Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

2005 - 2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by Latemodel Restoration

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 04-29-2014, 09:02 PM   #1
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 mustang gt
Default changing pinion seal, what size socket?

i tried goggling it and I see two different answers? Is it 1 1/8 inch or 1 1/16?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!

whipple HO SC,FRPP k springs, Pypes mid mufflers, hurst, frpp TB, 4.10's, spohn lca's, adj. UCA, relo brackets, 1 piece DS, spec stg 3+ clutch. 12.52@117.6mph so far with a 2.01 60 ft time

Pumpkin jacking addict
moosestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:57 PM   #2
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosestang View Post
i tried goggling it and I see two different answers? Is it 1 1/8 inch or 1 1/16?
I'm not sure which it is ..... yet ..... but it looks like I will know pretty soon.

My '08 is leaking just a hair there as well, seems to be a common malady some how? I have a '01 Mercury GM and '92 and '95 Thunderbirds all with 8.8 rears and not a drop but this '08 Mustangs is leaking.

tbear853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:26 AM   #3
moosestang
6th Gear Member

It's looking like 27mm or 1 1/16 is correct. I might have both, I know I have 1 1/8.

whipple HO SC,FRPP k springs, Pypes mid mufflers, hurst, frpp TB, 4.10's, spohn lca's, adj. UCA, relo brackets, 1 piece DS, spec stg 3+ clutch. 12.52@117.6mph so far with a 2.01 60 ft time

Pumpkin jacking addict
Old 04-30-2014, 08:59 AM   #4
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 08 Ford Mustang GT
DLAzrael43 DLAzrael
Send a message via AIM to dlazrael Send a message via Yahoo to dlazrael

it's a big ****... had to get one from the hobby shop when I put the Alum D/S flange on lol
Go Fast Parts: 2.3L W140AX FRPP Whipple 550 HO Supercharger, PCV Delete, Pypes Violators Axleback, MAC Prochamber, FRPP 62mm Polished TB
Suspension: Steeda: Front/Rear Sways, Sport Springs, Pro-Action S/S, Chromoly LCA, Chromoly UCA, GT500 Strut Mounts
Driveline:Steeda Tri-Ax, DSS 4" Aluminum DS
Show:GT500 Spoiler, GT500 Chinstrap (awaiting install), GTS-IV Hood
dlazrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:01 PM   #5
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Well I had to spend the first half of the day at the dentist, so it looks like Friday I will start on it. I probably need to remove my mid mufflers to give me enough leverage room to get the pinion nut off, so this will give me all day Saturday to finish up.

Got a 27mm socket from lowes for $7. bottle of white out from CVS for $2.99 to mark everything. I'm going to count turns and put the nut back on just how it came off.

I had to get the pinion seal from ford, discount auto told me it was dealer only.

My leak was most likely cause by my clogged vent. The vent would puke oil and my dirt road would stick to it like glue. I'm going to pull the vent and see if I can't rip the top cap off and install a length of hose.

Pumpkin jacking addict

Last edited by moosestang; 04-30-2014 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:21 PM   #6
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 08 Ford Mustang GT
DLAzrael43 DLAzrael
Send a message via AIM to dlazrael Send a message via Yahoo to dlazrael

Impact gun makes the removal MUCH MUCH easier
Go Fast Parts: 2.3L W140AX FRPP Whipple 550 HO Supercharger, PCV Delete, Pypes Violators Axleback, MAC Prochamber, FRPP 62mm Polished TB
Suspension: Steeda: Front/Rear Sways, Sport Springs, Pro-Action S/S, Chromoly LCA, Chromoly UCA, GT500 Strut Mounts
Driveline:Steeda Tri-Ax, DSS 4" Aluminum DS
Show:GT500 Spoiler, GT500 Chinstrap (awaiting install), GTS-IV Hood
dlazrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:21 PM   #7
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlazrael View Post
Impact gun makes the removal MUCH MUCH easier
If I had one, then I might use it. still wouldn't want to use it to tighten it back. It'd be to easy to go past the original spot.

Pumpkin jacking addict
Old 04-30-2014, 10:19 PM   #8
Carcrazycorey1
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosestang View Post
Well I had to spend the first half of the day at the dentist, so it looks like Friday I will start on it. I probably need to remove my mid mufflers to give me enough leverage room to get the pinion nut off, so this will give me all day Saturday to finish up.

Got a 27mm socket from lowes for $7. bottle of white out from CVS for $2.99 to mark everything. I'm going to count turns and put the nut back on just how it came off.

I had to get the pinion seal from ford, discount auto told me it was dealer only.

My leak was most likely cause by my clogged vent. The vent would puke oil and my dirt road would stick to it like glue. I'm going to pull the vent and see if I can't rip the top cap off and install a length of hose.
Which advance did you go to? I work at one in Gainesville and I know for sure we have them because I just recently looked up how much one is at work because my 05 GT leaks a little from the pinion seal too.
2005 Mustang GT. K&N CAI, Pypes O/R X-Pipe, Corsa Axle-Back, SCT SF3/X3 Tuner with 93 Race Tune loaded, SR Lowering springs, BMR LCA's, 10" RE Audio SEX10D4 Subwoofer with Hifonics Brutus BRX1100.1 Mono Amp in a ported 1.10 cf^3 box.
2011 Yamaha FZ6R. Two-Brothers Black Series full exhaust, Fender eliminator, bar end mirrors, 6000k HID, Michelin Pilot Road 3 tires.
Carcrazycorey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:37 AM   #9
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 06 GT Legend Lime and 1967 CP

Quick question? I just had my pinyon seal replaced last month, maybe due to lowering and or the vent clogged, I also lived on a dirt road till a few weeks ago. Can you get to the vent from the outside of the axle, or have to come though the inside of the pumpkin axle housing? I know (if I remember correctly) it's a bout a foot over from the center diff on the passenger side. But I haven't been under there to inspect in a while or look at it closely, I want to clean this thing out ASAP! And also, if you haven't figured out the socket size I would just go to sears or ace hardware ect... And buy a few sizes and just return the ones you don't need, or return all of them when you done haha
drewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:21 PM   #10
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewsky View Post
Quick question? I just had my pinyon seal replaced last month, maybe due to lowering and or the vent clogged, I also lived on a dirt road till a few weeks ago. Can you get to the vent from the outside of the axle, or have to come though the inside of the pumpkin axle housing? I know (if I remember correctly) it's a bout a foot over from the center diff on the passenger side. But I haven't been under there to inspect in a while or look at it closely, I want to clean this thing out ASAP! And also, if you haven't figured out the socket size I would just go to sears or ace hardware ect... And buy a few sizes and just return the ones you don't need, or return all of them when you done haha
It just unscrews from the top of the axle tube. I think it's a 13mm wrench, maybe smaller. I took mine out before to make sure I could blow through it.

Pumpkin jacking addict
Old 05-01-2014, 03:21 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement