2008 Mustang Factory HID's - MustangForums.com

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

2005 - 2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

2008 Mustang Factory HID's

Old 04-06-2014, 07:05 PM   #1
avalanche1962

Vehicle: 2008, ford, mustang gt
Default 2008 Mustang Factory HID's

Can someone tell me if they have had this problem with their HID's? I have factory HID's and when I turn them on they come on bright and them dim down. They never get any brighter after the dim down. and you cant see hardly anything with them on. I know this cant be right. HID's are supposed to be the best lights out there. Can some one tell me what the problem may be?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
avalanche1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:38 PM   #2
TheDivaDanielle
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: In Progress

that's the way HIDs are. When they first come on for that moment they are stupidly bright. Then they usually appear fairly blue, then settle down to regular white.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:41 AM   #3
avalanche1962

Ok.. I just thought the actual brightness on the road would be a lot better than it is. Its very difficult to see at night. Doesn't seem to light up the road like I thought it should.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:28 AM   #4
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 GT Premium

I think what you're seeing when you first turn them on is the high beam pattern. There is some sort of shutter mechanism that switches the pattern between high and low rather than a separate bulb or separate filament that gets turned on independently, and this shutter takes a moment to move to the low beam position. Also, the color of HID illumination tends to be a little too far away from where your eyes are most sensitive (too "blue" vs kind of yellowish, or 6k vs 4k for the brighter halogens).

There are a couple of things you can do to get more useful forward lighting with the OE HIDs. One is to stagger the headlight aim with the passenger side headlight aimed just a little higher than the left. This lets each headlight do a better job of filling in any dark regions of the other. Plan on experimenting a little so you don't get the pattern too high (particularly on the driver side), but this should not take very many tries. The other thing is to run the fog lights as well, which gives you better close-in illumination. If those aren't aimed too high either, most traffic doesn't seem to care.

I have the HIDs in my 2008.

Norm

'10 Legacy 2.5GT, 6M (hers) . . . '01 Maxima 20AE, 5M (spare, winter driver)
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:40 PM   #5
avalanche1962

thanks very much for the info everyone.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:40 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement