Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering gone but not gone. Need help

Old 05-13-2014, 07:54 AM
iMuf
1st Gear Member

Default Power steering gone but not gone. Need help

Hey everyone, so I have a 2006 Mustang GT. I've had it for about 2 months and up until now everything has been great. This morning I went up to get some things to wash my car and as I was getting ready to leave the area where I live on to the main road I noticed my steering was hard to turn. So I thought maybe the power steering went out. So I drove it for a little bit and I can't tell if it's out or not. Let me see if I can explain what is going on. I'm going to be referring to spots on the steering wheel as a clock like people normally do, but just know that when I say a number I'm talking about a spot on the wheel clock wise so I don't have to say o'clock after every number lol.

The steering itself feels really "notchy". from about 12 over to about 1 and from 12 to about 11 the steering feels fine even if the car is at a stand still once you turn to the left more then 11 or so or to the right past 1 the steering gets pretty tough to turn. Once you get past that it becomes easy again until about 8 or 4. It's like that all the way around which is why I refer to the steering as being "notchy" but in between those notches the steering is normal.

The steering also doesn't come back by itself. For instants when you have normal steering when you make a turn the steering will come back around as the car straightens out. When I turn it will stay where it's at until I turn it back.

Now here is the last thing that I noticed, When I make a left turn the steering becomes really pretty hard to make a right turn and when I make a right turn it makes it really hard to turn to the left.

Could it be the power steering pump? or is there something else going on?
Old 05-13-2014, 07:56 AM
iMuf
1st Gear Member

One thing I forgot to add is that I don't hear or feel anything out of the ordinary. No vibrations, no odd sounds. It's only the steering that doesn't seem to be functioning the way it should. At least from what I can tell. Any help will be appreciated.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:18 PM
charliebrown266
4th Gear Member

sounds like it may be the u joint on the bottom of the steering shaft were it connects to the steering rack!
Old 05-14-2014, 06:01 AM
iMuf
1st Gear Member

if that's what it is would I have to replace the entire steering rack?
Old 05-14-2014, 06:21 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by charliebrown266
sounds like it may be the u joint on the bottom of the steering shaft were it connects to the steering rack!
I think he would have bigger problems if it was the U-joint.

OP, check your PS fluid because yeah it does sound like a bad pump.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:42 AM
iMuf
1st Gear Member

yea, fluid was good. That was the first thing I checked. Say it's the power steering pump. Do you guys recommend the ones from motorcraft or are the re manufactured ones from like o'rileys, advanced auto, or auto zone good as well? I don't want to be cheap but there is like a $50 difference. I could use that $50 for some more mods.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:04 PM
charliebrown266
4th Gear Member

the shaft that comes down from the steering wheel has a u joint were it goes into the steering rack! if the joint is bad the steering would feel normal the get stiff has you turned the wheel! The pump ether makes pressure or it doesn't!!!
Old 05-14-2014, 05:09 PM
charliebrown266
4th Gear Member

Default pump

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
I think he would have bigger problems if it was the U-joint.

OP, check your PS fluid because yeah it does sound like a bad pump.
If the steering gets stiff and then feels good has you turning the wheel and the fluid is full,the pump would not act like that unless the belt was slipping! the joint is a very small u joint,close to what would be on your drive shaft. this joint on the steering shaft is outside the car and do go bad!
Old 05-14-2014, 06:32 PM
iMuf
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by charliebrown266
If the steering gets stiff and then feels good has you turning the wheel and the fluid is full,the pump would not act like that unless the belt was slipping! the joint is a very small u joint,close to what would be on your drive shaft. this joint on the steering shaft is outside the car and do go bad!
Can you replace just the joint?
Old 05-14-2014, 07:50 PM
charliebrown266
4th Gear Member

i would have the car checked! you can buy the joint with the shaft

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power steering gone but not gone. Need help