Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"As-Is" and Factory Warranties

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 10:35 AM
ColinW627
1st Gear Member

Default "As-Is" and Factory Warranties

If a car is bought with a window sticker saying "as is no warranty" but the car has only 10,000 miles on it, does the factory warranty apply?
Old 03-14-2014, 11:28 AM
Getsome19
1st Gear Member

No, otherwise it would have said it had a warranty. What year is the car? The standard it 3years/36k miles which ever comes first.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:37 AM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

It also depends on the dealer. I have seen local USED ONLY car dealers say no warranty because THEY offer no warranty.....even though Ford still offered the factory coverage. Best to ask the dealer.....and then have Ford run the VIN for all warranty info. and work done. Warranty is not by miles only either.....

Replace Ford with any other brand as needed.....
Old 03-14-2014, 11:58 AM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Depends entirely on the State you live in.

Typically "As is-No Warranty" applies to a used Vehicle. With 10k miles on it already that car is used...And once presented on the sale of the vehicle it pretty much cancels out any implied warranty, including even where a lemon law would apply if the dealer states any pre-existing problems prior to sale. And in many cases the implied Warranty might no longer apply for the vehicle going across to other states as well. Additionally you need to have that dealer further detail what is being implied... For example if they say "Drivetrain" or "Power train" or "Brake System" there are a whole bunch of components that comprise each. The Brake Booster could be considered a part of the Brake system coverage, but Pads are not. So they need to clarify this for you on what is being implied.

That said..."As Is -No Warranty" means Powertrain, Drive Train etc etc... are not their problem....Unless laws specific to your state...say otherwise.

But, the Manufacturer Warranty is subject to whatever the manufacturer stated in their provided warranty booklet. So regardless of what the Dealer is washing their hands of.... The Manufacturer might still cover it. And you'll find yourself right back at that same dealer to have that manufacture warranty covered problem taken care of anyway.

In other words.... you'll need to read about what applies then contact the Manufacturer to get an idea of where you can go to have the in warranty work done, if your dealer won't touch it.

At 10k miles.....the car could have other problems that left the dealer being forced to buy back the car? Who knows. If they are putting that "AS Is- No Warranty" window sticker on it, be prepared to ask a LOT OF QUESTIONS about it. and ask if you can have the car inspected prior to final sale. And ask for a copy of the Manufacture Warranty booklet on that vehicle. READ IT THOROUGHLY and then ask more questions with what you learn from it.

CAVEAT EMPTOR. Buyer Beware.

---

Last edited by Cruzinaround; 03-14-2014 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:36 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

the factory warranty should be transferable, though. When I bought my Ranger it still had about 1.5 years and 20k miles of factory warranty left.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:16 PM
ColinW627
1st Gear Member

Well I'm a noobie at buying cars, this was the first time I had even gone through the whole process myself. I bought the V6 14' with basically 10K miles and it isn't very old obviously. The sticker showed "as-is no warranty" but they told me otherwise. They said it has a 36,000 bumper to bumper and a 60,000 powertrain from the factory. However, I now notice that is no where in writing so I was wondering if they just said that to get me to sign some papers. I was hoping that means the dealer themselves will not warrant any faults.

The car is amazing and it seems in perfect condition but if my engine dies as 15,000 miles I don't wanna be up ****s creek.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:26 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

as long as the car was not a 'Salvage' title or a rebuilt, you still have the Ford Warranty. You will need to go to Ford to have them service it. The dealer you bought from will not cover anything.

Thus, 'As-is' no warranty provided or implied by the selling party.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:46 PM
ColinW627
1st Gear Member

That's excellent news. Yeah the carfax was clean with one owner and the dealer said the same. Its about to hit the shop this weekend for its first service and so I can clear all this warranty stuff up.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:51 PM
RetiredSFC 97
1st Gear Member

What others have said. If the factory warranty is still in affect, it's still covered so long as the car wasn't salvaged.

You didn't say if the car was at a new car dealer or where it was.

Couple things.

If it is at a Ford dealer, they are required to honor any existing warranty. If it is at a say a Chevy dealer, they will say it has no warranty because they are not honoring it. A used car dealer will say no warranty because they are not honoring it.

My car said existing warranty available and extended coverage available. But it was a large Ford dealership that also gives a 6 month warranty themselves on all used cars.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:00 PM
ColinW627
1st Gear Member

Yeah the car was bought used at a new/used Ford dealer up in Cincinnati. Sounds like I am in the clear, as long as the factory warranty applies I'm happy.

Quick Reply: "As-Is" and Factory Warranties