Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Meguiar's leather cleaner damaged seat

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 06:18 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by Nuke
Did Ford offer tan interior in the '07? It's been awhile and I don't recall.
I know that the Windveil Blue cars came with that combo and it was called Parchment...
Old 05-18-2014, 07:32 PM
02redv6stang

Originally Posted by steel pony
Not saying what you have described isn't true or not, but given the year of the Pony you have listed, i'll throw out these questions that need answered and would most likely be posed by Meguiar's too.

*Did you follow the instructions on the product?
*What did you use (type of rag) to apply the cleaner with?
*What was the previous condition of the interior prior to applying the product?
I say this, because as the other posters have mentioned, only the middle of the seats are actually leather. The outer sides of the seats are vinyl, which are prone to cracking and normal wear and tear over the life of the car (especially the front seats on either side of the center leather section). If they were in some state of "wear", then it is very likely that some of the dye would come up, depending on how you "applied" the cleaner.
*You tested it in a different area...where? Was this area in the same condition as the area that the dye was lifted from? (see previous comment)
*Is this the first time applying this product to the area?
*Were there any other chemicals/cleaners/etc applied recently to the same areas?

Pics would definitely be helpful to gauge the wear or condition of the seats too
What's the best way to get a pic up here? The seats are in good condition, the previous owner took good care for the car. I applied the cleaner with a microfiber cloth and sprayed the cleaner on the cloth first. Gently wiped and off comes the tan or "parchment". I tested it on the back seat toward the bottom no one sits behind me anyway. No other cleaners were ever applied before. And yes I followed the instructions to the t. Just to prevent this from happening. And it was the middle part of the seat which is actual leather.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:03 PM
02redv6stang

Old 05-18-2014, 09:03 PM
02redv6stang

http://s1372.photobucket.com/user/jp...dc8f4.jpg.html
Old 05-18-2014, 09:51 PM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

I do know everytime I clean mine I have to put the shoe polish back on the scuffed spot, are you sure the seats were not dyed before?
Old 05-18-2014, 10:11 PM
02redv6stang

Originally Posted by Siber Express
I do know everytime I clean mine I have to put the shoe polish back on the scuffed spot, are you sure the seats were not dyed before?
No I am not 100% sure they were not. But I do not think they were. I would think if they had of been they would look more like brand new lol.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:10 AM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 02redv6stang
If i'm not mistaken...

That pic looks like the front edge of the seat (where your legs would go). Only the perforated middle section of the seats are leather
Old 05-19-2014, 05:53 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

they have more than one leather cleaner/conditioner product. Are you using the one for car interiors or motorcycles? The motorcycle one looks like it's more suited for naturally tanned leather, which the stuff used in cars is not. The "leather" used for car seats is so dyed and sealed with polymers that it might as well not be leather at all.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:37 AM
02redv6stang

Originally Posted by jz78817
they have more than one leather cleaner/conditioner product. Are you using the one for car interiors or motorcycles? The motorcycle one looks like it's more suited for naturally tanned leather, which the stuff used in cars is not. The "leather" used for car seats is so dyed and sealed with polymers that it might as well not be leather at all.
I used the one made for cars dude. I'm not an idiot lol. I used the leather and vinyl cleaner. Has a picture of a car seat on it. Yeah its the part where my legs rest. And if its not "leather" it still shouldn't matter because it should have the same protective coating on it!!
Old 05-19-2014, 08:04 AM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 02redv6stang
I used the one made for cars dude. I'm not an idiot lol. I used the leather and vinyl cleaner. Has a picture of a car seat on it. Yeah its the part where my legs rest. And if its not "leather" it still shouldn't matter because it should have the same protective coating on it!!
Not sure if it was Meguiars but I used some leather/vinyl cleaner on my seats which are tan in the middle and black on the outsides and it took the black off. I just stopped using it once I noticed it and just used warm water.

Quick Reply: Meguiar's leather cleaner damaged seat