Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel lock and rim issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 03:40 PM
dsd1983

Default Wheel lock and rim issue

Got a new set of wheels for my wifes 2007 mustang. They are the saleen 20 inch wheels to replace the stock ones.

I got them mounted and balanced and shipped to me. Put them on and now I have an issue.

First off I noticed when I was putting on my last wheel (passenger side) i noticed that there were two retainer type washers on the rotor and it was causing the wheel not to sit flat on the rotor. i removed them and it went on as normal. Since I noticed this i went and checked the driver wheel that I had already put on (i did not notice the retainer on it) and went to take it off to check. Well low and behold the damn wheel lock stripped out. The key will go on the pattern but slips everytime i try to turn it. It is not coming off. So I then said well maybe it is ok and I wont need to take it off. I looked at the wheel and noticed a slight gap on one side of the wheel. I guess that wheel had one retainer on it and i was able to get the wheel on with out it wobbling like the passenger side did which threw up this red flag. Now my driver side wheel is stuck on there and i checked the gap on the one side of the rotor with a feeler gauge and it came up to .017 and the other side is flush.

So my question is

#1, any ideas how to get this wheel lock off? And I did try my craftsman set of wheel lock removers and the lug is too close to the side of the lug hole opening in the wheel, in other words I cant get the remover on to get this thing off. There is also not enough room to beat on a socket and get this thing to come off.

#2, how much of a concern is this gap on my rotor? will my wheel come off in time or be a problem, worst part is this is my wifes car and she doesnt pay attention to vibrations or whatever, as long as the car starts she will get in and go without a second thought. i dont want to turn her loose in the car if this is going to cause her a safety issue. She is also planning to take this car to florida in the next week.

Can anyone weigh in on this?

Thank you
Old 06-10-2014, 03:56 PM
dsd1983

here is a pic of the wheel, i thought of trying to weld on something to spin it off but i think i will mess up my wheel if i try to weld something on the recessed wheel lock
Attached Thumbnails Wheel lock and rim issue-img_20140610_165103.jpg  
Old 06-10-2014, 05:13 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Can you drive a socket over the outside of the locking lug nut? Then a ratchet...

A cutting wheel to notch it where you might get a chisel into with a hammer.

Try splitting the lug nut with a chisel.

Use some painters tape to protect the wheel finish.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:32 PM
dsd1983

I dont think I can get a socket over this wheel lock. I tried several different sockets and it is a no go. The key for the lock uses a 13/16 socket, if I try to go up to 7/8 it is too big for the hole in the wheel. I dont have a 22mm socket handy and am unsure that will help.

I thought about trying to use a cut of wheel like you said, but the wheel lock is recessed and will not be able to be notched.

I havent tried the chisel yet, but it is next up. Before I do that, I am going to call around to some shops locally and tell them what happened and see if anyone wants to make some money fixing this.

Check out the picture I attached earlier in the thread so you can see what I am dealing with here.

Thanks for the insight!

Doug
Old 06-10-2014, 11:50 PM
krazykevin
2nd Gear Member

been there, done that... I took mine to a body shop and they charged me an hour but got it off. No clue how they did it. I prefer the splined lug nuts: look better, still takes more than a regular socket to get off, and cannot be stripped out.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:49 AM
waykooljr
3rd Gear Member

Maybe you could take it somewhere that can weld a nut to the lock so that it can be removed.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:13 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

what brand wheel locks?
Old 06-11-2014, 02:03 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by dsd1983
Got a new set of wheels for my wifes 2007 mustang. They are the saleen 20 inch wheels to replace the stock ones.

I got them mounted and balanced and shipped to me. Put them on and now I have an issue.

First off I noticed when I was putting on my last wheel (passenger side) i noticed that there were two retainer type washers on the rotor and it was causing the wheel not to sit flat on the rotor. i removed them and it went on as normal. Since I noticed this i went and checked the driver wheel that I had already put on (i did not notice the retainer on it) and went to take it off to check. Well low and behold the damn wheel lock stripped out. The key will go on the pattern but slips everytime i try to turn it. It is not coming off. So I then said well maybe it is ok and I wont need to take it off. I looked at the wheel and noticed a slight gap on one side of the wheel. I guess that wheel had one retainer on it and i was able to get the wheel on with out it wobbling like the passenger side did which threw up this red flag. Now my driver side wheel is stuck on there and i checked the gap on the one side of the rotor with a feeler gauge and it came up to .017 and the other side is flush.

So my question is

#1, any ideas how to get this wheel lock off? And I did try my craftsman set of wheel lock removers and the lug is too close to the side of the lug hole opening in the wheel, in other words I cant get the remover on to get this thing off. There is also not enough room to beat on a socket and get this thing to come off.

#2, how much of a concern is this gap on my rotor? will my wheel come off in time or be a problem, worst part is this is my wifes car and she doesnt pay attention to vibrations or whatever, as long as the car starts she will get in and go without a second thought. i dont want to turn her loose in the car if this is going to cause her a safety issue. She is also planning to take this car to florida in the next week.

Can anyone weigh in on this?

Thank you
When you say the wheel lock stripped out, you mean the head (lock part) or the threads on the lug itself?
Old 06-12-2014, 07:37 AM
dsd1983

Originally Posted by Derf00
When you say the wheel lock stripped out, you mean the head (lock part) or the threads on the lug itself?
Where the key inserts into the wheel lock is the issue. When you put the key in and try to turn it, does not grab. It just spins and leaves metal shavings. The key pattern in the wheel lock is the issue, it is pretty much gone.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:39 AM
dsd1983

Originally Posted by Andy13186
what brand wheel locks?
Not sure of the brand of wheel locks. They use a key and the key way in the lock is stripped.

Quick Reply: Wheel lock and rim issue