Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sync Andriod Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 09:18 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

Default Sync Andriod Question

I have Nav in my car, but it doesn't seem to be very Android friendly. When I hook my phone up, a Samsung S4, with a USB cord it says the phone isn't supported through the USB channel, but it will work through the Line In channel. There are also a few options using Bluetooth that won't work, like turning off the incoming call ringer.

Is anyone else having this issue? Is it an Android thing? A Samsung incompatibility? Or am I just doing something wrong? It seems weird that Ford would put out a system that didn't play nice with the Android platform if that is the case.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:10 AM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

I'm not an authority on android devices or their interaction with our car audio, but I'm fairly certain the USB port cannot be used in the manner you expect.

When you hook-up an android phone from the USB, it's used as a mass storage device. So if you had music files, our head unit might be able to find and play them, but not much else (e.g. navigation, audio output, etc.). My experience with my android phones (Galaxy S3 and Nexus 5) and the USB option has been pretty much the same; I can't play audio, even the tracks I have on my phone. Line-in, as you found out, should work for the purpose of audio out because really that its only purpose.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:43 AM
shouldhavegottheGT
2nd Gear Member

Mine is the same way. I was actually googling this today. My will play through Bluetooth but doesn't list the tracks. I can forward through the play list. Sometimes it will turn on when I switch to Aux other times I have to press play from my phone. Its kind of annoying. Looks like my next phone is going to be IOS.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:39 PM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by Tanner05
I have Nav in my car, but it doesn't seem to be very Android friendly. When I hook my phone up, a Samsung S4, with a USB cord it says the phone isn't supported through the USB channel, but it will work through the Line In channel. There are also a few options using Bluetooth that won't work, like turning off the incoming call ringer.

Is anyone else having this issue? Is it an Android thing? A Samsung incompatibility? Or am I just doing something wrong? It seems weird that Ford would put out a system that didn't play nice with the Android platform if that is the case.
Hi Tanner05,

Try removing the battery from your phone and replacing it. Once the phone boots back up, connect it again via USB. Press the VOICE COMMAND button on your steering wheel and say USB. If you continue to receive an error message, try performing a master reset to SYNC: http://support.ford.com/sync-technol...ync-navigation

Let me know how it goes!

Originally Posted by shouldhavegottheGT
Mine is the same way. I was actually googling this today. My will play through Bluetooth but doesn't list the tracks. I can forward through the play list. Sometimes it will turn on when I switch to Aux other times I have to press play from my phone. Its kind of annoying. Looks like my next phone is going to be IOS.
Hi shouldhavegottheGT,

When connecting via Bluetooth Audio, most phones will require that you press play from your actual phone. If you have an auto-play option within the settings of your device, this may affect the behavior when connected to SYNC and cause the audio to play automatically upon connection. I am only able to verify that there are no settings within the SYNC system that will affect this. There are some limited voice commands that may be used with this type of connection. Check them out here: http://support.ford.com/sync-technol...-by-voice-sync

Kim

Last edited by FordIVTteam; 03-25-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:57 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Line in channel simply sends the output from the speaker of your phone to the speakers on the head unit and then your phone is using it's own microphone. While it "works" technically it's no more advanced then using any external speaker with your phone. It's a redneck solution. Oddly enough, it probably sounds far better than any bluetooth connection. I know that only because that's how I do it in my F150. lol
Old 03-25-2014, 05:31 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

Originally Posted by FordIVTteam
Hi Tanner05,

Try removing the battery from your phone and replacing it. Once the phone boots back up, connect it again via USB. Press the VOICE COMMAND button on your steering wheel and say USB. If you continue to receive an error message, try performing a master reset to SYNC: http://support.ford.com/sync-technol...ync-navigation

Let me know how it goes!

Kim
Kim,

Thank you for the reply. I'll try this out. So it shouldn't be an Android vs IOS issue? Also, do you know if Ford has any plans of working with Spotify to get a Sync app that works with Android instead of just iPhone? I know that's probably just a shot in the dark, just checking.

Spartan, thanks. I have no idea about what will play audio and what won't, so I'll look into this and see if I'm just pulling a stupid mistake.

Yeah, ShouldvegottheGT, that is kind of irritating that the car doesn't show the titles of the tracks. I know it's a stupid first world problem to complain about, but it's still just not as good as it could be.

WC, I usually go through the bluetooth channel. It is a lot simpler than having to hook up the aux cord anyway.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:58 PM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Kim,

Thank you for the reply. I'll try this out. So it shouldn't be an Android vs IOS issue? Also, do you know if Ford has any plans of working with Spotify to get a Sync app that works with Android instead of just iPhone? I know that's probably just a shot in the dark, just checking.

You're welcome, Tanner05,

Currently, Spotify will only work with AppLink on an iPhone: http://support.ford.com/sync-technol...c-applink-sync Unfortunately, I haven't heard of anything in the works for Android at this time.

Kim
Old 03-25-2014, 07:19 PM
FivePointToTheOh
2nd Gear Member

Hmm, Using my Note 3 I seem to have no issues what so ever, Are you Rooted? Latest Firmware?
Old 03-25-2014, 07:34 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

It isn't rooted and I'm pretty sure it's up to date. I have it to where it updates as soon as it goes on Wifi. Is yours rooted? My husband has a Note 3, so I'll try with his to see if it works.