Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

time for new headlight bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 07:30 AM
RazorGT
2nd Gear Member

Default time for new headlight bulbs

the stock bulbs are just way to weak and i don't usually drive at night but ive had too many close calls recently from not being able to see the road properly, and when it comes to driving, visibility is EXTREMELY important! I drive with headlights + fogs and still have trouble.

I've decided to either go with sylvania silverstar or silverstar ultra, which do you like better? I'm leaning towards silverstar because I hear the ultras burn out almost once a year, so I don't want to be replacing bulbs every year, also I hear they are so bright they hurt the eyes of oncoming traffic which is also pretty dangerous when you think about it (visibility!!!)

the silverstars say 30% brighter than factory, how do you guys like them? seriously though the stock headlight bulbs are SO weak I have no idea how they can be considered DOT approved and safe :S

Last edited by RazorGT; 03-11-2014 at 07:32 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:58 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

I have heard the same about the Ultra bulbs, I'd just go with the standard Silverstar or a good HID kit if you want to go that route.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:37 AM
CorruptedDemon60
2nd Gear Member

I drive an 18 wheeler for a living with alot of night miles. With that said I use the Silverstar Ultras. I replace mine every thanksgiving. Not because they burn out, but for the insurance of not having them burnout. Never had an oncoming driver, car or semi, ever flash me. Just some background on my driving. All 48 states and western Canada. So no city lights or street lights, just my headlights. Also drive 6-8 hours a night with them on, not to mention when its raining and having them on. So that should tell you how long they last. The pattern on them is very nice. I would recommend them hands down. And you can always adjust your headlights alittle lower if you really needed to. I didn't have to. Get them you won't regret it.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:39 AM
CorruptedDemon60
2nd Gear Member

Forgot to mention. I had HIDs in my mustang for about a year, was always flashed no matter how low I adjusted them. Replaced them with the ultras and haven't been flashed since. The mustang has had them for going on 4 years now and never been replaced.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:23 AM
krazykevin
2nd Gear Member

I run Phillips x treme vision, and they are super bright, and I do not get flashed. I ordered them from amazon because no one had them locally. I would recommend them to anyone though.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:32 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

or a good HID kit
there is no such thing.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:14 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

IIRC, the Silverstars are 4000K and the Ultras are 4100K. I ran the Silverstars in my SUV's before the Ultras hit the market and they burned out about once a year. I also have the Silverstars in my Stang, having installed them also before the Ultras came out but since the Stang isn't my DD and not often driven at night, the Silverstars have been in since 2007 without a burnout. However, I preferred them so much over the stock lamps (3500K-3800K on average) that I put up with the burn-outs in the SUV's and was fine replacing them. I've since installed the Ultras in the SUV (about 5 years ago without a burn out)and will eventually install them in the Stang. I consider the Ultras to have a tad superior color while still not being that terribly annoying "beyond white".
Old 03-11-2014, 06:35 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz78817
there is no such thing.
Of course there is, I have had the same kit for 4 years now.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:13 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz78817
there is no such thing.
Well, let's examine that statement^. I have a Hi/Lo kit from RetroSolutions that I have been driving with, totally trouble free, for 100,000 miles. During that time I have fantastic headlights, and have been flashed maybe 3 times. I've never touched any part of the system. No such thing? BS.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:26 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

Silverstars are definitely whiter and worth it if you're looking for brightness improvement, they get my vote.

HID bulbs are not made for halogen reflectors at all, in any form, and "capping" the bulb is not effective. Beam pattern is crap, return wire shadow (yes you will see it if you know what you are looking for), they are not better, just more unfocused, blinding light available to scatter the beam all over the ground/horizon in front of the car into incoming traffic to the point where they are useful. A proper HID set up is available to Mustangs from '05-present from Ford; expensive but the beam pattern/light output is pretty spot on compared to crap HID bulb kits.

Quick Reply: time for new headlight bulbs