Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help or advice beyond pissed

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 04:48 PM
oscar2005gt

Default need help or advice beyond pissed

Hi guys im new to forums I dont know where to start a few weeks ago my car overheated I had my 15 month old baby girl and that day it was hot I had the windows cracked as always I like to enjoy the wind rather than ac so I go down the road about a mile from my house theres people working on the road a line of 20 cars before me so I rolled my windows up and turned my ac on I waited about 15 minutes so I could go I drove about 3 miles and my temp gauge almost at the red I started freaking out because that day was hot I have no cell phone I have my daughter with me so I pulled over open my hood hoping and praying nothing its damaged so I waited 30 mins I drove to autozone they cant tell me what it is so I called a mechanic he checked it right there he unplugged top radiator hose asked me to cranck the car I was believing I had a bad water pump he said theres too much pressure in the cooling system? I dont know much about fixing cars only simple stuff so he took the car to the shop calls me two days later he did a compression test and he said theres a leak on one of the cylinders so he is going to put new head gaskets.i got my car back I havent really had time to test for a week I have been working crazy hours its finally saturday yay I can drive for a while well drove for about 45 mins 60 mph the highest since I have two kids and theyre with me temp gauge almost at the red. Im calling mechanic I really want my car fix I hate having to ask for rides please any help will be much appreciated thanks in advance.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:13 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

he's probably right that it's a head gasket. When the gasket fails between the cylinder and one of the water passages, combustion gases can be forced into the cooling system which heats it up tremendously. don't keep driving it, get it fixed ASAP or you'll make it worse. getting a head gasket replaced is a lot cheaper than having to replace a warped head.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:36 PM
oscar2005gt

Thanks jz he replaced headgaskets as well timing chain he said the cooling fan and water pump are working perfect
Old 04-27-2014, 05:38 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

you're not being very clear here. You're saying he replaced the head gaskets and it still overheats?
Old 04-27-2014, 05:50 PM
oscar2005gt

Yes he did replaced head gaskets and got the heads resurfaced I know its strange for it to overheat I dont have any clue whats making it overheat thats why I open this thread im calling mechanic tomorrow
Old 04-27-2014, 06:07 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

first, the gauge on the dash is a poor way to tell if it's overheating. it's not an accurate temp gauge. if it were overheating and you indeed had to much pressure in the cooling system, then it should have blown the cap on the over flow tank. it will only holld a maximum of 15psi or so and you''ll hear it hissing. just because the cooling fan is spinning, that doesn't mean it's working right. it has a high and low speed setting. if high speed isn't working, then the car can over heat. many people have had problems with the cooling fan relay melting the bottom side of the fuse box that's under the hood. i'd have him check that the high speed fan is working.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:11 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

hows the thermostat? sounds like it should be checked or replaced especially since the heads and what not were off. sounds like its stuck either open or closed. if everything is working and there is too much pressure then the coolant is getting to hot by not circulating.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:47 PM
oscar2005gt

I agree with you bl817 I was thinking it was my water pump since I didnt see coolant moving much before I had the mechanic take a look I had a new tstat put on it gosh I just hope its something stupid that doesnt cost me a lot I already paid 1500 for the head gasket timing chain and new throttle
Old 04-27-2014, 08:55 PM
oscar2005gt

You are right Moosestang my volt meter stays on the 0 lol I bought some aftermarket gauges I just havent had time to install them wife work only on weekends and I work crazy hours so I probably have to take a whole day off i dont have a lot of knowledge I just do oil changes on my vehicles thats about it
Old 04-28-2014, 08:23 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

The 2005's and early '06s have chronic issues with the stepper motors in the gauges. Sorry to hear you spent a lot of hard-earned $$ and still have issues.

Quick Reply: need help or advice beyond pissed