Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roush Exhaust - Too Loud??

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 09:54 AM
chain1
4th Gear Member

Default Roush Exhaust - Too Loud??

First of all I live in Northern VA.
I just had my Roush exhaust installed at the shop accross from my house. I left the shop went about a a half mile and noticed I was being followed by a police car. Sure enough, I was pulled over shortly thereafter. The cop told me that he pulled me over because my exhaust was "too loud". I can understand this as it is a bit loud but I had Borla S Types on my 2011 Mustang and flowmasters on my truck and never had a problem. Do you guys think I was just unlucky? Has this happened to others? I did not get a ticket he just said that I needed to put it back to stock and cited the code that basically says you can be pulled over for having any aftermarket parts that make the car "louder". Seems pretty subjective to me but I don't want to keep getting pulled over. Just wanted to see what others thought.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:00 AM
2k232
2nd Gear Member

The cop was just harassing you its your car you like the sound keep it that way.... just because one police officer wants to say "that's too loud" isn't enough grounds for a ticket. At least not in SC....
Old 03-25-2014, 10:03 AM
lawrencecar1
2nd Gear Member

i have roush cat back, shorty headers, cams, supercharged and live in NOVA. Never had a issue...
Old 03-25-2014, 10:06 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by chain1
I just had my Roush exhaust installed at the shop accross from my house. I left the shop went about a a half mile and noticed I was being followed by a police car. Sure enough, I was pulled over shortly thereafter. The cop told me that he pulled me over because my exhaust was "too loud". I can understand this as it is a bit loud but I had Borla S Types on my 2011 Mustang and flowmasters on my truck and never had a problem. Do you guys think I was just unlucky? Has this happened to others? I did not get a ticket he just said that I needed to put it back to stock and cited the code that basically says you can be pulled over for having any aftermarket parts that make the car "louder". Seems pretty subjective to me but I don't want to keep getting pulled over. Just wanted to see what others thought.

Hey,

I'm sorry to hear about your recent run in with the law.

I really think you got unlucky, a lot of people are running a whole lot more than an axle back exhausta and rarely have any problems.

Nearly everyone of my Mustangs have had an exhaust, including one with long tubes, off road x pipe, and muffler delete. I never had any officer say the car was too loud, or get pulled over for it.

Laws are different everywhere, but I tend to think your officer was having a bad day, and your car probably stood out the most.

I hope this helps, and if you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to get back in touch.

-Dan
Old 03-25-2014, 10:10 AM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

I have the ROUSH's as well, in Cali. You can't get away with anything here lol BUT, I have yet to get pulled over or harassed for any noise issues. I guess it really just depends on the officer... Weird how that works.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:16 AM
2007StangV6
2nd Gear Member

What part of NOVA are you in? I'm in the Woodbridge area, and they don't seem to care too much.

When my car was egged, I called the cops out to file a report. When he got out there, he looked over my car, and asked me if that was the stock exhaust. I told him no. He told me that he could write me a ticket for having a modified exhaust. I laughed at the thought of that. He said, "Listen, I have a '06 sixxer. I want to do exhaust work to mine. If you start yours up, rev it up a bit and let me hear it, I won't write you one." Nicest/coolest cop ever.

The cop was probably having a bad day and needed something to do. Keep the exhaust and have fun with it!
Old 03-25-2014, 10:31 AM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

If you remove the resonators or have an offroad pipe, then yes the roush is too loud IMO. Its pretty loud under accelleration with all stock exhaust other than the mufflers
Old 03-25-2014, 10:40 AM
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by chain1
Maybe you "got happy" on the gas at the wrong place? Not accusing, just speculating. There are, after all, two ways to drive, one get's more attention much as the driver intends, just not always fromn those they desire it from. You can drive a quiet car "loudly" and you can drive a loud car "quietly".

He read this to you maybe?

§ 46.2-1049. Exhaust system in good working order.

No person shall drive and no owner of a vehicle shall permit or allow the operation of any such vehicle on a highway unless it is equipped with an exhaust system in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual levels of noise; provided however, that for motor vehicles, such exhaust system shall be of a type installed as standard factory equipment, or comparable to that designed for use on the particular vehicle as standard factory equipment. An exhaust system shall not be deemed to prevent excessive or unusual noise if it permits the escape of noise in excess of that permitted by the standard factory equipment exhaust system of private passenger motor vehicles or trucks of standard make.

The term "exhaust system," as used in this section, means all the parts of a vehicle through which the exhaust passes after leaving the engine block, including mufflers and other sound dissipative devices.

Chambered pipes are not an effective muffling device to prevent excessive or unusual noise, and any vehicle equipped with chambered pipes shall be deemed in violation of this section.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to converted electric vehicles.

(Code 1950, § 46-305; 1952, c. 455; 1956, c. 651; 1958, c. 541, § 46.1-301; 1960, c. 120; 1970, c. 266; 1972, c. 66; 1989, c. 727; 2006, cc. 529, 538; 2012, c. 177.)
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...+cod+46.2-1049

That has not changed, but it leaves room for some to misread it. It doesn't say that that vehicle can't be louder, as noise standards are set for all. You can legally make a Volt sound like a Mustang, so if you had been driving a Volt, I'ld say he was wrong.

Problem is, most Mustang GTs already are some of the loudest cars in OEM form and without a decibel meter and a print out of the federal noise levels set for manufacturers ..... hard to say.

In 2009 I bought my '07 FX4 before retiring (31+ years as Trooper) and it already had a cat-back FlowMaster dual outlet system. I told the wife when we test drove it that I needed to tone it down, and the first week before I'ld drive it anywhere locally (even after another buddy who is still a Trooper said it sounded OK to him as is when I brought him by the house to show it) .... I bought a long red 2.5" core glass pack, painted it grey, added a short extension pipe, and inserted it in line ahead of the FM in place of a 30" straight factory 2.5" pipe, now my '07 FX4 sounds almost exactly like a buddies (he was a Trooper too, went to feds) '99 Mustang Cobra that's stock, and much like our '08 GT that's stock.

No question, the '07 FX4 is now still louder than it was stock, but it is not louder than "private passenger motor vehicles or trucks of standard make" as highlighted above, thus it is legal now.

For more reading enjoyment ....
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...cod+TOC4602000

He's back!

Last edited by tbear853; 03-25-2014 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:51 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

That cop was having a BAD day. I have been pulled over because of my loud exhaust, but the exhaust only drew the attention of the cops. It was my excessive acceleration and high rate of speed that led to me getting pulled over. lol.

Enjoy the exhaust, and your car. If it happens again, then maybe reconsider but it is very unlikely. Also, I would check local ordinances. There is usually an actual decibel level maximum in order to get a ticket. "Louder" seems way too vague and subjective like you said, especially for a lawyer to write a law like that. There also may be a law about vehicle modifications. Just tell them that it is a "Roush factory option".
Old 03-25-2014, 11:31 AM
jesse1125
2nd Gear Member

Go to the police dept and ask the chief to hear it. If he thinks it's ok then have him put it in writing so if any of his officers pull you over you can show then the letter from the chief.

Quick Reply: Roush Exhaust - Too Loud??