Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for new head unit that is similar to shaker

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 02:06 PM
Fort LiquordaleGT
2nd Gear Member

Default Looking for new head unit that is similar to shaker

I want to replace the stock shaker 500 in my 06gt, I need to use the phone while driving and none of the blue tooth units are loud enough for a mustang and none of the radio/phone functionality of them work well enough..

I don't want some dj inspired kiddie head unit that use to impress me 20 years ago in high school, I want something like this:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-h0LeOd8...ersey-220.html

Problem is I don't think this product exists. I can't find it on their website only crutchfield but you can't order it. It may also be called the New Orleans.

http://www.blaupunktdirect.co.uk/car...h-2014-en.html

Do you know of another similar head unit? I don't want nav, touch screen etc.. The shaker is a great head unit just missing the phone connectivity function.

Thanks
Old 03-23-2014, 03:19 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Well you could keep your shaker and add this. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_333CK30...n.html?tp=8395 It seems to get pretty good reviews and I've heard of it being used with a Shaker 500 at least on 2 other occasions.

Another recommendation and this might sound a bit redneck is there is a way to hook up a simple mini-rca inline with your shaker. I did it in my 06. Then you can run a line from your phone's headphone jack when you're in the car to the line in jack for the shaker, go to the aux input and then the callers voice comes through the car speakers while you talk into the microphone on your phone. I do that in my F150 which has a crap stereo that I can't swap out and my wife says it sounds better then anything and frankly, it sounds far better than any bluetooth I've used.
Old 03-23-2014, 03:28 PM
wekenav8r

I just finished installing this one in my '06.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113DDX3...od-DDX371.html
It was very easy to do, and Crutchfield is awesome to deal with. They supply a harness with plugs that connect to your stock wiring harness so you don't have to cut any wires. The Bluetooth works excellent and this unit has a remote microphone. I also installed front and rear cameras.
You may not be interested in the camera option or DVD, and maybe want something a little cheaper. You might give Crutchfield a call and see what they recommend. I've called them a couple of times and got right through with no waiting, and person was very helpful.
Old 03-23-2014, 03:35 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wekenav8r
I just finished installing this one in my '06.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113DDX3...od-DDX371.html
It was very easy to do, and Crutchfield is awesome to deal with. They supply a harness with plugs that connect to your stock wiring harness so you don't have to cut any wires. The Bluetooth works excellent and this unit has a remote microphone. I also installed front and rear cameras.
You may not be interested in the camera option or DVD, and maybe want something a little cheaper. You might give Crutchfield a call and see what they recommend. I've called them a couple of times and got right through with no waiting, and person was very helpful.
I agree with everything you said and I've done it with Pioneers, but he doesn't want anything flashy or touch screeny. Basically...it might even make him happy if he could have the old 5 push button dial AM radio if his phone worked with it. Ok too far But yes, your solution is a good one and in most cases spot on, but nothing too fancy.

So maybe something like this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/370995268332?lpid=82
Or this...
Amazon.com: Boss 822UA In-Dash Double-Din CD/MP3 Receiver with Front Panel AUX Input, USB, SD Card: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Boss 822UA In-Dash Double-Din CD/MP3 Receiver with Front Panel AUX Input, USB, SD Card: Car Electronics
Old 03-23-2014, 04:48 PM
Fort LiquordaleGT
2nd Gear Member

I like the shaker because I can feel the radio and not look at it. I just want to play tunes and talk on the phone, most modern DD radios are simply too complicated for no reason. I don't need a light show and 10,000 options... I saw one radio that basically admitted this and it has an option for simple mode.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:27 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

I understand what you're saying. My wife is the same way. When we bought her mustang it already had a stereo setup that was far beyond anything I could have built. 5 amps, 4 subs, this thing even has it's own battery. Long story short the head unit was malfunctioning and we found a head unit she could live with in a Pioneer. I pushed that make because that was what was coming out, their setup can be simple and she found it easier to use. Now that it's done, she's happy with it and it's not over complicated for her. She just wants it to work. It's not like mine with GPS and traffic and all that other stuff but it is a touchscreen.

The problem I have with bluetooth is once a device is paired, generally performance is either ok or even good, but not what I'd call great. Then when the devices have to re-pair I think it takes way too long to negotiate and establish a connection. The problem with in car phones is I don't know if the problem is microphone quality or placement, but a lot of the time people say they have trouble hearing me. This has been in 3 different mustangs. I know when my wife calls me in her mustang or her explorer (and the explorer is far quieter but has a stock mic built in somewhere) that the voice quality sucks. However, plugging into the aux audio jack and playing through the speakers on my pickup is still much better.