Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 GT on regular 87 octane gas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 02:47 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by jhawkr
Says you. Watching your money is a positive attribute and you will learn that someday. Or you won't and you will end up with nothing. $500/yr for 10 years is $5000. If you can save that money, and you are not using the full potential of your car anyway, why waste the money? I drive a Mustang because I like Mustangs. I've owned a 66, a 67, a 2010GT and the current 2014GT. (I wanted the last of the generation). And, I can afford it. I just choose not to spend money unnecessarily.
You are preaching to the wrong choir there bub.

I've got three kids, two of which we put through college, third starting soon, a nice nearly paid for house, three cars, no credit card debt, and decent retirement funds going. Most of this was achieved with either only one income sometimes or a combined income of under 6 figures.

A car in the U.S. for most areas is a need. A Mustang though is a want, not a need. You don't NEED to drive a mustang, you like/want to and you are in a position to do so, so you do. You can't fault someone like me for wanting to use premium without expecting someone with a Honda faulting you for buying a Mustang to begin with.

Buying a want is different than buying a need. If you have to sweat the small stuff on a want, you probably can't truly afford it or need to be more realistic about what you can afford (or the opportunity cost of owing your want). Things like maintenance and fuel are a no brainer.

A Mustang isn't exactly fuel efficient. There again don't buy a Stang and bitch you get crappy mileage while at the same time planting your foot solidly into the floorpan at every stoplight and bragging about the Honda you blew away.

If the car requires premium fuel why buy it to bitch about it? Don't buy the car. If the car recommends premium fuel, you don't have to use it but there again, don't bitch about the reduced performance.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:00 PM
bryan67
2nd Gear Member

Default hp diff

Originally Posted by audioAl
Almost 100 hp increase, the DOHC 3.7 has variable timing and can tell the octane and adjust itself, from 305 to 315 hp.
Please show me dyno info that shows you gain HP from reg. to prem. fuel with a Mustang. If your car is not detonating you'll make more power with a lower octane number. And at 11 to 1 comp. without a custom tune shouldnt need to run prem. So Dont think you going to make more Hp on prem. How is the car going to know whats in the tank??
Old 03-20-2014, 04:27 PM
chain1
4th Gear Member

For what it's worth, I've had my 2014 GT/CS for about a month now and I am averaging around 8.2 mpg.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:42 PM
chromebluestrat
1st Gear Member

I picked up a brand new Black 2014 GT today. I told you it wasn't a deal breaker. LOL
This car is badass!!!
Old 03-20-2014, 09:17 PM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bryan67
Please show me dyno info that shows you gain HP from reg. to prem. fuel with a Mustang. If your car is not detonating you'll make more power with a lower octane number. And at 11 to 1 comp. without a custom tune shouldnt need to run prem. So Dont think you going to make more Hp on prem. How is the car going to know whats in the tank??
Your statement is based on assuming that the engine valve timing is not variable. This is flat out not true. A lower octane fuel is more prone to early detonation because lower octane fuel contains more energy. Therefore, the computer must pull timing in order to run low octane fuel without detonation, especially at 11:1 compression. The computer DOES distinguish between octane grades and makes timing adjustments as you drive.

I picked up a brand new Black 2014 GT today. I told you it wasn't a deal breaker. LOL
This car is badass!!!
Congrats! You won't be disappointed! Plus, black is soooo sexy
Old 03-20-2014, 09:25 PM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by chromebluestrat
This car is badass!!!
And just remember if you cut out one fancy coffee, you have covered the difference between a tank of regular and premium, one stinkin coffee.
And always stick to a tier one fuel like Chevron, your car is worth it.
Oh yea were the heck are the pics.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:35 PM
chromebluestrat
1st Gear Member

just drove it home 2 hours ago. hope to have pics soon. thanks.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:37 AM
bryan67
2nd Gear Member

Default octane

Originally Posted by BrazenStang
Your statement is based on assuming that the engine valve timing is not variable. This is flat out not true. A lower octane fuel is more prone to early detonation because lower octane fuel contains more energy. Therefore, the computer must pull timing in order to run low octane fuel without detonation, especially at 11:1 compression. The computer DOES distinguish between octane grades and makes timing adjustments as you drive.

Congrats! You won't be disappointed! Plus, black is soooo sexy
Yes i know about variable valve timing and again. How does your car know what fuel you put in it? Does it randomally advance timing til it sees detonation and back off? I hear guys tell me it will make more hp well Show me facts. Weres a Dyno sheet of the same car with reg fuel. and with prem. and a 10hp diff. as stated previously. If you have a tune and have added timing then I can see prem. being required. From what i know about Ford base programming. Sorry dont see the need for prem. And hate to say it all cars for decades have made timing adjustments while you drive. Be it thru variable valve or ignition timing or combination of both.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:21 AM
Mrbobcat
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by chromebluestrat
This car is badass!!!
nice, may I ask about how much you paid and the options? I'm debating on going to look at some mustangs today. This dealer has several near base in black, blue, silver and gray. Some have the 3.73 and they have an auto I'd like to try too. Only thing is its about a 2 hour drive and we got a little snow this morning. I'd like to go on a nicer day, but I already set up an appointment.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:01 AM
70monte
1st Gear Member

Lets be realistic. Most people waste money on something, be it coffee, soda, cigarettes, etc. Cut back on whatever your vice is and you have the extra money it will cost to run premium. To me, the extra money I have to spend on premium is not a deal breaker and if it's recommended for my car, than I'm going to use it.

Whether it makes more power from using it, I don't know, since the only tank of 87 octane it's had in it was the original fill that the dealer put in it the day I bought it. Every tank since then has been premium. I can't remember what the car felt like on the original tank vs all of the other ones. Use what makes you happy and comfortable and go on with it.

Wayne

Quick Reply: 2014 GT on regular 87 octane gas?