Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which tire would you consider to be the best?
Nitto Motivo
26.92%
Continental DWS
11.54%
Pirelli Zero Nero
26.92%
BFG Advantage
3.85%
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3
30.77%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Tire Selection

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 08:47 PM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Default Tire Selection

Hey Guys,

I have been shopping tires and have come up with a few. I wanted to know what you all felt is the best to worst. The car is a daily driver and is not tracked. My current tires are the pirelli zero nero and I love them. But before I purchased a new set I wanted to see if I could improve based on the things below.

Here are my interests:
- loudness of the tire
- traction in snow
- longevity (I know tires have a rating on them but in my experience it is usually on the low side)

Please pick which option you feel is best and if you would like to add something, please comment below. If you feel like taking it a step further, after the poll if you would like, put them in order from your favorite to your least.

Thanks.

All links are from discount tire. TireRack and Mr. Tire both had these as well. I just happened to be on Discount Tire last.

Nitto Motivo
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fin...D=cc6yimfswgcs

Continental DWS
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fin...857&vid=009586

Pirelli Zero Nero
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fin...370&vid=009586

BFG Advantage TA
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...2-0026B94F3D0F

Michilan Pilot Sport A/S3 (pricey for me)
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fin...168&vid=009586

Last edited by LordRipberger; 05-17-2014 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:16 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

If you go on tire sites that put tires into more refined categories, you'll find that you're trying to compare apples to oranges so it's very hard to rate them. And as far as performance in snow, most ANY all-season tire sucks in snow compared to a dedicated snow tire and performance tires flat out suck in snow, period.

Nitto Motivo - Ultra high performance all-season

Continental DWS - Ultra high performance all-season

Pirelli Zero Nero - Max performance summer

BFG Advantage TA - Grand touring all-season

Michilan Pilot Sport A/S3 - Ultra high performance all-season

From what I see the Continental slightly out performs the Michelin. The BFG sucks and the Pirelli isn't a very well rated tire. But since you like it, that tells me that you don't push your tires and therefore would be wasting your money on those ultra high performance tires.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:31 PM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

You are correct, I don't push my tires. I have had my pirellis for 5 years and have excellent traction, especially in the snow. My dad has a challenger that moves through snow like a sheet of ice and a few other cars I have driven seem to fish tail easily. I have not had any issues with mine. I have fish tailed about 3 times when loosing traction since i have owned the car (unless I want to that is).

I was thinking about getting dedicated summer and winter tires. However, right now it is more feasible for me to get an A/S tire. I will cross the bridge of owning two sets of tires when I come to it.

Maybe I gave the wrong link, the pirellis are suppose to be A/S.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:04 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Don't knock the Pirelli's (and you're not... I meant others). My wife had the stock Pirelli P-Zero's and she really liked them on her '06 Pony, what with her lead foot.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:36 AM
Art161
4th Gear Member

One thing to consider if you are concerned with road noise from the tires--if the tires are directional, you can't rotate them to a different side of the car (unless you demount the tire from the wheel at each rotation, which isn't a good idea). From what I have read, directional tires get noisy as they wear.

I replaced my original Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S tires with what are now called Pirelli P Zero Nero All Season tires just because the originals were over six years old. They still had 7/32" of tread left with 17k miles on them.

You have the correct link. It is the Pirelli P Zero (no Nero) tires that are the summer ones.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:48 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Go to Tire Rack, pick any UHP all-season tire, and go to the 'Tests' page. From there you can find a direst link to the most recent test involving that tire, as well as links to lists of all the tests they've done (you'd be picking UHP all-season). At least one UHP A-S test was done under winter conditions. I tried to give you the direct links to the test list and a couple of tests except they just dump you off at Tire Rack's home page.

In 3-season use, there doesn't appear to be much different between the Conti and the Michelin, though the Conti has the benefit of a much larger amount of experience as based on total mileage reported.

A winter test rated the Conti at the top.

I have a set of Michelin's previous UHP all-season tire (Pilot Sport All Season Plus) for my wife's Subaru during the cooler 4 or 5 months of the year. That's not a fair comparison for being able to get moving in the snow (AWD vs RWD), but their good behavior as far as cornering and braking grip under the same conditions is concerned is definitely good enough for anybody looking at UHP AS tires to put the PS AS3 on their short list.

Norm
Old 05-18-2014, 06:55 PM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Bump to the top
Old 05-20-2014, 05:29 PM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Keep this poll going.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:14 PM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Bumps
Old 05-21-2014, 08:55 PM
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

Didn't see my choice mentioned ..... so I skipped voting.

I'm going to replace my Pirelli Zero Neros with a set of the Goodyear Eagle RS-A tires.
I know how well they work in snow, rain, and dry as well. Also, they are quiet always.

Last edited by tbear853; 05-21-2014 at 08:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Tire Selection