Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

disabling traction control with a toggle switch???

Old 06-07-2014, 06:28 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default disabling traction control with a toggle switch???

So i went to the track and again I forgot to turn off traction control before doing the burnout. Looked stupid! I know there is a way to have it default to off by using a relay. The traction control button is just grounding a wire, so can't we just add a toggle switch to ground to have it disabled when you start the car?

God that crap is embarrassing!
Old 06-07-2014, 07:03 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Search is your friend....found this earlier today.....hope it helps.

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-foru...isable.744305/
Old 06-07-2014, 07:09 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I did google it and found that post, but he didn't say what wire he was grounding. I assume the white/pink wire, but there are 4 wires I think going to the switch. It also sounded like he was asking if it would work, like he hadn't actually wired the switch yet. maybe i'm reading it wrong.

I could just wire it into my line lock switch and I'd never have the problem again.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:54 PM
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
I did google it and found that post, but he didn't say what wire he was grounding. I assume the white/pink wire, but there are 4 wires I think going to the switch. ... etc ...
I believe some of those wires go to the other switches in that group, but you are right about white wire / pink tracer.

In several Ford CV police cars I just wired a jumper around the button with a toggle. On it disabled TCS every start. Off and the TCS function operated as it does now. Toggle was easy to secure under dash near steering column. TCS is murder on rear brakes when working stationary radar or doing a quick flip to go after one the other way.

Last edited by tbear853; 06-10-2014 at 06:52 PM.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:37 AM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

Maybe one day you will want or need the traction on? Rain or snow? I make it my habit to start the car, hit the tcs switch then put on my seatbelt haha. Personally I would want the option rather than messing with wires.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:59 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by drewsky
Maybe one day you will want or need the traction on? Rain or snow? I make it my habit to start the car, hit the tcs switch then put on my seatbelt haha. Personally I would want the option rather than messing with wires.
I too make it a habit to turn it off, but always forget while inline at the track. Adding a toggle will not disable it, just default it to off unless you flip the toggle switch. I'll do some investigating today using a jumper.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:18 AM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Doesn't the line lock reset once you have released the brakes on your launch. It would suck to have TC activate mid launch. I think a simple toggle should work.....just unplug the one wire and see how it functions.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:18 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

I saw a post here where someone added a relay which made the default- TC off when you started the car.
You could hit the TC switch to turn it back on. I didn't save it, but the diagram looked like it would work.
I'll see if I can find it.

edit:https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...ercharged.html

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nk...d=120333093976

Here are a couple of links, your probably ahead of me and already found these. I'm pretty sure I saw a wiring diagram to make your own.. All add it if I can find it.

I did see a post where the OP did what you are suggesting and put a switch in line with the power to the TC, basically acts like the TC fuse in blown. If removing your TC fuse disables the TC, you could put a meter on the TC switch, put the fuse in and then remove it to find the hot wire to the TC switch.

Last edited by Chromeshadow; 06-08-2014 at 10:39 AM.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:46 AM
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by
I saw a post here where someone added a relay which made the default- TC off when you started the car.
You could hit the TC switch to turn it back on. I didn't save it, but the diagram looked like it would work.
I'll see if I can find it.
That's another website, or at least the "source" I saw was .... and it uses a relay activated by the radio feed when ignition switch is turned on to ground that same white w/ pink tracer wire ..... but in my way of thinking, no need for the added relay (that can also fail) that is gonna do it every time. It's not a high amp load, a toggle is easy to flip to off if wet / rain / etc.

To make that relay circuit "switchable" at driver's discretion also requires a switch so you have only added complexity past the switch. There's not a steady current on that wire, it just activates or deactivates the TCS when grounded, like stock does not matter how long you hold the button in, it's that initial contact that signals TCS off or on. Only when contact is broken and then reapplied will the TCS switch back.

Like, say you have a toggle (or relay with toggle) set to "on" so TCS is deactivated at start up. If driving and suddenly decide you want TCS activated (rain / wet leaves / snow / whatever reason?), you would have to flip toggle to "off" and then either press stock TCS button ....
.... or flip toggle back to "on" to activate TCS.

If you had simply used the TCS button, just press again to deactivate like stock ....
.... but if you had chosen instead to flip the toggle back "on" to activate TCS, then you'ld have to cycle the toggle again to "break" that contact that you made activating the TCS and then you are back to decision point of use TCS button or the toggle?.

Originally Posted by
you want the White wire with pink stripe. I just confirmed that it does turn off traction control when you start the car by grounding that wire.
And a single toggle with two legs .... one leg to that wire, like "just spliced in" .... and the other leg to ground .... when set to "on" will deactivate TCS at every start up .... until switched to "off".

Last edited by tbear853; 06-10-2014 at 06:52 PM.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:52 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AzPete
Doesn't the line lock reset once you have released the brakes on your launch. It would suck to have TC activate mid launch. I think a simple toggle should work.....just unplug the one wire and see how it functions.
I'm not using it to launch, just to do a burnout. the linelock is always hot and flipping the switch grounds the circuit. so if I hook a wire to the white/pink stripe wire of the tc switch, as soon as I ground the circuit, traction control will go off and the brake will be locked. when I flip the line lock off, the TC will stay off until I flip the switch again. so it really won't work to well to hook it to the linelock switch, because every other burnout I will be turning traction control back on. that's assuming the car stays on.

For anyone interested. You do not need to remove anything to access the TCS wire. Just flip down the glove box and reach your hand up in there and unclip it. there is plenty of slack to pull the connector out the glove box hole and cut/splice in another wire or however you want to do it. there's only one plug for all those switches and you want the White wire with pink stripe. I just confirmed that it does turn off traction control when you start the car by grounding that wire.

Last edited by moosestang; 06-08-2014 at 02:21 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: disabling traction control with a toggle switch???