Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Axle bearing 2014 GT 5.0???

Old 02-19-2014, 06:29 PM
Xann27
1st Gear Member

Default Bad Axle bearing 2014 GT 5.0???

So today, I noticed a "hissing" noise like the sound a gas pipe in a building makes when gas is traveling thru it, coming from the back of my car while driving. At first i thought it may be a rock or debris in the rotor/caliper, but after some hard braking and accelerations, it wasnt changing. only getting louder. So I ran it to the ford dealer in Phoenix Az (Horne Ford, in East Mesa) and they took me right away and had a tech ride with me to replicate the sound. sure enough, it would make the sound. it get up to about 40, and push in the clutch pedal, and the normal road noise would be drown out by the hissing. The tech explained that in order to figure out what is causing it, they'd need to get the car in the air,and so they did. the sound was there but not as loud with the back wheels freely spinning off the ground. they did a few quick inspections, and said that its definitely coming from the axle assembly, and sounds like a "pitted bearing" or a bad bearing. the car only has 14k miles on it. and Im fairly upset that it is having ANY issues this early. Anyone else having/had issues like this?

Jack
Old 02-19-2014, 07:48 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

pitted wheel/axle bearings don't hiss. they moan. if you hear a "hissing" noise as you describe, I'd suspect a vacuum leak somewhere underhood or maybe a bad brake booster. Mazda just announced a recall of the CX-9 because of what is obviously a defective brake booster.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:34 PM
Xann27
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz78817
pitted wheel/axle bearings don't hiss. they moan. if you hear a "hissing" noise as you describe, I'd suspect a vacuum leak somewhere underhood or maybe a bad brake booster. Mazda just announced a recall of the CX-9 because of what is obviously a defective brake booster.
we all describe sounds different. its not a moan, but more of a low toned hiss like from a gas pipe in a building. it increases frequency the faster the car travels. and its not a vacuum line at all. At the ford service center, 2 guys were under the car and determined that it is coming from the axle assembly. its coming from the back of the car, nowhere near the hood/front. its very obvious the sound is coming from the rear and possibly the differential case.

you know the sound a propane tank makes when opened into a BBQ grille? its VERY similar to that.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:36 PM
AricTrueTexan
1st Gear Member

Really hope you resolve your issue, and hopefully Ford fixes any repairs that need done to the car.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:54 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

It's under warranty, let them fix it.

Rear ends don't usually hiss when there's bearing problems.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:47 PM
AricTrueTexan
1st Gear Member

Yea under warranty hopefully Ford will do it sometimes you have to hassle with them.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:36 PM
Xann27
1st Gear Member

now that Ford has had a chance to pull **** apart, its a BAD AXLE SEAL. now. here's the fun part...after taking the differential case apart to do this work, they found the clutch bearings were making odd noises as well, and they also found they were seated poorly from the factory..... good thing i took it in, as if those bearings went totally bad, and the axle seal crapped out, i could have had severe issues within the next 5k miles... no bueno. Ford will be warrantying all work due to this. sucks to happen, would suck worse to have to pay out of pocket. lets hope it doesnt happen again ever.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:40 PM
AricTrueTexan
1st Gear Member

Awe man I'm sorry to hear that I'm glad that you're finally resolving the issue good luck!
Old 02-20-2014, 08:52 PM
Lethaldosage423
4th Gear Member

what rear end do you have?
I have the 3:73s and in 6th gear, light throttle i get a humming noise, its done it from day 1 but ive always been slightly concerned about it
Old 02-21-2014, 01:05 AM
AricTrueTexan
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lethaldosage423
what rear end do you have?
I have the 3:73s and in 6th gear, light throttle i get a humming noise, its done it from day 1 but ive always been slightly concerned about it
I have a '13 track edition as well no humming in 6th did you get a tune with yours?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bad Axle bearing 2014 GT 5.0???