Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Were tires switched on new 2014 GT w/Track Pack?

Old 03-29-2014, 03:30 PM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

Default Were tires switched on new 2014 GT w/Track Pack?

Hi All,

I just traded my 2012 GT Premium automatic for a 2014 GT Premium 6-spd with GT Track Package. This came with Brembos. It was a dealer trade from a dealer about 80 miles away,

I picked it up yesterday but just noticed today that it came with Goodyear F1 255/40/19 tires instead of Pirelli Pzero 255/40/19. The picture of the car on the original dealer site clearly showed Pirelli Pzeros on the car - as I have had on all my previous GTs with 19" tires.

Is this a big deal? Is there a big difference in tire quality? I don't know anything about tires.

Wondering what happened here... Could the dealer have switched tires for some reason? If so, what should I do?

Thanks for any help/feedback!

btw - just called the dealer I purchased from but they have not called me back.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:40 PM
tobaGT

This is the second posting like this I've seen in the last two days on various forums. I always thought the 'verts got Goodyears, the coupes got Pirelli's. I personally prefer Pirelli's in general for their road feel and light weight compared to other brands, but I believe the Eagle F1's are ultimately a stickier tire.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:53 PM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tobaGT
This is the second posting like this I've seen in the last two days on various forums. I always thought the 'verts got Goodyears, the coupes got Pirelli's. I personally prefer Pirelli's in general for their road feel and light weight compared to other brands, but I believe the Eagle F1's are ultimately a stickier tire.
Interesting... Like I said am not a tire expert - just noticed this today after picking up the car last night. Live in S. Florida and have always had Pirellis on my GTs - all new. The pics of the actual car showed Pirellis. I will check the window sticker.

I am just wondering if the tires were switched during the dealer trade and why... if I should make a deal of this... Are they comparable? Again - this is a 2014 GT Track Package with Brembos.

Thanks!

Last edited by rogan01; 03-29-2014 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:14 PM
bryan67
2nd Gear Member

yea dealers do tire swaps all the time.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:38 PM
tobaGT

Originally Posted by rogan01
Interesting... Like I said am not a tire expert - just noticed this today after picking up the car last night. Live in S. Florida and have always had Pirellis on my GTs - all new. The pics of the actual car showed Pirellis. I will check the window sticker.

I am just wondering if the tires were switched during the dealer trade and why... if I should make a deal of this... Are they comparable? Again - this is a 2014 GT Track Package with Brembos.

Thanks!
I don't think that's the case. The other thread I saw on another forum, the car was factory ordered and the guy watched it come off the truck at his dealer. It wasn't a track pack, but it was a Brembo brake upgrade package, which gets the same wheels/tires as the track pack. Eagle F1's. I'm wondering if they had a shortage on the Pirelli's. The Ford configurator just lists the tire SIZE on the details page for the Brembo and Track packs, it doesn't specify a brand.

That said, it's possible that the dealer it was traded from had a customer that didn't like the wheels on his 'vert and the dealer swapped them for a coupe's. According to TireRack the OE tire for the 'vert is the Eagle F1.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:30 PM
TheDivaDanielle
3rd Gear Member

prolly just short on tires.

The Goodyears were awesome and super sticky tires. I think they're better than the Pirelli's in my opinion.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:11 PM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

Thanks everyone. Sounds like this may be common and not a big deal as it appears the tires are comparable. Greatly appreciate all the kind help and feedback. Going to enjoy this car! Will update my Sig pic when I get a chance.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:58 AM
jRaskell
2nd Gear Member

The Pirelli's are an all-season tire. The Goodyear's are a summer only tire.

Me personally, I couldn't wait to get rid of the Pirelli's. They're ok for an all-season tire, but from a performance perspective, they don't hold a candle to a decent summer tire.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:37 PM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
prolly just short on tires.

The Goodyears were awesome and super sticky tires. I think they're better than the Pirelli's in my opinion.
Totally agree. I hated the Pirelli's and couldn't wait to replace them. So, I burned them up after 14k miles. Dealers will swap tires. No big deal. You probably have a better tire now.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:04 PM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the feedback.

The Pirelli P Zeros (255/40/19ZR) are about $80 per tire more ($320 for 4) on Tire Rack than the same size Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar.

Any idea why that is?

Anyone know what the speed ratings are and if they are the same? Can't seem to find them - just probably don't know where to look...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Were tires switched on new 2014 GT w/Track Pack?