Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Mustang GT engine ticking / tapping

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 10:59 PM
Carcrazycorey1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Budman2K
That sucks, sorry to hear about your car. After reading your thread, I would say I got real lucky. I was going to drive it to work Friday and look at it on Saturday, but ended up calling off work due to a family emergency. Did the dealer ever say what was the initial cause of the failure? Btw, mine has 132k on the clock, sucks I have to use it for work.
It's all good, I'm actually glad it happened now and not a year later when my warranty expired. The dealer and warranty company has been working really well with me to get my car back to me and I should have it by the end of the week if all goes well. And I made the mistake of driving it one for day to work, and it ended up being a bad choice as you can tell haha. And they said that it was most likely a collapsed lifter that caused to valve to collide with the piston, shattering it, and cracking the block. Likely due to poor maintenance by the previous owner, and the oil passages got blocked with sludge and ran the lifter dry and everything just went downhill from there. They said the lobe was really worn like yours is, and that there was no oil getting to that lifter which scorched everything in contact. My engine was just about to hit 109k when it went down. But now I'll have a brand new factory engine with a three year warranty with it.

I hope all goes well for you guys, but for everyone else that is experiencing this sound, park the car immediately until you can pull the valve covers off and inspect for damage. You don't want to be out an entire engine like me.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:47 AM
ZERO4572003
1st Gear Member

I got around 80,000 miles on my car I hope mine is not to messed up don't really much money to throw around and it sucks seeing it just sit there right after I got new tires on it lol.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:33 PM
Carcrazycorey1
2nd Gear Member

you're probably going to want new lifters, followers, rocker arms and maybe new cams if the lobes are worn. I would check your plugs first and make sure they're tight at 25 ft lbs before you go tearing into it.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:32 AM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Let me know how this all works out. Mine is making the exact same noise. I didn't want to have to replace parts before I got home in September but I may have to do it. The background on mine is that I've been in Korea for six months and the car has been sitting at my parents who only drive it once a month. Not sure if that has anything to do with it, but this only started happening when I went back and fired it up on vacation last week.

The real question is, why is it not getting oil?
Old 04-08-2014, 11:05 PM
ZERO4572003
1st Gear Member

I had noticed oil around my head gasket after looking around dunno if that has anything to do about the problem ?
Old 04-08-2014, 11:10 PM
Budman2K
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CMcNam
Let me know how this all works out. Mine is making the exact same noise. I didn't want to have to replace parts before I got home in September but I may have to do it. The background on mine is that I've been in Korea for six months and the car has been sitting at my parents who only drive it once a month. Not sure if that has anything to do with it, but this only started happening when I went back and fired it up on vacation last week.

The real question is, why is it not getting oil?
I am thinking it was due to a failed lifter. The weird thing is by the time I heard it and knew there was a problem, the damage was done. I guess it took time for the lobe of the cam to wear down to allow slop on the follower before it started alerting me. My parts are scheduled to be delivered on Thursday, and I will do the install on Saturday. I will post an update as well as any other findings.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:18 PM
Budman2K
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ZERO4572003
I had noticed oil around my head gasket after looking around dunno if that has anything to do about the problem ?
Not sure, is there any seeping of the cam cover that could have settled there?
Old 04-12-2014, 12:00 PM
Budman2K
1st Gear Member

So, my Hot rod cams and bolts have been delivered. I also picked up the new follower and lash adjuster. I took out the cam today and when I looked at the bearing caps and surfaces of the cam, I got a sick feeling in my stomach. I am not sure what they are supposed to look like at 132k miles. Not sure where to go from here with just under $800 in parts sitting in front of me. Btw, the adjuster seems to be functioning as intended, pretty sure it was caused by the follower bearing failing. In fact, there is no bearing left in the roller. Here are some pics, any advice greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Budman2K; 04-12-2014 at 12:10 PM.
Old 04-12-2014, 01:20 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I think the groved/scored caps are normal. email the pics to one of the mustang shops and see what they say. I'm sure brenspeed would be happy to give you their opinion or whomever you got the cams from.
Old 04-13-2014, 02:09 PM
Carcrazycorey1
2nd Gear Member

Those don't look good... My cams looked great with 109k except for the one lobe on one of the intake valves on cylinder 4. Your cam lobes should NOT be scored like that and your rocker arms shouldn't be that dark. Mine looked like that and as you see in my thread, didn't end well. From what the techs told me you shouldn't have any scoring or scuffs on the lobes, so id definitely go about replacing the cams and any of the rocker arms and caps that look dark or damaged.

Quick Reply: 2006 Mustang GT engine ticking / tapping