Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too late to go with FI?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 06:24 PM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

Default Too late to go with FI?

I was really trying to hold out until next year to do a 4.6 swap, but I am really getting bored of the performance on the 4.0. I am debating about getting a Vortech, and getting another few years worth of fun out of it before doing the v8 swap, but have a few concerns:

1. My car has 151k miles

2. I drive my car 55 miles to work every day (round trip).

This is my DD and I need it to continue being reliable. I already have an 8.8 with 3.73 gears, so I am not worried about the rear end, but is the engine still healthy enough to cope with the extra power on daily basis?

Last edited by defiance; 03-21-2014 at 06:44 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:47 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

Auto or manual? If you've got a manual, you would probably end up wanting to do the TR3650 swap too. Idk I know RedFire has a used Vortech for sell that would probably be good for something like that. Have you done a tune and intake yet? If not that might do it for you for the next year, then you could reuse the tuner for your new motor.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:11 PM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tanner05
Auto or manual? If you've got a manual, you would probably end up wanting to do the TR3650 swap too. Idk I know RedFire has a used Vortech for sell that would probably be good for something like that. Have you done a tune and intake yet? If not that might do it for you for the next year, then you could reuse the tuner for your new motor.
Mine is an auto. it has been rebuilt at 36k miles, with heavier duty parts and a shift kit. So I am not sure if the tranny should be a concern or not. And actually, the reason I started debating is the fact that RedFire is selling one. I have not talked to him yet, but it would be a good buy. I already have a tuner, never bothered doing an intake though. Just was not enough of a gain for me to invest the money.

P.S I cannot believe you sold your 4.0! You already had a donor car for the swap too. What happened? Don't get me wrong though, that 14 CS in white is a beauty.

Last edited by defiance; 03-21-2014 at 07:14 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:22 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

Yep, I actually sold everything to Redfire, which is why he's selling his supercharger. Yeah, my 4.0 needed more suspension parts, the brakes kept being a pain in the ***, the exhaust kept ****ing up. Don't get me wrong, all the problems came with messing with the car so much, but I was just done with it. The 4.6 3v was broken down and everything. It would've been $7k to get it done the way we wanted it and that was without going FI, like planned. So it was either dump another 20k into the 4.0 or trade it, spend 8k more and get the California and not have to worry about it anymore.

Don't get me wrong. Loved that car, but she got to be a bit of a headache. Everything would've been fine if I had another car to drive while the 4.0 was out of commission, but I didn't, so that was kind of inconvenient. Lol

Last edited by Tanner05; 03-21-2014 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:21 PM
JimC

I put the Xcharger on my 2006 4.0 automatic at 90,000 miles (after two seasons of a 75 shot of nitrous). It was also my daily driver, with a 90 mile round trip for work 5 days a week - and weekend drag strip time during the summer.

I sold it when I ordered my 2013 in June 2012 - with 203,000 miles on it, still running mid 12's. The new owner had it to the track as well and wasn't running as quick, but he was on street tires - and 212,000 miles.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:37 AM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

I think the 4.6 swap will be more trouble than it's worth, frankly. If you like the body style of your S197, then just sell the V6 you have, and buy a GT of a similar year and go from there. My two cents...
Old 03-22-2014, 12:50 AM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tanner05
Yep, I actually sold everything to Redfire, which is why he's selling his supercharger. Yeah, my 4.0 needed more suspension parts, the brakes kept being a pain in the ***, the exhaust kept ****ing up. Don't get me wrong, all the problems came with messing with the car so much, but I was just done with it. The 4.6 3v was broken down and everything. It would've been $7k to get it done the way we wanted it and that was without going FI, like planned. So it was either dump another 20k into the 4.0 or trade it, spend 8k more and get the California and not have to worry about it anymore.

Don't get me wrong. Loved that car, but she got to be a bit of a headache. Everything would've been fine if I had another car to drive while the 4.0 was out of commission, but I didn't, so that was kind of inconvenient. Lol
Sounds like it was only logical at that point. Either way, you have a killer stang now. Can't ask for more than that. Well until you start modding it i suppose

Originally Posted by JimC
I put the Xcharger on my 2006 4.0 automatic at 90,000 miles (after two seasons of a 75 shot of nitrous). It was also my daily driver, with a 90 mile round trip for work 5 days a week - and weekend drag strip time during the summer.

I sold it when I ordered my 2013 in June 2012 - with 203,000 miles on it, still running mid 12's. The new owner had it to the track as well and wasn't running as quick, but he was on street tires - and 212,000 miles.
Good enough for me. Now I just have to figure out if I want to spend that much cash at once...ugh...I hate this part.

Originally Posted by kenthicken
I think the 4.6 swap will be more trouble than it's worth, frankly. If you like the body style of your S197, then just sell the V6 you have, and buy a GT of a similar year and go from there. My two cents...
Even though that may be easier, and from a financial standpoint a better way to get what I want, this will never be an option for me. I had the car for 7 years, the car has been paid off years ago. I am mentally/emotionally attached to this car. And I like the feeling of evolving it into something I want it to be. Next spring I will be buying a DD to retire the mustang. At that point, I no longer will have to worry about something taking longer than expected while working on it. And after recently graduating and buying a house, I now have a garage at my disposal, so no lack of workspace either. I wish I would have been able to afford the GT from day one right after high school, but I did not have such luck, so now I just want to build my own.

Last edited by defiance; 03-22-2014 at 12:53 AM.
Old 03-22-2014, 03:20 AM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

For these reasons, I say no.
1.V6.
2.151K miles
3.Round Trip
4.Auto
5.Daily Driver

You should honestly save yourself the time and money and just save up for a V8 stick, be happy with that for awhile (and you will be), then drop FI in it when you're ready. As long as you take care of the car, it will last you then. I had mine dropped in at 70K and I'm at over 100K now still running strong on stock drivetrain and motor.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:50 AM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by defiance
Even though that may be easier, and from a financial standpoint a better way to get what I want, this will never be an option for me. I had the car for 7 years, the car has been paid off years ago. I am mentally/emotionally attached to this car. And I like the feeling of evolving it into something I want it to be. Next spring I will be buying a DD to retire the mustang. At that point, I no longer will have to worry about something taking longer than expected while working on it. And after recently graduating and buying a house, I now have a garage at my disposal, so no lack of workspace either. I wish I would have been able to afford the GT from day one right after high school, but I did not have such luck, so now I just want to build my own.
If those are your long range plans then just keep it as you are, until you get your other car. Why spend money on the 4.0 when you are just going to replace it. When you get your other DD car then you can plan for the swap. I would recommend skipping the 3V and get a new 5.0 4V Aluminator crate engine from Ford and swap that into your car. Why spend $15-20K doing a built 3V swap, go for the 4V and have something unique and better performing.
Old 03-23-2014, 03:13 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

^^^ What he said. Save your money until you have a replacement DD. If you are attached to this car as much as you say you are, then now is not the wise time to be messing with it. Get your daily commute nailed down, then start working on the long term plans. You could get a sweet crate engine and make that thing tear the pavement to shreds if that's your goal and so have your cake and eat it too if you can be patient.