Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 GT

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 07:28 PM
Rubicon
1st Gear Member

Default 2006 GT

OK, just bought a used automatic GT Convertible with only 20,000 miles on it.

Yes, it was owned by an old couple who traded it in for a new Audi A8.

Anyhow, this thing is completely stock and in beautiful shape.

As an FYI, I traded my 2002 V6 convertible. The previous owner of the 2002 put a cold air intake and a new exhaust deleting the cats. He gave me the Bama tuner. When I traded the car, I did not think the Audi dealer would need the Bama unit, so I kept it. So, can I use this tuner with my 2006 GT with an update to the tuner from Bama?

Since the 2006 models have been modded for awhile, what would be the first mod I should do. I was thinking just axle back and cold air? I'm not looking to get 1/4 mile ratings, I just want a little fun in the throttle

here is the car at the dealer
Attached Thumbnails 2006 GT-gt1.jpg  
Old 05-13-2014, 07:44 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Give AM or Brenspeed the model # of the tuner. I doubt it'll work on an '06 GT but who knows?

A stand-alone CAI (no tune) is useless on these cars; maybe 3-5 RWHP at best. A good custom tune alone adds about 15 or more RWHP and, with a good tune-required CAI, about 20-25 RWHP. Cat backs or axlebacks add nothing but improved exhasut note.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:30 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

A tune will really wake up the trans too. The stock trans shifts like a old slush box....with a tune it will chirp second and third gear!! Go for it dude.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:08 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Rubicon
OK, just bought a used automatic GT Convertible with only 20,000 miles on it.

Yes, it was owned by an old couple who traded it in for a new Audi A8.

Anyhow, this thing is completely stock and in beautiful shape.

As an FYI, I traded my 2002 V6 convertible. The previous owner of the 2002 put a cold air intake and a new exhaust deleting the cats. He gave me the Bama tuner. When I traded the car, I did not think the Audi dealer would need the Bama unit, so I kept it. So, can I use this tuner with my 2006 GT with an update to the tuner from Bama?

Since the 2006 models have been modded for awhile, what would be the first mod I should do. I was thinking just axle back and cold air? I'm not looking to get 1/4 mile ratings, I just want a little fun in the throttle

here is the car at the dealer
Congratulations on the new purchase, the car looks stunning! As someone who has owned an 06 GT, I can assure you, you will love it.

The Bama tuner you had for your 02 is capable of working with the 06 with no problems. However, when you use a tuner, it becomes married with a singe car, unless you "unmarry" it by setting the original car back to stock settings.

If you did this and set your 02 back to stock you just need new tunes and the 06 will be ready to go. If not, you may want to get back in touch with the dealership to "unmarry" the car so you can use the tuner on your new ride.

As far as your new ride goes, you have your head in the right place, an axle back or intake would be a great first start. I would go with an axle back to start, because these cars sound wonderful with a more free flowing exhaust. Either way, you are going in the right direction.

I hope this clears some things up, and if you have any questions, feel free to get back in touch. Best of luck!

-Dan
Old 05-14-2014, 10:00 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Congrats on the purchase.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:48 AM
waykooljr
3rd Gear Member

Like AMDan said, the tuner is married to the '02 and the next owner will most likely need it. Returning it to stock probably won't be an option as the air intake isn't stock, nor is the exhaust, so the tuner is actually part of the car unless you return everything to stock.

I think it'd be best to let the tuner go with the '02 and get a new one for the new ride. You may save the next owner of the '02 from tuning problems.

And congrats for the sweet ride!
Old 05-14-2014, 01:42 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

The new edge v6 doesn't need a tune with the intake so it should be fine by returning to stock

The new edge cars aren't as finicky as the s197s
Old 05-15-2014, 07:59 AM
Rubicon
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info everyone! I did return the 2002 back to stock. I was in chat on AM and received the same info about the tuner. I have the CAI in my cart at AM and wanted to be sure the tuner would work first. So now I'm taking a new tuner out of my cart. AM is OOS of the Pypes Violator Polished so I'm just going to buy the CAI for now.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:21 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Rubicon
Thanks for the info everyone! I did return the 2002 back to stock. I was in chat on AM and received the same info about the tuner. I have the CAI in my cart at AM and wanted to be sure the tuner would work first. So now I'm taking a new tuner out of my cart. AM is OOS of the Pypes Violator Polished so I'm just going to buy the CAI for now.
Great to hear, I'm glad you were able to utilize our chat service those guys really know their stuff. Also, setting the car back to stock definitely saved you and the new owner some headaches for sure.

Let us know how the new intake works out for you. Good luck!

-Dan
Old 05-15-2014, 11:01 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMDanBailer
our chat service those guys really know their stuff.

-Dan
I dont know man....that one chat dude with the silver car is sketchy!

Congtrats OP, you saved some money and your new 06 is gonna rock with the tune. A tuned auto is so much fun. Just order the Borla S types.....best sounding axlebacks out there IMO.

Quick Reply: 2006 GT