Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My mustang is about to crank over 100K miles....

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 04:55 PM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

How does a shift kit work and what kind of wheels do you have?

Last edited by LordRipberger; 05-19-2014 at 04:57 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:55 PM
allenmaty
1st Gear Member

I personally did the 'J-Mod' on my old 4R70W transmission in my '99 Crown Vic, it only cost me a few dollars and followed the write up on it, it was pretty straight forward. You basically open up a few holes in the valve body separator plate so the clutches engage faster. I did reverse, 1-2, and 2-3 shifts. You could also optionally remove the 1-2 and the 2-3 accumulator springs, but the shifts can get pretty harsh.
It was fun barking the tires in my crown vic when shifting! The 3.55 limited rear helped a bit too . My old vic is still on the road at ~220K miles with the original trans, my sister in law has it.
Back in the day I had a '73 Dodge Coronet with the 3 speed 727 torqueflite and she would bark those tires at 55mph 1-2 shift! Never had any issues with that trans either.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:17 AM
X3xMONGOOSEx3X
4th Gear Member

Stay safe man, and are you going after that 200K?
Old 05-20-2014, 06:33 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LordRipberger
I was speaking to an AM rep today about wheels and asked him about this at the end of the conversation to see what he would offer and he said to leave it and only change it if I start to have problems. I thought that was weird since I am not sure how changing the fluid at that point would fix a problem.
Keyword, AM rep.

The 4.0 is just getting broken in @ 100k!
Old 05-20-2014, 09:29 AM
allenmaty
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by X3xMONGOOSEx3X
Stay safe man, and are you going after that 200K?
I'm going to keep the mustang as long I possibly can!
Old 05-20-2014, 03:24 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by ThaiCobra
make sure with the sparkplugs that you go to a Ford dealer who will replace all spark plugs AND cover additional work that needs to be done if a sparkplug breaks.

I only had 60k on mine, and I had 2 sparkplugs break during the replacement process. It's very likely plugs will break on yours at 100k, when they go to take them out. If you take it in with someone who charges for the additional labor you could be out like $300 - $600.

Don't make the same mistake I did.

And fluids and belts like everyone else said for replacement.
That's only on a V8 4.6L engine, not the V6 AND shops that know about eth issues with the 4.6L plugs don't cover the additional labor if they break plugs. Any of the shops I've spoken with about it have been very up front about it and I think there are also some members here that have personal experience with a fugged up plugs from shops.

As for the tranny fluid changing. Every 30K per ford. Our tranny's are considered a lifetime sealed unit. The dealers use a Rotunda machine which flushes clean fluid through the system until it comes out the other end clean as well. It cleans the filter, all of the lines, the cooler, and also the converter.

ATF Can go bad, not just from overheating but also the amount of particulates present (metal, carbon, plastic/rubber shavings etc.) and just the wearing out of the detergents.

BTW overheating is considered anything over 225F for tranny fluid. Some spirited driving or stop/go traffic on a warm summer day will easily exceed that temp in the tranny fluid and reduce its life. At 225F (about 30K) tranny fluid life expectancy is halved from that of 200F (60K). At 250 the life expectancy is half of what it is at 225 (15K).
Old 05-20-2014, 04:42 PM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
That's only on a V8 4.6L engine, not the V6 AND shops that know about eth issues with the 4.6L plugs don't cover the additional labor if they break plugs. Any of the shops I've spoken with about it have been very up front about it and I think there are also some members here that have personal experience with a fugged up plugs from shops.

As for the tranny fluid changing. Every 30K per ford. Our tranny's are considered a lifetime sealed unit. The dealers use a Rotunda machine which flushes clean fluid through the system until it comes out the other end clean as well. It cleans the filter, all of the lines, the cooler, and also the converter.

ATF Can go bad, not just from overheating but also the amount of particulates present (metal, carbon, plastic/rubber shavings etc.) and just the wearing out of the detergents.

BTW overheating is considered anything over 225F for tranny fluid. Some spirited driving or stop/go traffic on a warm summer day will easily exceed that temp in the tranny fluid and reduce its life. At 225F (about 30K) tranny fluid life expectancy is halved from that of 200F (60K). At 250 the life expectancy is half of what it is at 225 (15K).
The every 30K mark is for transaxle vehicles I believe. From my manual, I change the transmission fluid once at 150K.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:47 PM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Where is the ATF filter? The manual doesn't have any routine replacements for a transmission fluid filter. Is it easy to get too without loosing a lot of transmission fluid?
Old 05-20-2014, 05:01 PM
allenmaty
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by LordRipberger
The every 30K mark is for transaxle vehicles I believe. From my manual, I change the transmission fluid once at 150K.
You misread that, it says change the transmission once every 150K

You have to take the pan off and it's right there. It is a messy job if you do it yourself. I personally don't trust those trans fluid change machines, if I do take it in, I request them to physically change the filter.
...And I always replace any fluid with full synthetic when possible (Mobil 1), I am a big believer in full synthetic oils.

Last edited by allenmaty; 05-20-2014 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:25 PM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

You may request it but how do you know they are doing it?

And they can replace the filter and without needing to add fluid?

Last edited by LordRipberger; 05-20-2014 at 05:28 PM.

Quick Reply: My mustang is about to crank over 100K miles....