Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems with automatic window going up with the door open.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 10:15 PM
Dencon
1st Gear Member

Default Problems with automatic window going up with the door open.

You all know when I open the door and the window goes down a little. Then when you shut the door, it goes up and seals? Well over the past few days. My car is going crazy and getting confused. When I open the door. The window goes down then goes right back up. It makes me nervous when I shut the door because now the window stays all the way up. Sometimes as I have the door open the window will state going up and down and up and down. Just in the inch that it use to just go down and stay until I shut it.
Has this happened to any of you? Is this the signs of more problems on the way with the computer?
Old 03-06-2014, 03:07 AM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

It happens, you need to recalibrate it, it is in the owners manual.
Pretty sure it is, open window and hold button for about 3 seconds after it reaches full open, then close window and continue to hold button for 3 seconds after it reaches fully closed.
Ohh yea do this with the doors closed.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:24 AM
Dencon
1st Gear Member

Thanks for that info. I tried that many times today, but it did not work.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:58 AM
waykooljr
3rd Gear Member

I just went through a similar problem, mine would go down but wouldn't close when the door was closed. I wound up disconnecting the battery, that got it to working. Kind of a pain cause you have to go through all the learning/calibration processes.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:21 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

+1 on the window calibration procedure, but if you're continuing to have issues then I strongly suggest you have the battery AND alternator load tested by a good shop. These S197's are known for chronic charging system issues which can cause quite a few gremlins. Also, on the outside chance, check your carpet for dampness by the front passenger kick panel. The chronic water leak issue is also known to cause a LOT of electrical gremlins.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:00 PM
Dencon
1st Gear Member

I never post again telling you guys that it did work recalibrating the window. but now it is sometimes staying down when I close the door. Giving me the "Door ajar" alarm. Also leaving the interior light on. I am going to try this procedure again. If it does not work, I will do what waykooljr post. about disconnecting the battery.
I have had the battery and charging system checked a few times and it has all come up good.
Thanks again guys.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:32 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Try spraying some WD40 inside where the door latch (not door handle) is on the door and open and close the door several times. The WD40 will clean the switch since that is its function. Once that is done, use some spray graphite to lubricate it with. Then do another reprogram. I had this happen on one other car belonging to a friend and it solved his issues.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:40 PM

Here is a link to the TSB, 06-22-18, for the window. It worked for us. http://www.stangnet.com/images/stori...s/06-22-18.pdf Good luck!!!!!!!
Old 06-08-2014, 07:47 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

That tsb is the standard reset that has been mentioned and tried according to the op.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:25 AM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

I would disconnect the battery for 10 plus minutes then try the window reset trick. Roll down all the way and hold 3-5 sec then up and hold 3-5 sec. This EXACT same thing happened to me. Worked for me. If not I would search for a charging issue..

Quick Reply: Problems with automatic window going up with the door open.