Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

18 or 20" wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 03:25 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cruzinaround
I volunteered my perspective. Suspecting the type of tire... as a run flat design. But, its clear you're just dying to elaborate even more than you have. So...

have at it.
Nothing of the sort. That's just an honest offer for you to demonstrate deeper tire knowledge than you've shown to date, nothing more. Should you accept the challenge, you might be right, you could be wrong, or perhaps just close. You have everything to gain, so why not give it a shot? Heck, you already know one thing it wasn't, so you've got a head start of sorts.

I must admit to being curious what branch of engineering you work within, and to whether you'd ever consider registering for a track day at NJMP.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 03-03-2014 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:17 PM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Nothing of the sort. That's just an honest offer for you to demonstrate deeper tire knowledge than you've shown to date, nothing more. Should you accept the challenge, you might be right, you could be wrong, or perhaps just close. You have everything to gain, so why not give it a shot? Heck, you already know one thing it wasn't, so you've got a head start of sorts.
This is not my story to tell. I only contribute that a run flat design is another category by itself.

I must admit to being curious what branch of engineering you work within, and to whether you'd ever consider registering for a track day at NJMP.
TECHNOLOGY/Innovations Advanced R&D. 22 years.

Architectural design, Architectural Illustration, Civil Engineering, Photography, MCSE, CCNA, CNE, Pioneer in the area of PCI compliance and specializing in Criminal Psychology.

Currently hold a patent in the area of genetics for diversity planning and improved canine immune systems.

Born and raised in a 4 generation body/fender shop.

and

yes I would consider registering Norm. You'll have to. Take that discussion offline as I need to see where it will fit within my schedule. There is a LOT going on from my end.

Last edited by Cruzinaround; 03-03-2014 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:12 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Thanks for the career overview. I had a feeling it was along the lines of computers/computer science, but not quite to that extent. Didn't make any civil/architectural connection at all, nor for the criminal psychology item. That last item I'd never in two lifetimes have ever guessed even if I thought about nothing else.

Fair's fair, so . . .
BSCE Civil/structural here. Navy surface ships and submarines, and commercial power plants (mostly nuclear) here. I still have to be careful what I talk about from that first job, and 30 years or so in the second has probably conditioned me to expect (and demand) precision in technical articles and reports, because that was what was expected of me. Yeah, I wore out more than a few red pencils in my career as a reviewer and/or independent reviewer of the work produced by other engineers.

The vehicle and vehicle dynamics stuff has been a combination of avocational study, DIY car repair and minor & major mechanical modification, and just plain paying attention to the cars' behavior at least some of the time.

The offer to take a further stab at my tire incident still stands, by PM if you'd prefer. But I'll understand if you choose not to.

Norm
Old 03-03-2014, 06:26 PM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Let me review my own experiences with catastrophic failures to think about it and I'll give my perspective on your tire.

And I also have many Non Disclosure Agreements in play as well. Across many disciplines.

---
Old 03-04-2014, 09:23 AM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Agreed that it makes a specific rake easier to obtain, although 285/40-19 would have given essentially the same result (in which case I think 19x10 or 19x10.5 wheels would be better rear wheel choices).

The rear suspension stiffness is unaffected by wheel size, although the combined effect of suspension and tire vertical stiffnesses is. Is that what you meant? Any idea what the magnitude of vertical tire stiffness might be?
Do you mean accounting for the reaction the tire has that is similar to a spring and damper? There are several variables to measure to account for that. ie; vertical loads, Deflection, Vibrations. Again probably too deep to get into here. However, In general the rolling stiffness is less than the standing still stiffness. But overall the pneumatic properties of the tire do in fact act as an additional spring and damper in combination with the rest of the Suspension. So with that it may have been more a decision from the Engineering side of this for a "form following function" effect from that tire size. Allowing for a shorter stiffer sidewall to in fact enhance the overall rolling stiffness required to take on courses like the Nürburgring. And to keep the pneumatic properties from rapidly heating up and expanding which can lead up to a blowout at sustained high speeds. Which can also be augmented if they changed the type of gas used to fill the tires to nitrogen.

Keeping in mind the targeted window for this particular Mustang was to exceed the 200MPH barrier.

If 19" wheels are big enough for 15" front rotors, they're big enough for 15" rear rotors should anybody produce rear rotors in that size for this car.

The upcoming Z/28 fits 390mm rotors inside 19" wheels and runs 305-wide tires (which are 20mm or so wider than the GT500's OE 285/35's). All I see here is Ford's appearance crew having a bigger voice than engineering and got the final say their way. As a function over form engineer that does bother me.
Well, if there was in fact a purpose for the shorter sidewalls related to tire stiffness (I believe there was considering the criteria this car had to meet) then maintaining the proper rake angle still comes into play. And in order to meet that aerodynamic criteria and maintain the spring and damper effect offered by that tire you go with a larger diameter wheel. Which will also effects the end ratio of the gearing(making it Taller) and thus helps to achieve the higher speeds. The added benefit is you can upgrade to larger rotors and calipers and add wheels with a turbine effect to further help the aerodynamics and with cooling the brakes.

I don't have any problems taking your word for it on the complimentary track day although I couldn't find anything on it while trying to 'build' a GT Premium a few minutes ago.
I can confirm the offer is free with a GT 500 or a Boss 302. It might be an invitation to anyone with a track pack option and they have to pay a fee for the track day.... You would know this as soon as you receive the invite in the mail.

My buddy did for his Boss 302.

that's my 2 cents anyway.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:04 AM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

What happened to the OP?
Old 03-04-2014, 10:19 AM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Seriously tried to steer it back to the OP...But, it likely went so far over the top...we lost him?

Maybe?

---
Old 03-04-2014, 06:27 PM
luvmygt
2nd Gear Member

I wouldn't blame him for leaving. The thread became an engineering debate that was much more in depth than he was looking for.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:02 PM
70monte
1st Gear Member

I personally hate the look of low profile tires and don't care for the look of 20" rims at all so I vote 18" but it's your vehicle and you have to get what looks the best to you.

Wayne
Old 03-04-2014, 08:20 PM
Nonsequitur

Here is a little bit of a comparison shot:
Stock 18" wheels with 235/50/18 tires:

Here it is with 19" wheels with 255/40 front and 285/35 rear:

Quick Reply: 18 or 20" wheels?