Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roush Exhaust - Too Loud??

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 05:08 PM
chain1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tanner05
That is some really ****ty luck. Like others have said, I wouldn't worry about it. On a side note, how is the noise in the cabin?
Sorry, missed your question. They are very quiet inside the cabin which is why I picked them. No drone whatsoever.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:18 PM
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wcgman
So you a cop or what? ... etc ... Chill man. ... etc ...
Not now .... and I stay chilled these days.

I just was explaining from another perspective why it maybe happened. Others here posting about the officers supposed faults as if there were no other explanations for the stop (like a poster in Colorado "Sounds like a cop having a bad day or power trippin. My Shelby is loud as **** and never gotten in any trouble with them in CO." ) .... and while I will agree that not all officers out there are professional .... there is as yet nothing I've read here in any way indicates that this officer was anything but professional.

Not hatin' on anyone here, not flaming, but simply stating why the stop took place to a poster who lives and was stopped in Va. (not CO.) from the perspective of a retired Va. (not CO.) LEO of some considerable experience.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:30 PM
70monte
1st Gear Member

I had this exhaust on my 14 GT for six months before taking it off and going with the GT500's. This is a loud exhaust, especially on a cold start and it stays pretty loud on any acceleration until it gets to operating temps and then quiets down a little but it's still pretty loud when you get on it. I decided I wanted something a little quieter and is why I went with the GT500's. I do love the sound of the Roush though.

As far as everyone posting that they don't get bothered in the state they live in really has no relevance to someone that lives in VA. I never got bothered here in MO with my exhaust but we don't have such restrictions on exhausts like I read in VA's ordinance. Maybe he just got unlucky to get stopped by one cop who does not like loud exhausts.

I think you could get away with the Roush exhaust as long as you don't get into it hard. I learned to do this on a vacation trip I took last fall when the exhaust sound was starting to get on my nerves after hours on the road.

Wayne
Old 03-26-2014, 10:10 AM
chain1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 70monte
I had this exhaust on my 14 GT for six months before taking it off and going with the GT500's. This is a loud exhaust, especially on a cold start and it stays pretty loud on any acceleration until it gets to operating temps and then quiets down a little but it's still pretty loud when you get on it. I decided I wanted something a little quieter and is why I went with the GT500's. I do love the sound of the Roush though.

As far as everyone posting that they don't get bothered in the state they live in really has no relevance to someone that lives in VA. I never got bothered here in MO with my exhaust but we don't have such restrictions on exhausts like I read in VA's ordinance. Maybe he just got unlucky to get stopped by one cop who does not like loud exhausts.

I think you could get away with the Roush exhaust as long as you don't get into it hard. I learned to do this on a vacation trip I took last fall when the exhaust sound was starting to get on my nerves after hours on the road.

Wayne
Thank for the info. I am about to go ahead and order the GT500's. The nice thing about them is that they are "50 State Drive-By Noise Legal". I was wondering though if you noticed much of a difference from the stock sound. If the difference is negligable then I would probably just reinstall the stock exhaust. Like I said, I don't want crazy loud, I'd just like it to sound a bit throatier than it does stock. Thanks for your help.
Also, if anyone lives in Northern VA and wants to buy a set of Roush Axle Backs with less than 20 miles on them let me know!
Old 03-26-2014, 12:40 PM
mdg
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by chain1
Thank for the info. I am about to go ahead and order the GT500's. The nice thing about them is that they are "50 State Drive-By Noise Legal". I was wondering though if you noticed much of a difference from the stock sound. If the difference is negligable then I would probably just reinstall the stock exhaust. Like I said, I don't want crazy loud, I'd just like it to sound a bit throatier than it does stock. Thanks for your help.
Also, if anyone lives in Northern VA and wants to buy a set of Roush Axle Backs with less than 20 miles on them let me know!
how much?
Old 03-26-2014, 12:42 PM
B's 5.0
Banned

Originally Posted by BrazenStang
That cop was having a BAD day. I have been pulled over because of my loud exhaust, but the exhaust only drew the attention of the cops. It was my excessive acceleration and high rate of speed that led to me getting pulled over. lol.

