Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAI and Tuner help

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 01:56 PM
MrDany

Default CAI and Tuner help

Hey guys. I've got a completely stock 2010 GT 5-speed and I've been looking into getting a CAI for it, problem is with so many choices out there I wanted to get some advice before dropping close to 1 grand on these parts.

To begin with I'd like to know which makes are most popular and trusted. I've seen Steeda and K&N pop up a lot, what do you guys think?

Also, from what I understand to get the most out of the CAI I'd have to get one that requires a tune, so which Tuner should I get, and is there a difference. I've been looking and they go for around $370 bucks, is there any way to go to a shop and use their Tuner so as not to spend the money?

And finally I always fill her up with 93 Octane, are these tuners able to change the calibration for both the CAI and 93 Octane Race Tune? Do you guys even recommend a Race Tune to begin with.

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I get it right.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:59 PM
rjstubbl
1st Gear Member

Go on americanmuscle.com. There are tons of reviews for multiple combos.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:36 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

The stock 2010 CAI is better than any of the aftermarket hot air intakes. Does they stock one make a cool noise? Well no.

The tune will make the difference.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:37 PM
sbradle4
2nd Gear Member

I have a 2010 gt and my car did not like the Steeda CAI. With the tune it would sputter and surge. Thought it was the tune, but then bought an AirRaid CAI and no issues. Definitely look into the air raid and BAMA tunes. Steeda tunes are pretty good too.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:54 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

The tuner is simply a device for storing the new tunes and, when you load a new tune, the tuner will store your stock tune. You don't perform and tuning yourself; the tunes are written by Bama, Brenspeed, VMP, anyone that has the rights to the software. The handheld DOES allow you to make some minor adjustments but the bulk of the performance gains are all in the tunes you receive. You can order tunes for whatever octane you want. Just be sure to FILL-UP with that octane. FYI: a good custom 87 octane tune runs circles around the stock 87 octane tune.

With the '10's 4.6L, your stock (Bullitt) tune is already about 10-12 RWHP hotter than the stock tunes on the 05's thru 09's so you won't feel the same gains. Once re-tuned, you'll be in the same neighborhood as a re-tuned 05 thru 09. In other words, you're already about halfway towards the typical max gains of a tuned 05 thru 09. But it'll still be noticeable.

Most any tune-required CAI should perform equally well, assuming you don't stick with the stock air box.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:15 PM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

You will be very pleased with the Steeda CAI. Our unit is very well engineered ... you can read more about it here:

http://www.steeda.com/blog/2012/03/m...-intake-truth/

I have a 2010 gt and my car did not like the Steeda CAI. With the tune it would sputter and surge. Thought it was the tune, but then bought an AirRaid CAI and no issues. Definitely look into the air raid and BAMA tunes. Steeda tunes are pretty good too.
Whose tune did you have ... ours? Every so often ... a car doesn't react well to a tune or aftermarket part.

We can right tunes for 93 91 & 89 when you purchase the tune & tuner from us.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 05-15-2014, 07:17 PM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

You can email me at tim@steeda.com if you would like me to provide you with support.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 05-16-2014, 11:48 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by MrDany
Hey guys. I've got a completely stock 2010 GT 5-speed and I've been looking into getting a CAI for it, problem is with so many choices out there I wanted to get some advice before dropping close to 1 grand on these parts.

To begin with I'd like to know which makes are most popular and trusted. I've seen Steeda and K&N pop up a lot, what do you guys think?

Also, from what I understand to get the most out of the CAI I'd have to get one that requires a tune, so which Tuner should I get, and is there a difference. I've been looking and they go for around $370 bucks, is there any way to go to a shop and use their Tuner so as not to spend the money?

And finally I always fill her up with 93 Octane, are these tuners able to change the calibration for both the CAI and 93 Octane Race Tune? Do you guys even recommend a Race Tune to begin with.

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I get it right.

Thanks in advance.
Hey,

You definitely have your head in the right place. As you have heard an intake and tune will really wake the car up. As mentioned previously, the Airaid intake is certainly one of the better ones and would be my recommendation for your engine.

As far as the tuning goes, a local shop may be able to write you tunes for your car, however you will still need the physical tuning device to get the tunes from the tune writer's computer to your car. SCT has been one of the leaders in the tuner industry and currently Bama writes more tunes for Mustangs than anyone else in the world. We do offer a combo kit that has both the Airaid intake and SCT tuner with the Bama tunes already on it if it interests you. If you go this route I'm confident that you wont be disappointed, but regardless you have plenty of great advice in the thread.

I hope this information helps and if you have any questions feel free to get back in touch. Best of luck!

-Dan
Old 05-16-2014, 12:59 PM
MrDany

Thanks for the info guys, I'll be doing a bit more research before making the jump but I'm keeping a close eye on the combos at American Muscle.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:08 PM
MrDany

If I get something likes this will the Tuner included in the bundle handle the tune for the CAI and if I decide to go with a 93 Octane Race Tune?

Quick Reply: CAI and Tuner help