Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roush Exhaust - Too Loud??

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 11:59 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Just a ****** cop. Check mirrors before getting on it in the future. Go to any car show and there will be 100 cars louder than yours. Cop probably drives a minivan and hates it.....lol
Old 03-25-2014, 12:18 PM
bones302
2nd Gear Member

if it's only A/Bs you put in, then no it's not too loud. the beauty of the Roush axlebacks is that you can keep them pretty quiet when you need to.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:23 PM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

You just got unlucky and ran in to a cop that was looking to harass you a little.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:45 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

That is some really ****ty luck. Like others have said, I wouldn't worry about it. On a side note, how is the noise in the cabin?
Old 03-25-2014, 12:50 PM
chain1
4th Gear Member

Thanks all, I appreciate the input. I plan on keeping them on until I have other problems. I think I was probably just unlucky as well. I had just put them on 5 minutes earlier so I did get on it a little going up a hill so I think that's when he heard me. I never sped or anything. I will just see what happens I guess. Atleast I didn't get a ticket or a written warning of any type. Oh and yes it is just the axleback exhaust. The rest is stock (unless the shop did somehting I don't know about). They do seem louder in general, espeically at WOT than my Borlas did. Thanks again.

Last edited by chain1; 03-25-2014 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 03-25-2014, 01:33 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Sounds like a cop having a bad day or power trippin. My Shelby is loud as **** and never gotten in any trouble with them in CO.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:35 PM
mdg
4th Gear Member

Don't sweat it, leave them on! I have had SLP's, Borlas, and MAC Boomtubes on my previous GT for over 7/years and never had an issue. You got pulled over by a bored/jealous cop. Fairfax County has plenty of them. Trust me, I've lived here off/on since 1975. If they wrote tickets for loud exhausts; every rice-burner, motorcycle and pickup truck in the County would be written up. Again, leave them on and have fun!
Old 03-25-2014, 03:35 PM
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

I'm curious as to why some want to flame the officer for alleged "power trippin" or "fits of jealousy" or some other reason .... except that his attention was drawn to a possible violation .... when I posted the code section, with links, .... and even the opening poster says he got on it.

I know a few who are still "on the job" and own Mustangs (and some read these forums), but just because one owns a Mustang, even a Cobra or two (a Lt. I know) or likes cars in general is no reason to turn away from a violation or possible violation .... it's their job. They are around enough cars and into enough speed daily that someone cranking on it in first with loud pipes ain't likely to make them jealous. Some may even have their own Roush ABs, but they drive "to be quiet".

He didn't write it .... so I'd lay off.

In point of fact, if I had received the warning, I wouldn't have even posted about it here (especially with a pic of the car and a location in my sig). Before my last life in a long satisfying career I was a "toad" too, searching out something to run, hammering gears, smack talking with others at the local "Burger Noodle", impressin' the lasses, etc ..... and while I did get 9 tickets from ages 16-23, I got a bunch of warnings, many for exhaust. I appreciated every one them, and still do to this day .... because "a few more tickets", I likely would never have gotten to pursue the career I did.

... etc ... Also, I would check local ordinances. There is usually an actual decibel level maximum in order to get a ticket. "Louder" seems way too vague and subjective like you said, especially for a lawyer to write a law like that. There also may be a law about vehicle modifications. Just tell them that it is a "Roush factory option".
I posted the current Va. law in my other post, there is no reference to decibels .... but manufacturers must meet a decibel standard set by the DOT.

Last edited by tbear853; 03-25-2014 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:52 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tbear853
I'm curious as to why some want to flame the officer for alleged "power trippin" or "fits of jealousy" or some other reason .... except that his attention was drawn to a possible violation .... when I posted the code section, with links, .... and even the opening poster says he got on it.

I know a few who are still "on the job" and own Mustangs (and some read these forums), but just because one owns a Mustang, even a Cobra or two (a Lt. I know) or likes cars in general is no reason to turn away from a violation or possible violation .... it's their job. They are around enough cars and into enough speed daily that someone cranking on it in first with loud pipes ain't likely to make them jealous. Some may even have their own Roush ABs, but they drive "to be quiet".

He didn't write it .... so I'd lay off.

In point of fact, if I had received the warning, I wouldn't have even posted about it here (especially with a pic of the car and a location in my sig). Before my last life in a long satisfying career I was a "toad" too, searching out something to run, hammering gears, smack talking with others at the local "Burger Noodle", impressin' the lasses, etc ..... and while I did get 9 tickets from ages 16-23, I got a bunch of warnings, many for exhaust. I appreciated every one them, and still do to this day .... because "a few more tickets", I likely would never have gotten to pursue the career I did.
So you a cop or what? Does this burger have spit on it? Chill man. Everybody has a bad day once in a while and if cops stopped and cited every single person for every violation, well then we'd have some real reason to revolt. But they don't. Cop gave him a warning, so no worries. Their job is to enforce laws. We get that. But to deny they are selective in doing so is lying to yourself, so get off your soapbox and move along. Cops are human too and one of my best friends is a deputy sheriff. He can still be a jerk just like anybody else and I've told him to stick it up his keister more than a time or two. He threatens to krav maga my ***, I threaten to tell his wife about the time I caught him banging a goat, we laugh, we move on. Then again, maybe the cop is on a power trip and he's a jerk 24/7. You don't know more than anyone else so...(like a cop would say...)....move along...nothing to see here....move along people.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:51 PM
chain1
4th Gear Member

I was afraid this would happen. The last thing I wanted was for this thread to turn negative towards law enforcement. I want to be very clear in the fact that I have nothing but respect for law enforcement. I have not had a moving violation in at least 10 years, don't tint my windows and have had no trouble whatsoever with local law enforcement since I moved to this area over 20 years ago. Infact the guy who pullled me over was very nice about it and he even showed me the code that I am technically in violation of. I was only posting to see if others had had problems with this set up and I was also curious to see if perhaps mine were louder than normal, maybe installed incorrectly, loose, clamp, etc. Technically I was told that the car just needs to be quieter which is easily accomplished by keeping the revs down around town, which I do anyway.
Also, I'm already looking at other set ups that are quieter. I have no desire to continually get pulled over and to be honest, at WOT, this exhaust is fairly obnoxious and I would have probably pulled myself over. I just wanted to hear the car since I had just pulled out of the shop. I think the Borla's sounded great and were not as loud. I just figured I'd try something different. I don't necessarily want loud, I just wanted a "better" sound (if that makes sense). I'm not trying to draw anymore attention to myself than the car already does. There are a ton of Mustangs around here and I would have no problem selling the Roushes.
Again, the point of this thread was just see if anyone had had similar problems with the same set up. I wasn't angry or upset about being pulled over, just surprised. I have the information I need now so we can close/lock this thread. Thank you all for the responses.

Last edited by chain1; 03-25-2014 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quick Reply: Roush Exhaust - Too Loud??