Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sea-Foam Advice Please.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 01:49 AM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

Default Sea-Foam Advice Please.

Next week I'm going on a road trip from Cali to AZ and back. Been wanting to run seafoam through my 06 GT for some time now, and hear it's best to change your oil afterwards. I need an oil change soon so I figure it's a good time. So was thinking put some though the vac line and maybe a little in the gas tank and run it on the freeway for 6 hour drive. HOWEVER I don't want smoke billowing out my exhaust like crazy and get pulled over (stupid Cali laws) or just have it be straight out embarrassing. Then I could change my oil in AZ and drive back. Good plan? Option 2 would be to just run seafoam when I'm in AZ then change oil all when I'm there..

So the real question is, how long before it stops smoking? Should I just run it for a day when I'm there or run it on the freeway and blow white smoke the whole way? When does it leave the system..
Old 06-09-2014, 02:21 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by drewsky
Next week I'm going on a road trip from Cali to AZ and back. Been wanting to run seafoam through my 06 GT for some time now, and hear it's best to change your oil afterwards. I need an oil change soon so I figure it's a good time. So was thinking put some though the vac line and maybe a little in the gas tank and run it on the freeway for 6 hour drive. HOWEVER I don't want smoke billowing out my exhaust like crazy and get pulled over (stupid Cali laws) or just have it be straight out embarrassing. Then I could change my oil in AZ and drive back. Good plan? Option 2 would be to just run seafoam when I'm in AZ then change oil all when I'm there..

So the real question is, how long before it stops smoking? Should I just run it for a day when I'm there or run it on the freeway and blow white smoke the whole way? When does it leave the system..

It's only going to smoke for a few minutes and only if you put it in through the vacuum line. Be careful if using it through the vacuum line. Mine started dieseling after I shut the car off. The seafoam in the hot combustion chamber was igniting without spark! Sounded like real **** and can't be good for the motor.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:58 AM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

I see no need for seafoam in a vehicle that is driven on a regular basis. With all the classics and old cars I have had, I have only used it a couple of times with so so results. The old mechanic at the local dealer showed me how it causes the plugs to show a hot burning situation and weakens the ability of them to last. To each his own though.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:20 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AzPete
I see no need for seafoam in a vehicle that is driven on a regular basis. With all the classics and old cars I have had, I have only used it a couple of times with so so results. The old mechanic at the local dealer showed me how it causes the plugs to show a hot burning situation and weakens the ability of them to last. To each his own though.
This....

I have always changed my oil regularly and beating on it every once in awhile clears anything out that can be building up... I pulled a valve cover off my old 4.0 with 80k+ miles and it was clean as a whistle in there.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:27 AM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

If you use a gas with detergents (i.e. Shell etc) it allready cleans the system out, plus some WOT pulls here and there help too.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:29 AM
allenmaty
1st Gear Member

I've used that on my old 4.6l, I'd pull the PVC valve out and put it in the sea foam can, make sure the engine is hot and let it suck it up until the engine stalls. Let it sit for about 5 minutes, then start it up. There will be white smoke billowing out of your exhaust for a few minutes, but it will clear up after you drive it around the block. Just be sure to warn your neighbors not to call the fire department. I'd usually do it at dusk so the smoke was not as noticeable.
You will notice a smoother running engine.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:13 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

don't bother. if you maintain your car and drive it regularly, you don't need to waste the time and money on "seafoaming" anything.

And all of the smoke that comes from "seafoaming" is the light oil it contains being burned in your combustion chambers. Do you really want to intentionally burn oil in your engine?
Old 06-09-2014, 11:23 AM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

Hmmm. A few mixed reviews, but most saying to stay away all together.!
Old 06-09-2014, 11:50 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by drewsky
Hmmm. A few mixed reviews, but most saying to stay away all together.!
I mean, it's unlikely to do harm (unless you draw it in too fast and hydrostatically lock the engine) but it's highly unlikely you have a problem in the first place. Advocating Seafoam for an engine is akin to selling tiger-repelling rocks.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:30 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I'd use this instead if you really want to put something through the vacuum line. I don't think it's much different from seafoam, but at least it comes with a fool proof method to get it into each cylinder more evenly.

Amazon Amazon

I have a can sitting in front of me right now and I'm going to take a before and after video of the piston tops. I'm betting it doesn't removing any of the burned on carbon.

Quick Reply: Sea-Foam Advice Please.