Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash Cam Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 03:33 PM
Midasboot

SPARTAN VI,

I haven't hard wired it yet. In the summer I'm taking the headliner out for another project so I'll do it then.

My camera doesn't have an internal battery, and that does bring up a point I forgot to mention.

The first day I had my cam installed I parked around 5pm. I came out to dead battery the next morning at 7am. My battery had a dead cell, and my motion detection feature was set was too sensitive. I looked at the recordings and basically the squirrels and wind killed what was left of my battery. I've got an Optima yellow top now so I could leave my headlights on all night and it wouldn't kill it.

The way I've found works best for me is:

Turn the cam on when I get in. By the time I'm backed out of the garage it's powered up and recording. Once it has a GPS signal it will display your speed on the rear of the camera. I leave the power on while I'm parked at my destination. The cam goes into park mode and stops continuous recording. Now it has to be triggered to record to the SD card. When I leave to head home it automatically switches back to driving mode and records the whole trip. Once i'm back in my garage I power it off and occasionally take the card in to look at something.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:08 AM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the informative post Midas, I'm strongly considering that one.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:45 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

A new challenger has approaches:
Amazon.com : Drift HD Full 1080p High Definition Helmet Action Camera Kit : Camcorders : Camera & Photo Amazon.com : Drift HD Full 1080p High Definition Helmet Action Camera Kit : Camcorders : Camera & Photo

I'm looking at the GoPro's and Drift cameras based upon their battery life and immediate playback. I'm leaning toward the Drift HD for the price point and the fact that my coworker let me play with his Drift HD. It's also sleek and one of the stealthier options I've looked at so far.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:02 PM
IndecisiveS197
2nd Gear Member

I'd like to put up a contender as well. I've been looking at lots of cameras including reading dashcamtalk and I think I'm pretty much settled on this unit.

Panorama II
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191067655576...84.m1423.l2649

comes with the constant power cable too in this listing and if you wanted gps you can add it on as a separate module(I didn't want gps)

also Free EMS shipping? that's awesome (I collect transformers and retailers in japan never give free EMS shipping)