1st Gear Member

Default Question's for the S197 owners

Hey everyone, so I have been looking at getting a Mustang for a while now. I originally wanted to just get a 95-2004 Mustang. Mainly because I like the body style of those generations more then most of the other generations. And I want to get into something a little cheaper since right now I pay almost $300 a Month for my current car.

Well after talking with my bank as well as other banks, I may need to go with a newer car in order to get a longer term to help bring my payments down. So I have been looking at some S197's. I found a 2006 Mustang GT 5 speed with 70k miles and the dealer is asking $11,900 for it. It's still at there service station since it's a new car, so they are going over everything to make sure everything works and that it will pass inspection and all that good stuff. So they don't have any pictures yet, so I have yet to see it.

I just wanted to know if everyone thought this was a good price. Also is there anything specific to these cars I should make sure and look at and check out when I go over the car and test drive it when they do get it? I know you should always do the normal check all fluids, make sure there is no rust, make sure tires are good, and all that good stuff. But is there anything specific to these cars? I like to know my stuff going in so I have the upper hand on everything.

Also is there anything you guys don't like about the S197? Anything else I should know? thanks for the help
Old 02-16-2014, 08:20 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Is this for a GT deluxe or premium? Automatic or manual? According to KBB.com, $11.9k is actually below the "fair" market value for even the deluxe, let alone a premium. Either way, I'd question why they're pricing it so low.

The only thing that really bothered me about my 05-09 S197 was the fuel tank TSB. During fill-up, my tank would cause the pump to shut off at about the 50% point, then continue to shut-off the rest of the way. I took the car in the moment I heard of the TSB, but apparently they didn't fix it. It would happen about half the time and only at certain stations, so I'd just frequent stations with pumps I didn't have that problem with. Hopefully the dealer would've already solved that problem with that '06 GT.

Last edited by SPARTAN VI; 02-17-2014 at 01:24 AM.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:28 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Originally Posted by SPARTAN VI
Is this for a GT deluxe or premium? Automatic or manual? According to KBB.com, $11.9k is actually below the "fair" market value for even the deluxe, let alone a premium. Either way, I'd question why they're pricing it so low.

The only thing that really bothered me about my 05-09 S197 was the fuel tank TSB. During fill-up, my tank would case the pump to shut off at about the 50% point, then continue to shut-off the rest of the way. I took the car in the moment I heard of the TSB, but apparently they didn't fix it. It would happen about half the time and only at certain stations, so I'd just frequent stations with pumps I didn't have that problem with. Hopefully the dealer would've already solved that problem with that '06 GT.
Did angling the nozzle help any?
Old 02-16-2014, 08:38 PM
iMuf
1st Gear Member

The only thing that really bothered me about my 05-09 S197 was the fuel tank TSB. During fill-up, my tank would case the pump to shut off at about the 50% point, then continue to shut-off the rest of the way. I took the car in the moment I heard of the TSB, but apparently they didn't fix it. It would happen about half the time and only at certain stations, so I'd just frequent stations with pumps I didn't have that problem with. Hopefully the dealer would've already solved that problem with that '06 GT.
It's a manual, and I'm not sure if it's a deluxe or premium. It doesn't specifically say anywhere. And I haven't had a chance to see it yet since they don't have it at the dealership yet. Here is a link to the car, there aren't any pictures yet but maybe you can tell if it is a deluxe or premium based off of the options and everything. I'm still new to Mustangs as a whole so I'm not sure what the big differences are.

http://www.hannaimports.com/detail.a...20140127160949
Old 02-16-2014, 08:51 PM
Csrt4to5.0gt
2nd Gear Member

I'm gonna assume its a deluxe since there's no mention of leather, power seat(s) or shaker stereo. It's also a 5spd, not a 6spd.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:03 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99GTvert
Did angling the nozzle help any?
Yes, but some of the newer vapor recovery fuel pump nozzles weren't always forgiving.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:29 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Yes, but some of the newer vapor recovery fuel pump nozzles weren't always forgiving.
That sucks. If that happens again though you could try standing back a couple steps and aiming the nozzle, predict the trajectory, hold the nozzle between your legs and squirt it into the fuel tank tube.

That's not a bad price for those miles...damn. I'm guessing its also the deluxe which helps considering the price, and I also hate it when the dealer flubs something like the transmission (unless they swapped a 6 speed in, but not likely).
Old 02-16-2014, 09:41 PM
iMuf
1st Gear Member

Yea, I noticed it said 6 speed but didn't think anything of it. Typos suck lol, it would be nice if it had a 6 speed swapped in. I appreciate the help guys. Is the TSB the only big issue with these cars?
Old 02-16-2014, 10:05 PM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

this is true and a huge problem with the early ones.
both 05 and 07 took me about 15 minutes to fill up..embarasing ..
my 10 is normal
Old 02-17-2014, 12:50 AM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Check to see that the gauges appear to work normally. The stepper motors that operate the gauges have been known to fail.

Search the forum for water leak and SJB. These models are prone to water leaks that allow water to corrode the connections in the SJB and foul up the electrical and electronic circuitry.

Quick Reply: Question's for the S197 owners