Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sync stinks!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 12:33 AM
Troponin
1st Gear Member

Default Sync stinks!

Been having issues with Sync since buying the car. The biggest problem is the delay whenever receiving or making a call, and when I try to use speak to text, it cuts off half of the first sentence because of the delay. I have been reading the manual, trying to get it all figured out, but I am beginning to think it's a horrible system. SOmetimes I miss calls because I can't even tell there is a call coming in.

The other obnoxious thing I am dealing with, which I hope someone can help me with, is when the phone rings, I try to answer it with Sync, and the call goes private so I have to grab my phone quick.

Then, today, my wife buys a new Yukon with Intellilink, which is GM's version. It's almost flawless and blows the Sync out of the water. Sync seems like 10 year old tech compared to Intellilink.

Ford really needs to improve this system. It's mediocre at best. It's not even remotely user friendly either.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:47 AM
Troponin
1st Gear Member

Just came across this. Ford is dropping MS from the Sync program because they arent doing as good of a job as they had expected. Too many issues and lack of usability.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1...lost-ford-sync
Old 05-04-2014, 02:20 AM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Sync was pretty rough for me too. The most frustrating problem was it would disconnect my phone (Samsung Galaxy S3) the moment a call would come in, then refuse to find my phone until I restarted bluetooth on the phone. Then I started trying other phones (iPhone 5, other Android phones) and noticed I didn't have Sync problems with those. Ultimately, it seems to have been a compatibility issue between the devices, or simply my phone's fault. Moved onto a LG Nexus 5 and all my Sync woes are in the past.

Last edited by SPARTAN VI; 05-04-2014 at 11:16 AM.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:37 AM
vixr
2nd Gear Member

There are sync software updates released now and then...I had to go to the sync website and download the program to a USB data sucker, plug it in the car, and that checks the sync system and advises you if there is a more current version and does some housekeeping functions. If you have a newer phone and older sync software it could be causing issues...just my 2 cents.

Last edited by vixr; 05-04-2014 at 08:40 AM.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:09 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Troponin
Just came across this. Ford is dropping MS from the Sync program because they arent doing as good of a job as they had expected. Too many issues and lack of usability.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1...lost-ford-sync
this is not even remotely accurate. The tech industry is misinterpreting the entire thing and you're jumping to conclusions.

besides, it could be an issue specific to your phone. Bluetooth is a mess of a standard, and weird bugs and incompatibilities crop up all the time.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:41 AM
Troponin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz78817
this is not even remotely accurate. The tech industry is misinterpreting the entire thing and you're jumping to conclusions.

besides, it could be an issue specific to your phone. Bluetooth is a mess of a standard, and weird bugs and incompatibilities crop up all the time.
Perhaps, but it worked beautifully in my wife's GMC.

Anyway, I'll try to update and see if that helps.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:32 PM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

I've used this system in my mom's Explorer and couldn't stand it, honestly to me it seemed dangerous how inaccessible it was, the UI is just not convenient for driving. Not to mention half the time it wouldn't sync up with my phone or it would just ignore it completely.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:19 PM
Troponin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by whosniffedme
I've used this system in my mom's Explorer and couldn't stand it, honestly to me it seemed dangerous how inaccessible it was, the UI is just not convenient for driving. Not to mention half the time it wouldn't sync up with my phone or it would just ignore it completely.
That's pretty much the same issues I am having. I end up picking pu the phone and answering it manually, THEN my sync tries to interfere!

So I registered my vehicle with Ford, and it's all up to date. Again, I am totally happy with my Mustang. It does everything I want, it's just making the cell phone unsafe to use. I thought it would be great because it's a MT, so talking and driving becomes REALLY unsafe, but sync makes it just as unsafe at times when I am confused as to what is happening; Is it answering? Did it even ring? I pick up, then it goes private, so I have to shuffle around for my phone to answer it etc.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:48 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

*shrug* I've never had issues in any car with SYNC using several different phones (Droid Incredible, HTC Trophy, BlackBerry 8900, iPhone 4S, HTC 8X.)
Old 05-04-2014, 09:25 PM
JimC

Haven't had any issues with Sync on my Mustang, my Mariner, or my wife's Lincoln.

Only thing is sometimes you have to figure out the pronunciation that Sync is looking for. Asking for directions to Milan, MI for example I couldn't pronounce it like we do here (My - Lan) and decided to try it like the Italian Mu - Lon and Sync accepted it.

Quick Reply: Sync stinks!