Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash Cam Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 05:47 PM
MustangVixenGT
2nd Gear Member

GoPro's rock and come with great mounting hardware.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:57 PM
07 Cervini
2nd Gear Member

I dont think law enforcement is too worried about your camera; most agencies will not bother writing a search warrant for a violation of a traffic law. Dash cams are good for traffic accidents and road rage incidents. If you are involved in a crash and both parties involved have a plausible account of what occurred, the insurance companies will put both clients at fault. Having a dash cam really helps you in those types of incidents.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:26 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SPARTAN VI
I haven't decided yet adrian. I'd prefer one that doesn't need to be plugged in the entire time; loose cables are unsightly. So a battery that can hold a charge is a must. I'm afraid that a requirement like that will bump me into the over $100 area though. Gonna have to start my search with must-have features first, then consider the budget second.
honestly I think a GoPro might be your best option. it's more expensive but has somewhat decent battery capacity and decent video quality. here's one vid I took on one of my R/C boats:

https://vimeo.com/76295276

If you are involved in a crash and both parties involved have a plausible account of what occurred, the insurance companies will put both clients at fault. Having a dash cam really helps you in those types of incidents.
thus why dashcams are so popular in Russia. scams and insurance fraud run rampant there.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:04 AM
BlackShelbyGt500
2nd Gear Member

here i have the exact same one use 32gb of memory good for 8 hours and the battery can be charge, it has night vision and sensor so it only record when it detects movement. its also 720p.

p.s dont buy anything that's less than $50 for a dash cam

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DVR-207GS-HD-720p-IR-Car-dash-Camera-G-sensor-seamless-loop-recording-Zoran-Chip-/130455460442?pt=US_Surveillance_Digital_Video_Recorders_Cards&hash=item1e5fc05a5a

Last edited by BlackShelbyGt500; 05-09-2014 at 01:27 AM.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:27 PM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

try ebay
Old 05-10-2014, 02:50 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Originally Posted by AzPete
I have had good luck with the Genius DVR-FHD590 Full HD Vehicle Video Recorder with 128-Degree Wide Angle and G-Sensor and SanDisk Ultra 32 GB MicroSDHC C10/UHS1 Memory Card with Adapter (SDSDQU-032G-AFFP-A). Total on Amazon was $132.38 and I used free shipping. A friend had one and was real pleased....his info came from another who had it. Most do not include the disc so the price goes up unless you have the disc already.
Did you post your set up on TMS? Someone other there has a great set up with both front facing, and rear facing cameras that has great video quality. I would love to find something that I can hardwire to have constant power (when the car is on), and will record over old video after say 8-10 hours so I dont have to worry about deleting every three days.

Matthew
Old 05-10-2014, 04:41 PM
Midasboot

Google > DashCamTalk

I bought the Lukas LK-7900 ACE. I had a GoPro and tried to use it as a dash cam, but the card would fill up (doesn't record over old files) and it had no shock sensor so it did me no good in a parking lot. This isn't sub $100 but, it is truly install and forget. Read up on it.

I have to park in public places (hotels/convetion centers/theme parks) constantly and I'm paranoid someone will hit my car and drive off. With this unit I have motion and shock triggers while parked. I only have a front cam so I have to think about how I park but it gives me a little peace of mind.

Night recording is good. it can see pretty much what the driver can see as far as reading plates and street signs.

Day recording is excellent.

The internal GPS is awesome. I use the rear display all the time when setting the cruise for long hauls.

Basic three axis customize-able triggers so you dont trigger an "event" recording when you take a turn too fast. (took some playing with to get it right)

I had no issues with quality/fit/finish/function.

If you're on a sub $100 budget check out DaskCamTalk otherwise invest a little more and get a solid unit.

Don't skimp on the important stuff (you wouldn't buy cheap tires, brakes, or bullets would you?)
Old 05-15-2014, 01:30 PM
slickman
5th Gear Member

Astak Action-Pro (CM-7000) all the way! I had a GoPro (Sold it) and the Action Pro is MUCH better at much less $$$

Amazon.com : ASTAK ActionPro 1080p HD Video Camera with Waterproof Case CM-7000 : Sports And Action Video Cameras : Electronics Amazon.com : ASTAK ActionPro 1080p HD Video Camera with Waterproof Case CM-7000 : Sports And Action Video Cameras : Electronics

These were taken with the action pro

Last edited by slickman; 05-15-2014 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:43 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Midasboot
Google > DashCamTalk

I bought the Lukas LK-7900 ACE. I had a GoPro and tried to use it as a dash cam, but the card would fill up (doesn't record over old files) and it had no shock sensor so it did me no good in a parking lot. This isn't sub $100 but, it is truly install and forget. Read up on it.

I have to park in public places (hotels/convetion centers/theme parks) constantly and I'm paranoid someone will hit my car and drive off. With this unit I have motion and shock triggers while parked. I only have a front cam so I have to think about how I park but it gives me a little peace of mind.

Night recording is good. it can see pretty much what the driver can see as far as reading plates and street signs.

The internal GPS is awesome. I use the rear display all the time when setting the cruise for long hauls.

Basic three axis customize-able triggers so you dont trigger an "event" recording when you take a turn too fast. (took some playing with to get it right)

If you're on a sub $100 budget check out DaskCamTalk otherwise invest a little more and get a solid unit.

Don't skimp on the important stuff (you wouldn't buy cheap tires, brakes, or bullets would you?)
Did you hard wire your cam to your car? If not, what's the battery life like?
Old 05-16-2014, 11:15 AM
adrianp
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Midasboot
Google > DashCamTalk

I just checked out their website. Feature wise it looks really good. Definately at the top of my list now. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Dash Cam Recommendations