Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Exhaust Combination

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 06:59 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

It isn't the reduction in backpressure per se that matters, it's if you achieve those reductions by slowing down the exhaust gas velocity in the pipes too far. There's a difference.

Norm
Old 04-12-2014, 08:03 PM
Stang-aholic
4th Gear Member

i know that they dont make them for the 3.7, but... the absolute best mufflers I have ever heard on a 6 are the FRPP KR mufflers. I did a lot of research and heard a lot of different combos through track and carshow meets, and finally I went with these (and an FRPP X)... No drone, mild rumble in car, not too loud inside, but outside it sounds so mean and so loud. At redline I drove past my friend under an overpass and he said it was unbearably loud and mean sounding.

Having said that I wish i could hear them on a 3.7, but since there are none that fit.. your best resource is YouTube by FAR! and dont listen to the videos on laptop speakers, try and plug your PC into surround sound system, it will open up a whole different experience to what the cars ACTUALLY sound like.

PS Ive never been a fan of magnaflows (every car ive been in with them drone like a ****) and raspy at high RPMs.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:25 AM
RenGen
Banned

I honestly Love my stock exhaust just the way it is. I was debating getting an axle back, but I don't think I will.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:16 PM
billyb_at_borla
Former Sponsor

Hi Musty

Our BORLA exhaust systems are more often than not praised for steady horsepower and torque gains while providing a deep and low rumble that can be heard coming from afar. That being said, we usually don't invest in systems that are just obnoxiously loud like a straight pipe kit - we spend months on research and development and work directly with manufacturers and world famous tuners to make sure we get the best product we can to our very satisfied customers. Like some of the Mustang drivers here who have their concerns for drone, low quality, and loss of power on the low end - we also have a defining need to make sure our exhaust systems have none of these flaws and faults. A combination of headers, cats, and mufflers can generate a combination of sounds and various power gains or losses, in the end - its up to you to decide on the factors most important to yourself when choosing. Ask around, and people will tell you our customer service is the best and backed by our million mile warranty - easy to do when you have a great product. We also have many youtube videos that can help you understand and appreciate the things we generate here at Borla. I highly suggest you watch more of them and see for yourself if you can't envision your Mustang with our system on it
Old 04-14-2014, 08:00 PM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

Just from my own personal experience and oppion. I would go with some quality shorty headers your stock midpipe with stock cafs and a good axle back. Now the axle back is your choice. just get the tone you want with the axleback and the Shorty's should intensify that affect. The stock cats might cost you a few ponies but will keep you on the right side of the law and keep some of that raspy scream of a 6er down
Old 04-15-2014, 07:27 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

As long as there aren't any loose bits vibrating inside the mufflers, sixxer exhaust notes are actually kind of nice - they say "I'm different" without having to be in-your-face obnoxious about it. Two of the cars in my sig are sixxers, neither one has an OE exhaust from the axle back any more, and they both can play a pretty sweet tune as you're running up and down through the gears (both are MT, if that matters).

Norm
Old 04-15-2014, 03:45 PM
RetiredSFC 97
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BKamp613
While not a full setup, the Borla S-Type axlebacks are great. Not too loud, but others will know you're coming. No interior drone at all and relatively quiet while cruising. AM will price match so shop around for the best price. They have the best CS IMO so I bought mine from them.

Not my car but this is one video that helped me decide: http://youtube.com/watch?v=HSW_GFG0GTU

Others have gone Roush axleback and added resonators. Too raspy/poppy for my taste.
That sounds pretty good.