Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Gear Ratio 3.73 or 4.10

Old 06-04-2014, 06:58 PM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

Whichever route you go, if you buy the gears only buy ford racing !!
Old 06-04-2014, 08:43 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

Setting up gears in the 8.8 is an art. I would check around in your area for any Performance shops that specialize in Mustang and talk to them about doing gears. Ford is the last place I would take it. The averages shop tech at a dealership probably hasn't done 3 rear gear changes in his career.

The way the auto in our cars is geared the 3.73's just work better. They make a big difference with normal around town driving. The car really comes alive with more gear. You definitely need a tune, not only for the speedometer but the trans shift points and torque curves need to be modified to get the most out of your new gears. If you don't plan on doing any more mods to the car then a CAI is not needed but if you want the most from what you have, the CAI and a good tune will be worth the money for sure.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:37 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

I also concur that you should be looking for a gear/transmission or better yet, a performance shop with experience doing installs. Don't take it to the dealership. They don't do many swaps for a reason and that's because it's something that is not just plug and go and takes the right level of experience and knowledge to do it right so you don't end up with a whining rear end.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:29 PM
Rubicon
1st Gear Member

Just talked to a speed shop near me, he has a Cobra he is installing gears in Tuesday and will do mine Wednesday next week for $350

Originally Posted by wcgman
I also concur that you should be looking for a gear/transmission or better yet, a performance shop with experience doing installs. Don't take it to the dealership. They don't do many swaps for a reason and that's because it's something that is not just plug and go and takes the right level of experience and knowledge to do it right so you don't end up with a whining rear end.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:48 PM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

I have stock 3.73 gears and there is no way I would switch to 4.10's. I already don't use 1st gear as it is. What I want is a 7th gear so I can do 80 and keep the RPM's lower.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:09 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rubicon
Just talked to a speed shop near me, he has a Cobra he is installing gears in Tuesday and will do mine Wednesday next week for $350
Nice. Make sure you get some friction modifier too. You might have to get that from Ford. Bottle is small and expensive, but it's needed to keep the whining from happening.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:42 PM
2011P51GT
1st Gear Member

My only caution would be around what your future plans are for mods.

If you plan to go FI and big rwhp/tq numbers your will need to do a lot of suspension work to run 4.10s, otherwise you will not hook up.

In other words, if your plan is to build a car for the strip (new springs, dampers, UCA, LCA, and most importantly WIDE drag radials) then 4.10s are the choice.

If you plan only modest power gains then I defer to my more knowledgeable friends on the forum.

My car would NOT hook up easily with 3.73s on street performance tires. When these wear out I will be upgrading my wheels and tires.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:24 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wcgman
Nice. Make sure you get some friction modifier too. You might have to get that from Ford. Bottle is small and expensive, but it's needed to keep the whining from happening.
Any effect the friction modifier has on gear whine is probably just incidental.

What that stuff is for is to keep the limited slip clutch plates sliding smoothly instead of chattering when you're turning (especially slow, tight turns).

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 06-07-2014 at 07:28 AM. Reason: removed those extra blank lines the site insists on inserting automatically
Old 06-08-2014, 04:47 AM
milehighrunner

Originally Posted by dcarlinf1
I have stock 3.73 gears and there is no way I would switch to 4.10's. I already don't use 1st gear as it is. What I want is a 7th gear so I can do 80 and keep the RPM's lower.
My feeling exactly, I have a new 2014 manual with the track package, I wouldn't want more gear at all.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:08 AM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by drewsky
1000 plus threads on this. But the general consensus is... 3:73 for auto and 4:10 for manual..
THIS!

Originally Posted by Derf00
first gear in an auto is shorter than in a manual. So, 3.73 in an auto will feel similar to 4.10 in a manual...at least for 1st gear.
AND THAT!

BUT....the perfect combo imo is a 4.10 gear with an oversized rear tire diameter of 28" (295/45/18 for example). This will lower the effective gearing combined with the oversized tire to about 3.90, the perfect gearing with this automatic transmission. If ur planning on staying stock in tire diameter (27") stick with the 3.73....hope this helps.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best Gear Ratio 3.73 or 4.10