Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Wheels, New Tires, Car Still Shakes (F**king Pissed)

Old 04-27-2014, 06:02 PM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz78817
'k, wait. you have aftermarket rotors, studs, and wheels. how are the wheels centered? Are they hub centered (flat lug nuts) or stud centered (tapered lug nuts?) Do the wheels have spacers on your car?
Tapered. To be honest, I didn't even think about that. No, they never got spacers. Does this mean the weight of my car is potentially on my lugs right now?
Old 04-27-2014, 06:56 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by whosniffedme
Well my power steering fluid is on point, I don't know if it's ever been flushed however as I haven't owned the car it's entire lifespan. When I get the thing on a lift tomorrow I'll check the motor mounts and transmission mounts. What can I do to check and see if it has something to do with the steering rack?

Also, if my pump was out wouldn't I just have no power steering? My old Mustang was like that I actually kind of liked it hahaha
The pump wouldn't give you much shaking, just noisy and hard to steer.
As far as checking the rack, it might be hard to do without the car in motion...
Also jz might be on something with aftermarket wheels if they're not centered by the hub, even if the lugs are tapered (which almost all of them are).
But all this would give you nasty vibration throughout the front end, not the left and right shake.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:39 PM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

do u have spigot rings?
u must have these things to make sure your wheels are perfectly centered
Old 04-28-2014, 08:22 AM
waykooljr
3rd Gear Member

These are the hub rings I've been using, Hub Centric Rings

I used the plastic for a set of wheels, they worked fine for a long time. I splurged on the aluminum for my current wheels.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:49 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

metal are best..gonna get myself some made very soon..without them your looking for trouble imho..the nuts are only there to hold the wheel on..
Old 04-29-2014, 10:10 AM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Well I was supposed to take it to a shop this morning but I have work and don't want to be exhausted all day, so I'll give it to them for the day next Monday. I don't know how great they are but they're the highest rated on Yelp so I guess that's something.

So the lack of hub rings would only cause vibration in the front?
Old 04-29-2014, 11:45 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

no hub rings means your wheels will not be 100% perfect on the hubs..plus it's dangerous..
mine was kinda nasty without em...
dude this has to be the first thing you do..my first mustang i bought had no hub rings and shuddered badly..rings cured all the problems
Old 04-29-2014, 04:27 PM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

Like Pascal said - if the wheels were off-center, it would shudder/vibrate all the time, not just when turning.
Forgestars are made with something like .005 tolerance to the hub size. You do not need spigot rings with them, they aren't junky chinese-made wheels.

I would put the stock rotors back on and see if it makes any difference.

Last edited by jpplaw; 04-29-2014 at 04:33 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:13 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by whosniffedme
Well I was supposed to take it to a shop this morning but I have work and don't want to be exhausted all day, so I'll give it to them for the day next Monday. I don't know how great they are but they're the highest rated on Yelp so I guess that's something.

So the lack of hub rings would only cause vibration in the front?
OK, everyone has come up with good input for you but we need to narrow it down if possible.
What kind of vibration do you have actually?
-Is it a constant parasitic thing throughout the car?
-Is it under braking mostly?
-Is it at a certain speed only, without touching the brakes?
-Is it like a fast rocking vibration from left to right to the steering wheel and ONLY, the steering wheel... again, at a particular speed?

The last two scenarios are mostly steering rack symptoms.
Other than that, you have to trace back what you did since stock set up.
The hub rings (or lack thereof) are a major concern if your rims aren't against your hub like the factory intended so.
If you think that the lug studs by themselves are good enough to center the rim perfectly, you're sadly mistaken.
Don't fall in that trap because you'll replace/alter all kinds of things to no avail and it seems that you already went down that path to some extend...
Old 04-29-2014, 11:13 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Make sure your old wheels didnt have hub centric rings that are still on your car. IMO dont run them unless your wheels came with them. I left them on my car from a previous wheel that had them and had bad vibes. Took them off and it was perfect.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Wheels, New Tires, Car Still Shakes (F**king Pissed)