Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which tire would you consider to be the best?
Nitto Motivo
26.92%
Continental DWS
11.54%
Pirelli Zero Nero
26.92%
BFG Advantage
3.85%
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3
30.77%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Tire Selection

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 08:12 AM
stevenb101
Banned

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Go to Tire Rack, pick any UHP all-season tire, and go to the 'Tests' page. From there you can find a direst link to the most recent test involving that tire, as well as links to lists of all the tests they've done (you'd be picking UHP all-season). At least one UHP A-S test was done under winter conditions. I tried to give you the direct links to the test list and a couple of tests except they just dump you off at Tire Rack's home page.

In 3-season use, there doesn't appear to be much different between the Conti and the Michelin, though the Conti has the benefit of a much larger amount of experience as based on total mileage reported.

A winter test rated the Conti at the top.

I have a set of Michelin's previous UHP all-season tire (Pilot Sport All Season Plus) for my wife's Subaru during the cooler 4 or 5 months of the year. That's not a fair comparison for being able to get moving in the snow (AWD vs RWD), but their good behavior as far as cornering and braking grip under the same conditions is concerned is definitely good enough for anybody looking at UHP AS tires to put the PS AS3 on their short list.

Norm
I think this is the best way to go.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:05 PM
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

get some nitto invo
Old 05-23-2014, 08:13 AM
stevenb101
Banned

Originally Posted by JayBeStangs94
get some nitto invo
Or you could get some Mickey Thompson too. It's your money by what you like.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:16 AM
bismark64
1st Gear Member

Just purchased Continential Extreme Contact DWS, So far so good. I have a couple hundred miles on them. I'm in Florida so I did not need the snow rating, But I got it anyway as this has a longer tread life than the DW. Not a Bad value either, Cost me $189 each. This car is my DD.
Old 05-26-2014, 01:55 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Be careful when you change tire brands and models. From what you have been running. I tried to save some money and bought a set of tires that were a different brand of what I had been running on my sixxer and they ending up feeling very unpredictable and I never felt comfortable driving on them.

Because of that and the price of new tires on the gt I went with the exact same tire that had been on it so I knew how they reacted

Now if you don't like what you are running now they by all means get seething different
Old 05-26-2014, 08:06 PM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

You can follow the lead from the special teams as well. Saleen, Steeda, Roush, SVT, Shelby, Henessy... all use tires they've specked out for their vehicles. When you get into the UHP segment...its really narrow margin differences between each manufacture/make/model.

I wanted to go with the tires Roush equipped for my summers....then discovered those were the Cooper Zeon RS3-S. These are amazing...AND... they are the same tire as the Mickey Thompson Street comp. Cooper tires owns Mickey Thompson.

My winter Tires are the Pirelli Scottozero serie 3 performance winters. Which BTW...are just as capable as the Cooper - summers. But they maintain grip below freezing and heat up quickly.

If its gonna be daily driven...ya gotta get dedicated seasonal tires and wheels.
Old 06-28-2014, 10:09 PM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

I ended up going with what I originally had, Pirelli Nero Zero A/S. I got a great deal that make each tire 146. I had a lot of success with them in the past and seeing they were in the top 2, I feel pretty confident about the decision to stick with them.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:06 AM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LordRipberger
I ended up going with what I originally had, Pirelli Nero Zero A/S. I got a great deal that make each tire 146. I had a lot of success with them in the past and seeing they were in the top 2, I feel pretty confident about the decision to stick with them.
Sounds like you made a great choice for your needs!

Enjoy.
Old 06-29-2014, 01:00 PM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

I don't know how this makes any sense, but I also feel the car rides better now. I thought with a bigger tire and smaller sidewall it would ride rougher, but it really feels better.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:00 PM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Welcome to the club.

Careful with those all season Pirelli's in the colder seasons... And especially in winter. Snow on the ground renders those shoes almost unusable. If you plan on storing the car for winter... you're good... otherwise... extreme caution or whenever possible... don't drive on a snowy day.

Just saying.
---

Quick Reply: Tire Selection