Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tail light problem with my 2012 GT

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 10:29 AM
Oswalito

Default Tail light problem with my 2012 GT

I hope I'm posting in the right place!

Last night, I noticed that my tail lights don't work while driving... So the running lights don't work but the brake lights do. Everything works except for the running lights.

I don't know what to do to figure out what the problem is and I wouldn't be able to take it to a dealer before Monday to get it checked out.

What do I need to look at? The fuse? I'm assuming the bulb is fine since everything else works...

Help would be appreciated

Oh and, greetings from Canada :P
Old 02-21-2014, 10:38 AM
harddock

You have front marker, and license light? Do you have daytime running lights and not operating the light switch?
Old 02-21-2014, 11:09 AM
Oswalito

It might be because of my lights being automatic but I just went to make sure and when I turn the ignition key to on, the only lights that actually light up are the headlights and the fog lights. All 4 side markers on the car are off and the tail lights are also off.

turn signals, reverse, hazards everything there works except for the running lights.

I'm not sure what you mean by daytime running lights and not operating the light switch but I have my switch set to A. Daytime or night time, my tail lights are off. As far as the markers being off at night, I would have to wait until tonight to find out but im pretty sure they are going to be off too...
Old 02-21-2014, 01:15 PM
Oswalito

Ah nevermind. I may have figured it out. Most likely to be a blown fuse... I'll have to take a look to see if the fuse is indeed blown.

I hope I don't need to take it to the dealer to have them change a damn fuse though... I should be able to do that myself.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:24 PM
potman
3rd Gear Member

The fuse is easily accessed under the hood.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:02 AM
harddock

That is why I asked if the fronts and plate light worked. At first, it sounded like only the rear. For your next trick, you may need to know why the fuse blows.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:18 AM
Oswalito

Originally Posted by harddock
That is why I asked if the fronts and plate light worked. At first, it sounded like only the rear. For your next trick, you may need to know why the fuse blows.
Yeah, I'll open it up to confirm it's the fuse and if it is, I'll replace it. As far as far as figuring out why it blew... I'll call the dealer on Monday.

Hopefully the warranty covers all of it. We'll see if the 500+ parts coverage on this warranty comes in handy now.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:02 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Oswalito
It might be because of my lights being automatic but I just went to make sure and when I turn the ignition key to on, the only lights that actually light up are the headlights and the fog lights. All 4 side markers on the car are off and the tail lights are also off.

turn signals, reverse, hazards everything there works except for the running lights.
you're in Canada, which requires daytime running lights. meaning, the headlamps are on at all times but reduced brightness during the day.

I'm not sure what you mean by daytime running lights and not operating the light switch but I have my switch set to A. Daytime or night time, my tail lights are off. As far as the markers being off at night, I would have to wait until tonight to find out but im pretty sure they are going to be off too...
he's asking you what happens if you turn the headlight selector from automatic to "on." if your markers and tails turn on then, I'd bet something is wrong with the light sensor on top of the IP. You've been keeping the switch to "A" and the sensor's never telling the BCM that it's dark.

I really doubt it's a fuse; the tail lamps are LED and don't have separate circuits for bright and dim operation. They're fed with a PWM signal and the duty cycle of the PWM pulses is increased when they need to be brighter (e.g. when you hit the brakes.) If a fuse was blown, they wouldn't come on for the turn signal or brakes either.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:32 PM
Oswalito

So I confirmed it is a blow fuse. Like the dumbass I am, I had the wrong fuse type on hand and when I pulled the fuse from the car I was confronted with mini fuses instead of regular ones. I'll go buy the correct replacement tomorrow and the problem should be fixed
Old 02-23-2014, 09:39 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

which fuse was it, if you don't mind me asking?

Quick Reply: Tail light problem with my 2012 GT