Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Wheels, New Tires, Car Still Shakes (F**king Pissed)

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 04:04 PM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by whosniffedme
Thank you sir, but yes the rear of my car did take a hit but everything that was damaged was replaced (axles, panhard, wheels). My car actually ran smoother with a bent axle than it does now.
Fortunately I have the next couple days off so I can take it places. It's been very hectic this week I just finalized a house yesterday and I'm about to have to work 10 days in a row so I'm gonna use this time while I got it.
Dude you are a hard working MF'er. Congrats on the house. And if you need suspension parts let me know....I still have all my stock parts. Not sure if they are backwards compatible. But if they are and you need to do a process of elimination on to journey towards finding your fix....let me know. Other wise when I get my kids an older S197 beater...the parts I have will likely be used in that.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:59 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

How many weights did they have to use to balance the wheels? I had a similar issue.... took it to a Dobbs and the dude packed a ton of weights (double stacked) on 2 of the wheels. He said they were hard to balance and asked where I got them. The were brand spanking new OEM wheels, lol.

Then took it to someone else.. someone that knows what they are doing... and it took him about 20 min and less than half of the weights. He just spun the tire on the wheel until the balance was right. He said a lot of these tire places dont do that and will just keep slapping on weights and call it a day. He had a RFB.. and expected to have to use it.. but the simple fix worked.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:12 AM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Got a road force balance, jesus what a difference that made. Also had some hub rings installed; I still have a little shakiness at speed but it's nothing to worry about, I think once I change out the LCAs the car will run amazingly. Thanks for all the help guys, turns out a good balance makes the difference. Let's hope it holds up.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:10 AM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by whosniffedme
Got a road force balance, jesus what a difference that made. Also had some hub rings installed; I still have a little shakiness at speed but it's nothing to worry about, I think once I change out the LCAs the car will run amazingly. Thanks for all the help guys, turns out a good balance makes the difference. Let's hope it holds up.
Glad you got it sorted out. Do you have a local mustang forum? That's where I found my guy. After letting Dobbs molest my car..and insisting the wheels were balanced, I posted in my local forum. One member is a great mechanic at a local firestone, and resolved my issue right away. It's scary and frustrating how helpless we are with mechanics. Finding a good one you can trust is like finding gold. So many people get screwed by hacks who have no business working on cars. I can't even trust quickie oil changes for my wife's beater...a simple thing like an oil change...and people manage to screw it up.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:41 AM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

might want to have the front hubs checked
Old 05-08-2014, 01:42 PM
chain1
4th Gear Member

OP, sorry I can't help but I just thought I'd mention that I saw you driving around campus this morning. Small world.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:40 AM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Update:

So about 2 and a half weeks later the shake comes back in full force. I took it back to Discount and had them balance the wheels again, and the problem was resolved. It seems my car is losing balance rather quickly. What would cause this? Tire spinning around the wheel?
Old 06-02-2014, 07:47 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

have u hade the toe checked on the steering?
mine still had a tiny wheel shake untill i had it checked.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:12 AM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

It takes an awful lot to spin a tire on a wheel if it is inflated properly. Mark the tire and rim and watch it. Is the wheel loosing weights?
Old 06-02-2014, 10:48 AM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

The toe is good, I got an alignment a month ago. As far as the tire spinning, I'll mark it and see what happens. The weights aren't falling off though, also Discount was nice enough to completely remount all the tires. Like I said after the balance it completely eliminates the problem.

Quick Reply: New Wheels, New Tires, Car Still Shakes (F**king Pissed)