Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

few questions on octane and additives

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 03:42 PM
bryan67
2nd Gear Member

Default hmmm you think so?

Originally Posted by jz78817
ah, the good old conspiracy theory.

you really are clueless then if you dont think suppliers and manufactuers dont work together on decisions.

11.0:1 is really pretty high for a port-injected engine.

it is??? hmmmm my 1967 Pontiac came 10.75 to 1. so new cars at 11 to 1 are pretty high. .25 percent in 30 years. when you start getting over 13 to 1 then maybe i consider it high. Have worked on some newer blown cars that start at 10 to 1. and Make awsome HP 's and stay reliable. Have built engines upwards of 15 to 1 over the years. Again it comes down to Eliminating Detonation. ITs what can kill a engine fast. Just need to figure out what your combo needs to keep it from detonating. Ok im getting off the topic of additives. Octane use what you need to eliminate detonation(knock) other Additives if you do your maintaince and use decent lubricants and fuels shouldnt need any. Except were recommended like Limited slip additive for a rear end. Fuel system cleaners to his own choice. KNow guys that swear by them know others that never use with no problems.

a bunch of hand-wavey FUD.

a bunch of hand-wavey FUD.[/QUOTE]
Old 03-03-2014, 07:12 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

You are mostly correct. Simple bolt ons like a CAI do not call for high octane fuel. However, if you do a hot tune that aggressively advances the timing to increase HP may make high octane fuel necessary.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:11 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

part of it was a friendly jib... if it was 'meaner' sorry (welcome to the forums!)

It wasn't JUST you, some of the info here I kinda mixed authors with. I could see the argument for the octance 91/93, but around here it's either 91 WaWa brand, or 93 Shell/Exxon/BP etc... I don't know where WaWa gets it's fuel... so I only trusted it to my old Impala that I sold off.

Originally Posted by bryan67
Oh and about 25 posts, yea new to this Forum have been on others for years. Sorry i Dont have time to search the Net and find or post on every Forum out there.Ok DL for 1 I've never said higher pump octane will F your car up. look at your pumps reg.mid.prem. range is what 87 to 93 so whats that 6 points of octane rating?? Most standard vehicles wont get damaged by running pump gas.(E-85 Different discussion). Racing fuels also a Different discussion.
Octane rating as said above is Effects Knock of an engine. You want the Definition of Knock look it up. (look under detonation)
As for cars being smarter. They just have more options they can adjust is all. Still a Combustion engine. Looking for same Air/fuel ratios, timing, etc that we have always looked at. Just you may have more cams, variable timing, variable Fuel injection and so on. (again staying away for FI be it turbo or supercharger for this discussion). IF your only concern is Fuel Economy you have to look at the fuel % versus additive % IMO Different gas companies run different %'s What do you think is going to get better mileage more Fuel in the gal. or more additive %. SO without out knowing the exact make up of each. Different blends do get different MPGs. Agree with you there. But dont think its the octane rating thats doing it.
and for E-85 you need roughly a ratio of 1.6 to 1 versus Gasoline so yea you gonna see MPG drop. (imo i wouldnt waste running E-85 on a NA car unless i got no other choice. Now if its Blown,boosted,Bottle fed E-85 has some nice advantages)
I've been talking HP in my posts. And like i have said the lower number octane fuel you can run without detonation occuring, the more power you going to make. Like you say your tuned for 91. Then your wasting money on 93 or higher IMO. Gas around here is .15$ between fuel levels. So your wasting 1-2 dollars per fill up. And if you put lets say 104 in it according to you it should run even better and get better economy right? Bet it dont unless you make some tuning changes. And as you say about cars being smarter. (then why have you needed to get it Tuned??) The computer has only a operating Window it can make changes in. It needs to be tuned to change the parameters of that Window.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:42 AM
bryan67
2nd Gear Member

Im just trying to get guys to think. IF you do aggressive mods and Tunes yea you may need to raise your octane. If you just doing simple mods or even running stock Most of the time Lower Octane will make more power. No reason to spend the extra $$ on the higher octane fuel. If you can access a scanner that shows live data. Take it out for a romp Look for knock or miss fire data, if you dont have any. when your tank gets low put mid or reg. in Just a few gals and try the same thing. Or do it on a dyno monitoring samethings. See what the differences are. Ill leave it at that good luck. See ya at the tracks.

Oh an DL yea NP m8 was having a bad day didnt mean to come off harsh. Hope to see you at the MIR race 1st week of May Planning on being there.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:55 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bryan67

Oh an DL yea NP m8 was having a bad day didnt mean to come off harsh. Hope to see you at the MIR race 1st week of May Planning on being there.
Hopefully I'll have the supercharger up and running by then!
Old 03-04-2014, 01:16 PM
Diode Dynamics
Sponsor

The 3v doesn't like octane boosters

Nick C.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:41 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by daredevil95
back in the late 90's I had a stock Camaro SS and I put in $40 bucks worth of 104 octane
Originally Posted by daredevil95
I misread the gas pump and put $40 bucks in and it pretty much filled the tank...
$40 worth would of damn near overflowed the tank back then. even with race fuel prices.