Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about a "chip" I bought

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 09:23 PM
danielson08stang

Well that's why i'm posting here to learn things not to get trash talked and put down like an idiot. Like I mentioned in my first post i'm new to the self-upgrading and I thought this would be a good place to learn but it seems like it's just full of a@#holes. On another note no I didn't pay a lot for the "chip" about a dollar, 10 for the tornado which I already got rid of when it wouldn't work with the CAI I got. The CAI was 65 bucks and reading up on it the only thing that people didn't like was the filter which I can easily replace with a much better one. I doubt I will be using this site anymore because of the people on here.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:32 PM
Murgatroy
2nd Gear Member

Brother everyone has to start somewhere. However, if you are a budget the best bet is to learn before you throw money at a problem that you don't understand.

If you want to pack it up and say adios, groovy, with 200k members, I am sure the site will be fine.

However, if you want answers, you will get them here. To be frank, anyone that applauds you for buying a resistor as an upgrade knows less than you. At least you knew enough to question it.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:37 PM
danielson08stang

Exactly that's why I never installed it and asked first. Common sense told me leaving a sensor unplugged was not going to help. I got my money back out of the tornado thing so that wasn't a loss and their's nothing wrong with the CAI I bought it just needs to be tuned with it on. So I wasted a buck on the "chip" big whoop
Old 02-17-2014, 09:49 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Dan,
I hope you don't get mad and go away. I hope you stay a while and by reading these posts you will learn a lot of valuable information. There are a lot of pretty savvy guys on here that are willing to share what they've learned. But, stay or go, it's up to you. When I was young, I "invested" in a set of super, duper spark plugs sold by J.C. Whitney under the impressive name of "Fire Injector" spark plugs. They were going to give bunches of extra HP, vastly increase my fuel mileage, and make my car last for ever. Well, I foolishly bought them, installed them in my first nice car and about a couple of weeks later the car started missing and running like crap. Lesson learned. Pulled the Fire Injectors out, threw them into the woods and installed a new set of regular spark plugs. Problem solved. There are more such dumb things I tried, but I won't bore you with them, or embarrass myself by relating them. We live and learn.

Last edited by Goldenpony; 02-17-2014 at 09:58 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:59 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Best advise I can give you.

1.) Do not leave the site, there are really awesome smart people on here that have tons of knowledge, however do know that a small majority of them will rip on you if you make what they deem a "dumb dumb" mistake

2.) STAY AWAY FROM EBAY

3.) Read the tech stickies, pretty much all you could ever want to know about your car has probably already been posted and is in there.

4.) Once you do the above, then come back and ask more specific tech questions about products, parts, etc, that will actually effect car performance.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:24 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jthorn9

1.) Do not leave the site, there are really awesome smart people on here that have tons of knowledge, however do know that a small majority of them will rip on you if you make what they deem a "dumb dumb" mistake

2.) STAY AWAY FROM EBAY

3.) Read the tech stickies, pretty much all you could ever want to know about your car has probably already been posted and is in there.

4.) Once you do the above, then come back and ask more specific tech questions about products, parts, etc, that will actually effect car performance.
Pretty much this.

If you see a deal that's too good to be true, it probably is. Otherwise ask yourself, "if this incredibly cheap gadget can considerably increase my MPG/horsepower/torque/etc., then why wouldn't Ford, in its infinite wisdom, include this on my vehicle stock?" The answer is probably because it doesn't work.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:24 AM
Lem-06
4th Gear Member

your saying this site is full of a**holes just talking s*** to you....

you must not get out much cause in terms of how strict people get this is hello kitty island adventure . com, get that chip off your shoulder, and google **** before you buy anything from now on, cause 2 of the 3 things youve bought are useless and the 3rd may work with a proper tune
Old 02-18-2014, 06:03 AM
MADSCOTSMAN
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jthorn9

2.) STAY AWAY FROM EBAY

To each their own, but I would whole-heartedly disagree with this statement. I have found some rediculous deals on ebay, the last one being my AIRAID CAI, brand new, in the box, for $183.00. At the time, AIRAID was offering a $30 rebate, so in the end I paid $153.00 for it. There are some good deals to be had on ebay if you are looking for "name-brand" items and have the ability to weed out fakes and counterfits.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:44 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Ask before buying. If you're running a no-tune CAI, you're running a $65 paperweight.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:03 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Tell us what your budget looks like. From a performance standpoint, the 1st best mod is typically a CAI & custom tune. This will yield about 15-20 RWHP on your V6 (real life) for about $600. But if you're pockets are deep, then you need to supercharge for serious power.

Quick Reply: Questions about a "chip" I bought