Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sync Applink and Pandora connectivity problem in 2014 GT

Old 04-06-2014, 02:52 PM
glo106

Default Sync Applink and Pandora connectivity problem in 2014 GT

Hi all,

I recently upgraded my cell phone data plan and no longer have to worry about conserving my data each month so I started using Pandora through Applink. Bluetooth connection from my Android phone to the Mustang has never been an issue. However, when I run Pandora, initially it has no problems connecting and will start playing a station right away but then when a song ends, I always get the message that Pandora is unable to connect. Once I unlock my phone (like most people, my cell phone is password protected for work and personal reasons), it magically starts playing the next song. Then when that song ends, the connectivity problem happens again and the only way to get it starting again is to once again unlock my phone, which is not exactly safe if I'm driving along and trying to be a safe driver by not fiddling with the phone. Previously when I would run Pandora through the regular app and play it through Bluetooth, there were no connectivity problems. Anyone else have this issue with Sync Applink and Pandora or have a solution? I love being able to control it through the center console.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:22 PM
TheDivaDanielle
3rd Gear Member

stock ROM on the phone? I had this issue with wakelocks on a build of Cyanogenmod.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:05 PM
glo106

My phone is a rooted HTC One running a custom ROM called ViperOne with the latest Android build. Maybe it's an issue with custom ROMs. Did you ever find a solution?
Old 04-06-2014, 04:34 PM
TheDivaDanielle
3rd Gear Member

I think it was resolved at the time with me rolling back to a previous version. It was right when they were transitioning from 4.2 to 4.3

I'm now using a Nexus 5, and since it's already clean AOSP straight from Google I'm using a stock based ROM on 4.4.2

I'd check XDA. I know for sure though I can say that I have had random (similar) issues with Slacker Radio and Applink. None with Pandora in ages though.

It sounds like you may have something with it's wakelock or power save settings (either throttling down the processors or switching off LTE). On XDA it says it's running a "stock" kernel, yet it says it's got CM tweaks and others, so I'm willing to bet it's really not stock, and has stuff coded in there, especially after reading the changelog.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:46 PM
glo106

Thanks, DivaD! Great to get advice from someone else who has experience with running a custom ROM. I searched the ViperOne thread at xda as you suggested and am gonna try out one person's suggestion over there; the advice is to change the power save setting (also as you suggested might be the issue). Hopefully it works because I love Pandora through Applink. While I do love clean AOSP, there are features of the HTC Sense software that I can't bring myself to give up. Otherwise, I'd jump on the Nexus 5 too.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:50 PM
TheDivaDanielle
3rd Gear Member

I hate Sense. (unless it got better) Had multiple HTC phones in the past.

I had a Note 2, and have a Note 3 now as a work phone, love the features of Touchwiz, hate the UI.

I have loved the features of overlays but always hated the UI that it did to the back end.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:03 PM
glo106

Rats, ticking off the Power Save feature did nothing. It seems to be an issue with the data connection. When I ran Pandora through Applink using my home wireless internet, everything worked perfectly from one song to the next. Then toggling wifi off and using LTE, back to the same issue--have to unlock the screen to get the next song to play.

I think it's love or hate with Sense. The number one thing I love about it (a bit superficial, but it's true), is the big flip clock and weather display. This is my third HTC. Previously had the One X, but it was stolen. Prior to that, the Galaxy S3. Also, like you, didn't love the UI. I'm probably gonna stick with the One for a while.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:23 PM
TheDivaDanielle
3rd Gear Member

You can immediately do away with the flip clock/weather display by using Beautiful Widgets.

I've been using that on EVERY phone since my HTC Hero

This is how I've personally setup my phone........

I make major use of widgets and gesture controls.
one finger flick up is the app drawer, two up brings up the phone
one down brings up the browser, etc. Pretty much no matter what phone i use now, I sort of setup the front end UI to look like this.

It's really time consuming to set it up though exactly how I want like that. The backgrounds switch per screen and change every hour.

I had my Note 2 setup like this, the Nexus is now, and I started to setup the Note 3 like this, but it takes so much time with creating custom widgets and stuff. For example I show the page with the different groupings like "Music and Audio" and when you click on them it opens up a drop down that's like a folder showing what's in that group.

I use Apex Launcher along with Xposed Installer and various DPI changes after that.

Weather/Time screen is Beautiful Widgets up top with Fancy Widgets on the bottom for the future forecast. clicking on the future forecast opens up Accuweather.

Last edited by TheDivaDanielle; 04-06-2014 at 05:27 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:46 PM
glo106

Nice use of your custom ROM. Clearly I need to take more advantage of gestures for improved efficiency. If Beautiful Widgets had a clock display just like the HTC flip clock, I would probably switch over to an AOSP ROM already. I don't know why I love the flip clock so much.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:03 PM
TheDivaDanielle
3rd Gear Member

they do. I just use that one because I was going for a certain look. :-)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sync Applink and Pandora connectivity problem in 2014 GT