Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeaking from rear right wheel, LCA issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 12:54 AM
kevsgt
2nd Gear Member

Default Squeaking from rear right wheel, LCA issue?

Have this chirping / squeaking noise coming from the back right wheel well. Can hear it when going over small bumps. Then I put the car in park, and when i push the car to move it forward/backward it chirps as well. I have stock rear suspension.

I've found a few threads that may be related. Here is one:
https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...sion-lcas.html

It seems like it's the LCA's? I had the front LCA's replaced at 60k miles, related to the TSB for them. I am now at 90k miles. Is it time to get new rear LCA's also? Or just new bushings? Or just add lube to the bushings? Or perhaps I just need to tight one of the two screws in the LCA?

I found this video which gives me a good overview of what the LCA's look like under the car. Sounds like torque on those two screws is 129 ft-lbs, I guess I could check that first.

I also read that it may be related to:
UCA's,
Panhard bar bushing,
Shocks,
the rubber exhaust hangar,
the parking brake cable equalizer.

Thanks for your feedback.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:55 AM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

Every beginning of summer (when I was in AZ) my whole suspension would squeak and make creak sounds. Little WD-40 on all the bushings fixed it right up. I'd try that as well as giving everything a good tightening before buying new parts. Also, did the front lca's make any difference? Did you go aftermarket or oem? I'm curious cause I'm looking to replace mine within the year.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:56 AM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

Forgot to mention exhaust hangars as well.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:42 AM
kevsgt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by drewsky
Also, did the front lca's make any difference? Did you go aftermarket or oem? I'm curious cause I'm looking to replace mine within the year.
I had gone with the Ford Racing front LCA's made for the GT500, which had gotten high reviews and have the larger bushing as suggested by the TSB. I think they were a bit cheaper to get myself versus whatever the dealership had quoted for their part. Labor cost for the install seemed a bit steep. I did not notice much difference in the ride; I simple got them because mine were worn out early, too much play in the bushings according to the dealership.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:05 AM
kevsgt
2nd Gear Member

anybody?
Old 06-06-2014, 09:48 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

Mine started squeaking about 20K miles, along with sloppy sway bar bushings.
I used WD 40 to narrow down the sound, it seems like it takes about 10 minutes of driving for the squeak to go away after hitting the right spots. Inho, squeaking = excess wear, and some rubber components don't like some types of lubes-so I have a set of J&M lower control arms setting on my work bench waiting for me to install them.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:33 PM
kevsgt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chromeshadow
Mine started squeaking about 20K miles, along with sloppy sway bar bushings.
I used WD 40 to narrow down the sound, it seems like it takes about 10 minutes of driving for the squeak to go away after hitting the right spots. Inho, squeaking = excess wear, and some rubber components don't like some types of lubes-so I have a set of J&M lower control arms setting on my work bench waiting for me to install them.
Cool, I've got a Silicone WD-40 that I'll try.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:36 PM
kevsgt
2nd Gear Member

Here is a video of the noise.

Old 06-08-2014, 03:12 PM
magnido45
2nd Gear Member

Keep us posted if you're able to narrow down the exact component that's causing the squeak/chirp.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:53 AM
kevsgt
2nd Gear Member

So I sprayed some Silicone WD-40 on the front bushing area of the LCA, and that stopped the noise for about 2 days. It's back now, but I guess I isolated the problem area. I will try some more this time, but I'm doubtful that it can squeeze into the area it needs to be.

Quick Reply: Squeaking from rear right wheel, LCA issue?