Enjoy the exhaust, and your car. If it happens again, then maybe reconsider but it is very unlikely. Also, I would check local ordinances. There is usually an actual decibel level maximum in order to get a ticket. "Louder" seems way too vague and subjective like you said, especially for a lawyer to write a law like that. There also may be a law about vehicle modifications. Just tell them that it is a "Roush factory option".
I agree. I do not know the Laws in your State, but I live in Maryland have the Roush exhaust and have been pulled over twice by the same cop for loud exhaust and he wrote me a warning ticket twice. I told him to write me a repair order both times so I could prove I do not have modified exhaust and he did not. I went to the local Inspection Station to inquire about the exhaust and they told me as long as you have a muffler ( which the Roush exhaust has ) they will pass your car and they do not have meters to measure decimals either that is not required by a inspection Station here. Remember one thing when your exhaust system gets old you have to change it, so what's the difference. Just like the cop that stopped me and you that's one cops opinion.The one advantage that I have is we do not have Emission inspections here in Salisbury Md. So don't worry about it and enjoy your Roush exhaust. Just remember when to get on it and when not to.

Last edited by B's 5.0; 03-26-2014 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:06 PM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Did he write you a ticket? I say if it's too loud you're too old. I live in downtown Austin with no cats and I've never had trouble with the law, quite the opposite in fact, they seem to ignore me even if I'm running a little fast. It all just depends on the cop and your luck I guess.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:25 PM
70monte
1st Gear Member

They are louder than the stock exhaust and to me have a deeper tone than the stock exhaust. At a hot idle, they are not much louder than stock and at cruising speed they don't sound much louder. On acceleration is where they are louder than stock. I would say that on a cold start, the GT500's are just a little bit quieter than the Roush system. Go to the latemodelrestoration website and they have a sound comparison of the GT500's with some other exhaust systems and gives the decibel levels of each exhaust compared to stock. They unfortunately don't compare the Roush system but I found a post somewhere from someone from latemodelrestoration that gave the decibel levels of the Roush system that they tested at a later date.

If you just want it to be a bit throatier than stock, I think you would be happy with the GT500's. They seem to be one of the most popular systems on every poll and thread on various mustang forums that I have read.

I'm happy with them and don't regret switching. I got lucky and was able to hear them in person because a local chevy dealer has a 2013 GT on their used lot for sale that has GT500's on it. I stopped and asked if I could hear the car run because I wanted to hear the exhaust. They started it up and then reved it a little. That pretty much convinced me. Good luck on your decision.

Wayne
Old 03-26-2014, 06:18 PM
chain1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 70monte
They are louder than the stock exhaust and to me have a deeper tone than the stock exhaust. At a hot idle, they are not much louder than stock and at cruising speed they don't sound much louder. On acceleration is where they are louder than stock. I would say that on a cold start, the GT500's are just a little bit quieter than the Roush system. Go to the latemodelrestoration website and they have a sound comparison of the GT500's with some other exhaust systems and gives the decibel levels of each exhaust compared to stock. They unfortunately don't compare the Roush system but I found a post somewhere from someone from latemodelrestoration that gave the decibel levels of the Roush system that they tested at a later date.

If you just want it to be a bit throatier than stock, I think you would be happy with the GT500's. They seem to be one of the most popular systems on every poll and thread on various mustang forums that I have read.

I'm happy with them and don't regret switching. I got lucky and was able to hear them in person because a local chevy dealer has a 2013 GT on their used lot for sale that has GT500's on it. I stopped and asked if I could hear the car run because I wanted to hear the exhaust. They started it up and then reved it a little. That pretty much convinced me. Good luck on your decision.

Wayne
Thanks again for all the info. I ordered them today. I listened to a bunch of youtube videos and they seem to be just what I'm looking for. Great price too at AM.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:42 PM
70monte
1st Gear Member

Thanks again for all the info. I ordered them today. I listened to a bunch of youtube videos and they seem to be just what I'm looking for. Great price too at AM.
No problem. Let us know how you like them when you get them installed. I will say that mine seem to be a little louder compared to when I first installed them. I've read various posts on these forums that have stated that they will get a little louder as you put the miles on them.

Wayne

Quick Reply: Roush Exhaust - Too Loud??